Author Topic: Saskatchewan / Regina - City Hall - 2009-2013 / ? & ?  (Read 14889 times)

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: City Hall - 2012 / ? & ?
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2012, 22:29 »
Perhaps Dennis should introduce his brother and Wowser to Allikat.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2012, 22:13 »
Well....I hope someone finds them! 

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2012, 18:59 »
My brother with his Little Wowzer has been checking this site as well...with no luck  :(

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2012, 09:26 »
Thank you Allikat for keeping an eye on this site for us.  I still haven't heard back from the Sask gang so now that the return and nesting rush has past, time for me to get poke at them again for some information. 

More news when/if I get some :)

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2012, 06:00 »
Too bad. It was so exciting to think that Regina might have a nesting pair. (But maybe that's why they aren't as visible?!)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2012, 23:01 »
Hello All!!!

My apologies...well, unfortunately, not much to report.  I've been downtown watching, looking up, looking down for any birdie parts as there is a wonderful park close by with lots of available, "munchies".  It's a great spot for them to nest, due to the Wascana Water Fowl Park, a short feather swoop away.  Really wish there was something available here for updates, but.....nothing!

Perhaps I'm there at the wrong times, which is quite possible, albeit, frustrating, but, I haven't seen anything that resembles a peregrine.  Doesn't mean they aren't there....maybe they just know they're being watched.  Those little buggers!!!

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2012, 17:50 »
Walked to City Hall and sat around for awhile.  We didn't really see anything except maybe a couple large birds very high up just soaring.  Could have been Peregrines but I didn't have good binoculars so can't be certain.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2012, 14:52 »
As well, it puts in perspective how darn lucky we are!

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2012, 14:51 »
That's too bad that not everyone can see the innermost working of their city's Peregrine world. Thanks for filling us in on how that works.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2012, 10:12 »
Is there an avian biologist at the University there or is there a naturalist group that can help? It would be great to know more about a pair in the Queen city.

The short answer is no.  Longer answer is that there are people who keep an eye on them but that's because they've been doing it since the program began so its sort of a habit.  In Saskatchewan the peregrine isn't on their provincial species-at-risk list like it is here, and here its really just volunteers who keep track of the darlings - if it were government run, chances are they could assign a biologist probably a couple of hours month (staff time) to oversee the program and most of that would be reporting, not the rest (webcams, photos, videos, blog, forum, etc ...) so it would be pretty much invisible ... which may be the case in Saskatchewan.  From everyone I've spoken to, the people I've been contacting are the ones to speak with.  With luck, they are just really busy with it being spring and all that ... I'm not getting responses from a couple of other sites either and I know they will get back to me when they can, so that's cause for optimism.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2012, 07:05 »
Drove by city hall today...didn't see anything.  It was gorgeous here today so perhaps the falcon(s) were basking in the sun?! 
I just wish there was some more active websites/forum to visit for updated information.  It's a tad frustrating! 

Guess all I can do is keep my head up, eyes and ears open....

I haven't heard anything at all from Sask yet Allikat, I'm sorry.  But I am still trying!
It's disappointing that there isn't as much information at ones fingertips.  The sites that have continuous updates, pictures, webcams, forums and watchers... enjoy and respect it!!!  Because, here in Regina, I don't have it!!!  Hmmm, my mind is thinking though...too bad I'm way too busy at work this season, but, perhaps, only perhaps, I could get something going in Regina for our beloved falcons?!?!?!  Wouldn't that be a treat!
Is there an avian biologist at the University there or is there a naturalist group that can help? It would be great to know more about a pair in the Queen city.

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2012, 06:30 »
If you had the time it would be great Allikat.  But I believe it would take a lot of your time.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2012, 23:32 »
Drove by city hall today...didn't see anything.  It was gorgeous here today so perhaps the falcon(s) were basking in the sun?! 
I just wish there was some more active websites/forum to visit for updated information.  It's a tad frustrating! 

I haven't heard anything at all from Sask yet Allikat, I'm sorry.  But I am still trying!
It's disappointing that there isn't as much information at ones fingertips.  The sites that have continuous updates, pictures, webcams, forums and watchers... enjoy and respect it!!!  Because, here in Regina, I don't have it!!!  Hmmm, my mind is thinking though...too bad I'm way too busy at work this season, but, perhaps, only perhaps, I could get something going in Regina for our beloved falcons?!?!?!  Wouldn't that be a treat!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2012, 09:25 »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2012, 23:19 »
I do hope to provide news and as many updates as I can!  Stay tuned!!!