Author Topic: QC / Montréal - l'Université de Montréal - 2009-19  (Read 48719 times)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Montreal - 2010 / Roger & Spirit
« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2010, 18:10 »
Thank you, Alison. 
I'm grateful the cam page is bilingual, as it is slow going for me to read French.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2010, 18:01 »
bcbird, here is the link to the cam:

http://ornithologie.ca/faucons/

And the blog:

http://fauconsudem.blogspot.com/

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2010, 17:55 »
I really appreciate the updates, Carly and Elaine, as I can't find the link to this cam or chat.  Has it been posted anywhere on the forum?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2010, 15:41 »
From what I just saw on the chat, it looks like a boy Horus and a girl named Eve !

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2010, 13:02 »
The chicks have settled down and seem to have forgotten their big adventure this morning, but mom and dad are still upset and on full alert.  Roger, the male, has been flying by the nestbox repeatedly, vocalizing, while mom, Spirit, is still agitated.  She is glued to the nestbox with the chicks, but she is not happy.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2010, 12:34 »
They just finished banding the two chicks at the Univ. of Montreal.  It is all over now, but the parents and the chicks are still stressed.  The parents were furious and attacked the banding team during the process, according to what I read on the live chat.  Everyone should settle down soon, I hope, but right now they are all the nestbox, mouths open, and mom does not strike me as being the best-natured falcon around.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2010, 13:23 »
Now wouldn't that be interesting if Polly did take the other chick to another nest to care for! 8) Who knows? But probably highly unlikely.

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2010, 12:50 »
Polly hasn't been seen since May 11th - Some are wondering if she took the 'stolen' chick to another nest to care for, (probably not but who knows) ...some think she's finally flown the coop.  ??? - If so it's probably just as well for the well-being of this nest!!!  8)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2010, 19:33 »
. . . mom goes out to catch a pigeon once in a while. It usually takes her less than one hour to catch one - I think her dad Buckeye passed on the good genes ;-)

I think you're right! Buckeye was famous as a great hunter, and he also passed his abilities on to his son Rocky.

There is a poll to vote for names for the chicks on the blog:

http://fauconsudem.blogspot.com/

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/293025/Noms-des-fauconneaux-de-l-UdeM

The chicks earlier:

And a few minutes ago:

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2010, 07:22 »
Two comments from EVE

Not seen Polly still since last Tuesday - but I'm not worried about her. I'm sure she's OK or she would be here begging to her parents...!! I would be surprised if she was far, I think we'll see her again in the next weeks.

Yeah I "lost" Polly for a week in the past. Maybe she's gone with a new boyfriend? :-)

I am pretty sure she dropped the baby when Roger was chasing her and when she realized what it was, because she was back on the tower in no time (less than 5 minutes), and stayed there for at least half an hour. Spirit was looking for it right after Roger came back, I followed her hoping she would lead me to it but no luck. Then when she was back in the box I tried to search where Roger was looking, he also seemed to be looking for the third baby. Unfortunately Polly flew toward the city so there is a lot of places and roofs where it could have fallen. If it was in the cemetery in the other direction it would have been easier for me... I have a very good view of the second box from my window, the baby is not there unfortunately.

At least the two remaining are doing very well! I was concerned that Polly would steal from Roger and prevent him for doing his dad duties but it's not the case, he's really good at bringing starlings and small birds and mom goes out to catch a pigeon once in a while. It usually takes her less than one hour to catch one - I think her dad Buckeye passed on the good genes ;-)  

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 22:14 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2010, 22:27 »
And, I guess that means the parents are willing to still have her around, if she still comes by?

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2010, 18:43 »
She hasn't around much Eve said but she did visit a few times last week and behaved herself.
Good! :-*

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2010, 17:30 »
Any more news as to how Polly is doing with the remaining chicks at this site? Is she leaving them alone? ???

She hasn't around much Eve said but she did visit a few times last week and behaved herself.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2010, 14:27 »
Any more news as to how Polly is doing with the remaining chicks at this site? Is she leaving them alone? ???

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2010, 13:37 »
I've read and re-read Wayne's note and he really isn't providing anything new or any real insights into what might have happened here, or rather nothing concrete.  That perhaps shows how difficult it is to find a reason for Polly's behaviour ....