Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

QC / Montréal - l'Université de Montréal - 2009-19

<< < (33/56) > >>

bev.:
a few shots from today

thumbnails so click on each picture

bev.:
I watched the banding and the taking of the chicks form the nest box. Mom was still in the nest box, when they opened the back door. she backed out but stayed on the perch for a bit. thankfully they lowered  a net over the front because the second chick backed right up and would have been out of the box. Scary to watch.

You could see the 2 legged people up there  on outside cam as things were happening inside. They heard them on the roof first and started chupping .

As soon as net was removed , and they went to their room to band Spirit was back in the box and Roger was cacking up a storm.

I knew they would have fun putting the chicks back ;) ;)

I will post my slideshow but their cam inside was very blurry .

The Peregrine Chick:
From the photos, the chicks look fat and healthy, a testament to their parent's parenting skills.  I suspect the four hours until their next meal was more stressful on the parents (they being so agitated) than on the chicks.  At this age, they can wait this long and longer between meals without difficulty, particularly since there are only two at this site, their is more food for each at each meal anyway. 

Just as a note, bander or predator, the parents' response would likely be the same, so if they were anonymously living on a cliffledge somewhere and had a close call with a predator, the chicks probably would have had to wait the same amount of time before their next "snack".

Elaine L:
Those poor chicks, Eve and Horus, had to wait 4 hours yesterday after banding to get fed by their parents.  From what I could understand on the web site, the parents were too agitated to even think about feeding them, and were flying around the area, watching for the return of the hated banding team.  But finally, Roger dropped off the food, and mom topped up the chicks, who were mightily pleased to finally get some food, and all's well that ends well.

Alison:
The chicks still look displeased about the whole banding thing:

Spirit arrived:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version