Author Topic: AB / Warburg - Genesee Plant - 2009-18  (Read 86608 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Genesee - Capital Power - 2012 / ? & ?
« Reply #530 on: June 21, 2012, 13:40 »
Thanks for the updates, Elaine & Jazzerkins. :)

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #529 on: June 21, 2012, 13:22 »
I read on the web site that the two taken away will not be returned to the nest.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #528 on: June 21, 2012, 10:08 »
Thanks for ground report Elaine.  :)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #527 on: June 21, 2012, 10:04 »
Also:  The biologist plans to dust the two little chicks for the mite infestation, and then he will go back to the nest box next Thursday to band the remaining two chicks and dust them also if the mites are still a problem.  If we notice that they are not being fed regularly during the next few days, then he, or an assistant, will return to the nestbox to take out the chicks.  I don't know if he plans to return the taken chicks to the nestbox; I guess this depends on how well they do, and also, he does not want to stress the adults more than necessary.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #526 on: June 21, 2012, 10:01 »
Bev, Peter and I went out to Genesee yesterday afternoon about 4:30 to check on the situation.  As you all know by now, Gordon, the biologist, removed two of the chicks after Bev called him yesterday about our fears that they were not doing well, and that they were not being fed regularly.  We felt we had to go out to see what was going on, because we had not seen the male around for a couple of days, and the feedings were so irregular that the chicks were close to starving, from what we could tell.  Anyway, we got out there and saw three birds of prey, but we were happy to see, upon closer inspection, that one was a hawk, parked on a tower off to the left of the nest site.  The hawk was happy as he has lots of gophers around to eat; these little guys were so funny and playful it was fun to watch them, but anyway, we were happy to see we had two falcons.  One is a new male, and we have no idea where the old male went to as we cannot access the grounds around the falcon tower to look for evidence that he is dead.  This new male seems to get along fine with the female, but he is spotty about bringing in food.  We hope that now that there are only two chicks in the nestbox, it will be easier for the female and her new mate to feed and take care of them. 

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #525 on: June 21, 2012, 08:12 »
... Nestboxes and birdboxes even bird feeders can be where birds catch them which is why birdboxes and feeders need to cleaned with bleach each year...
Hmm, I didn't know that all of these should be cleaned with bleach every year. Good to know. We do clean our backyard bird feeders every year, but not with bleach. Have you ever cleaned any of the nestboxes with bleach, TPC? ??? As you say, I'm sure the adults don't appreciate you messing around with their nestboxes too much.

No we don't use bleach on the nestboxes, we let nature do what she does best - and they are not small like birdboxes (small, enclosed and sheltered so more protected than nestboxes) and aren't prone to contamination like bird feeders (where lots of individual birds eating intensively). 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 08:15 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #524 on: June 20, 2012, 22:47 »
... Nestboxes and birdboxes even bird feeders can be where birds catch them which is why birdboxes and feeders need to cleaned with bleach each year...

Hmm, I didn't know that all of these should be cleaned with bleach every year. Good to know. We do clean our backyard bird feeders every year, but not with bleach. Have you ever cleaned any of the nestboxes with bleach, TPC? ??? As you say, I'm sure the adults don't appreciate you messing around with their nestboxes too much.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #523 on: June 20, 2012, 22:29 »
They took the two smaller chicks here today...  
Posted by bev on BCAW - Gord just called me...the little one would not have made it past tomorrow. he was dehydrated and full of mites.

I'm surprised to hear that they did this. Is this typical intervention, where PF Recovery Projects are concerned? Does anyone know what the plan is for these 2 chicks? Would they be returned to the nestbox if they were healthy enough? And how is a chick treated for mites? ???

Alberta moves/removes chicks more than most I think, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, Gord the biologist mentionned above is one of the most knowledgeable peregrine biologists on the continent, lots of experience and they have enough pairs in the province that if they need to move chicks to safer locations to be fostered they have options.

Mites are not uncommon on birds (pelicans are the worst in my experience), weaker birds tend to be more susceptible to infestations.  Mite treatments are usually a spray as I recall.  They do it more in the states than we do.  We don't seem to have a problem here with infestations, might be that we have longer, colder winters which pretty much sterilizes nestsites.  Nestboxes and birdboxes even bird feeders can be where birds catch them which is why birdboxes and feeders need to cleaned with bleach each year.  We clean out the debris and try to make sure that the gravel has the opportunity dry out before the winter.  And we change the gravel when it gets too foul - but we don't that every year, the adults really don't like when you screw around with their nestboxes.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #522 on: June 20, 2012, 22:10 »
Posted by bev on BCAW - Gord just called me...the little one would not have made it past tomorrow. he was dehydrated and full of mites.

I'm surprised to hear that they did this. Is this typical intervention, where PF Recovery Projects are concerned? Does anyone know what the plan is for these 2 chicks? Would they be returned to the nestbox if they were healthy enough? And how is a chick treated for mites? ???

You may want to ask bev about this, she knows the biologist who took them out.  Maybe she can answer your questions.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #521 on: June 20, 2012, 21:54 »

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #520 on: June 20, 2012, 17:09 »
They took the two smaller chicks here today.  video - http://youtu.be/kCVpju0CP4w

Posted by bev on BCAW

Gord just called me.  so the little one would not have made it past tomorrow. he was dehydrated and full of mites.

http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?p=197880#p197880

« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 17:52 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #519 on: June 14, 2012, 10:20 »
we are keeping a clsoe watch to make sure 4th chick gets enough. Lots of food but he is very small in comparison

here is a slideshow of this mornings feed

slideshow trying new format. click on link I always put start and end on shows

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x135/fullbrandt/2012%20falcons/?action=view&current=ab984865.pbw

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #518 on: June 12, 2012, 08:44 »
Early feed this morning and all four were fed.  :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #517 on: June 11, 2012, 20:45 »
The fourth chick hatched at 6:54pm.  Mom must have it under her, you can see the egg shell.  :)

This is wonderful news! :D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #516 on: June 11, 2012, 20:30 »
The fourth chick hatched at 6:54pm.  Mom must have it under her, you can see the egg shell.  :)