Author Topic: Radisson - 2010 / Ivy & Princess  (Read 204923 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Radisson - 2010 / Ivy & Princess
« Reply #4905 on: November 07, 2010, 14:20 »
1419 hrs (local) - Sandy looks to have had some lunch on the Radisson sign and now looks to be having a mid-afternoon snack on the northside Rogers sign - she's on the "R"

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4904 on: November 07, 2010, 12:14 »
1200 noon (local) - bird hanging out on the Hydro logo - right at the top ... too far and a bit too breeze at altitude for me to get more than an outline and a white breast.  It does look to be the size of a female though, so probably Sandy still hanging about.  Will be interesting to see if she will be around next weekend when we are back to seasonal temperatures and potentially snow ...

Environment Canada
Sunday - Sunny with cloudy periods. Wind south 20 km/h. High 14. Tonight a few clouds. Low plus 1.
Monday - Sunny. Wind becoming southeast 20 km/h early in the evening. High 12. Tuesday - Cloudy with 30 percent chance of showers. Low 7. High 11.
Wednesday - Cloudy with 30 percent chance of rain showers or flurries. Low plus 1. High plus 4.
Thursday - Sunny. Low minus 5. High plus 4.
Friday - A mix of sun and cloud. Low minus 5. High plus 2.
Saturday - A mix of sun and cloud. Low minus 5. High zero.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4903 on: November 07, 2010, 12:08 »
Just curious....how do other falcons know to stop at the Radisson? The hotel is not the tallest building down town. there is food flying around all over the city? Just want to know how they know??

The falcons are looking for spots to roost (at this time of the year) and places to nest (in the spring).  It might seem simple to think that any roof will do, but its not that easy I'm afraid, they aren't looking for flat tops, but rather cliff ledges - small horizontal space, inaccessible to predators, good nearby vantage points beside the nest and nearby from which to watch the nest, spots to roost, spots to preen, spots to eat, spots to court/pair bond, spots to defend the nest from.  And many of these spots are mutually exclusive. They use the Hotel's antennae, the window ledges (chicks mostly) both signs and the nest ledge.  They also use other signs - Hydro, Rogers, Royal Bank, Canada Post, City Place and the Richardson sign.  Haven't seen them use the Canwest sign, might be too exposed to the wind.  They use other buildings too - Kensington, Paris, Sterling, Royal Bank, Canada Post and the dome at the corner of Garry & Portage.  Most of those buildings are lower and have architectural features that make them different from the steel and glass around them.  Kensington is a steel-and-glass, but its right across the street and its really only Ivy who has used it.

The Radisson downtown is unique in that hit has a nestledge on every single window ledge or in the cast of the east-side nest ledge, on a small roof.  We improved the appeal of the nestsite by installing nesting boxes that had more protection, had pea gravel (a requirement and not common on rooftops anymore) and was where the birds were going anywhere.  The Radisson is only one of 5 buildings downtown that had nestboxes on them - it is the only building they chose to nest on despite about 10 years of releases at these other sites. The features they like on the Radisson can be found at every other site they nest or where there is a history of roosting on migration or where non-breeding juvenile birds hang out.

Does that help ?

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #4902 on: November 06, 2010, 18:55 »
Just curious....how do other falcons know to stop at the Radisson? The hotel is not the tallest building down town. there is food flying around all over the city? Just want to know how they know??

Peregrines version of Fodor's Travel Guide.

Nice image, msdolittle.

Also,  peregrine falcon on the i, west side of hydro building around 5:00 this afternoon!

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4901 on: November 06, 2010, 09:37 »

Peregrines version of Fodor's Travel Guide.

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4900 on: November 06, 2010, 00:48 »
Had a few sightings of fly-by's  this morning, but that was it!

Offline Mother Hen

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #4899 on: November 05, 2010, 07:40 »

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4898 on: November 04, 2010, 20:20 »
A-B being?????  Let me guess, something of a detour?? ::)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #4897 on: November 04, 2010, 19:18 »
East Rogers sign at 10:00 and in the nest box at noon...just passing through from point A-B by way of Downtown.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4896 on: November 04, 2010, 15:15 »
I wonder who it is? ???

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4895 on: November 04, 2010, 09:22 »
Bird on the East Rogers sign at the moment.

Offline Mother Hen

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #4894 on: November 04, 2010, 09:06 »
I see her! I see her! Right now on the west nest

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4893 on: November 03, 2010, 20:51 »
I could see speckles high on her breast through the binocs this afternoon - no peek at any bands though.....

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #4892 on: November 03, 2010, 17:21 »
Anyway to capture a photo as it appears on -I'm guessing- your computer?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4891 on: November 03, 2010, 15:56 »
1555 hrs (local) - bird took the meal back to the box, too much wind blowing her around down on the sign.  Bird does have a black over green band on her left leg like Sandy but lots of US birds have that.  The angle of the light at this time of the year makes it difficult to get a good look at the band number and markings on white like the speckles on the breast.  Still doesn't look like Sandy but I'm willing to be proven wrong ... if s/he will cooperate long enough for me to get a brief look at her/his band ... the wind doesn't help matters either ...