Author Topic: AB / Warburg - Genesee Plant - 2009-18  (Read 86717 times)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Genesee - Capital Power - 2012 / ? & ?
« Reply #545 on: July 16, 2012, 13:46 »
One chick in nestbox, the other gone.  The one in nestbox keep looking around the side, so the other chick may be on the platform there.  Now, this one in box is really exercising his wings, so I think he is ready to go.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #544 on: July 12, 2012, 18:35 »
Looks like the one chick is almost ready to fledge.  :)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #543 on: July 09, 2012, 21:33 »
These two look like they are hot. :)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #542 on: June 29, 2012, 09:07 »
Thanks for the report bev  :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #541 on: June 29, 2012, 08:34 »
the chicks here are doing well. the are fat and are both males. they are still bothered by flatflies or mites but were dusted.

they would not have all survived if the younger 2 were not removed. Food is plentiful here but we had a hicup with food coming in. I truly believe the male is new as we do not see him at box as we did when eggs first hatched. Cannot be sure but that is all I can think of.  Whatever was going on as settled down. we did go out to observe and the male seemed to be on a vacation. There were 2 adults there though

So food is good now   and have to hop for good fledge.

here is direct link to a little slideshow - http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x135/fullbrandt/2012%20falcons/?action=view&current=3f66c8b6.pbw

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #540 on: June 27, 2012, 22:25 »
Reports from BCAW, the chicks are both male. :)

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #539 on: June 27, 2012, 14:50 »
Chicks are back, safe & sound :D

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #538 on: June 27, 2012, 14:32 »
I just saw them take the remaining two chicks from this site for banding. :o  Mom keeps looking, what the heck ??? ???
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 14:35 by MayShowers »

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #537 on: June 26, 2012, 13:01 »
Chicks are having a meal now. 

It looks like it was a little snack that they cleaned up in a hurry.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 13:08 by MayShowers »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #536 on: June 25, 2012, 17:08 »
I know that Gord is very knowledgeable, bev, so he did what he believes to be the right thing - and as you say, it IS a recovery program - good for Gord and good for the chicks. :-*

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #535 on: June 25, 2012, 15:42 »
It also helps to have such "easy" and safe access to remove the chicks.  Nice planning!

I find it interesting how many sites have problems with mites etc - guess we have just been very lucky and/or our winters are so cold that nothing survives!  ;)

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #534 on: June 25, 2012, 15:41 »
Thanks Bev,  this is just my my personal opinion, but I'm glad they are all getting a fighting chance :)

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #533 on: June 25, 2012, 15:39 »
Thanks bev, I'm glad Gord is on the peregrine's side. :-*

I agree with you RCF. 

Also I think Gord knows what he is doing and what is best.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #532 on: June 25, 2012, 15:37 »
Thanks bev, I'm glad Gord is on the peregrine's side. :-*

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #531 on: June 25, 2012, 15:11 »
Sorry, I have not got back to you. I have been away since Thursday. But keeping close track of Genesse while away.

The little chick was born well after the others. Normally at this site there would not have been a problem. but the food was very skimpy. sometimes only one feed a day.

We were afraid we had lost the male as he had not been seen  The chick was fading and Gord had noticed this too. Please  do no think I rule Gord. But I called him and he was going to go out there and remove the chick. He decided to remove the other smallest one, to give the last 2 a chance to survive with the food supply coming in. If the female  was not getting help , 2 chicks would be easier to handle.

the 2 he took out were infested with mites. the smallest one was being sucked badly. He said that it was very dehydrated, underweight and would not have survived, the night.
some do not go up to nests and pull chicks, but  Gord does not let them die, if can be helped. After all, it is a falcon recovery program.

Gord is under the opinion , that they should all have a fighting chance.
these 2 will not be put back there because the adults are not providing enough food. the remaining 2 will be banded and dusted with powder this week.

We have no real way of knowing who the male is , but it is not banded , and the one bringing in food during incubation, was banded.

As Elaine said , when we went out there we saw 2 but the male did not seem committed. He seemed to be on a honeymoon. Let us hope , he steps it up.

the 2 remaining chicks are looking good so far.

Rest assured, thee chicks would not have been pulled if there was any other way, because Gord also believes , their best chance , is with their parents, or 2 other adults.

those who do not believe in intervention, well, I think should look at the whole program. Man interfered, the moment he helped put them on the endangered list years ago. this is just helping them to recovery.