Author Topic: AB / Warburg - Genesee Plant - 2009-18  (Read 86351 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Genesse - 2011 / Mr & Mrs Genesse
« Reply #410 on: May 09, 2011, 20:57 »
HI TPC.

I had sent in the bands to biologists and I think they forgot to reply. It is   so busy around here.
WE know it is TR male and I am sure same female from last year but I will get them to confirm.

Thanks Bev - when it comes to band numbers, I have so many of them running around my head that I always check  ;)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #409 on: May 09, 2011, 20:51 »
HI TPC.

I had sent in the bands to biologists and I think they forgot to reply. It is   so busy around here.
WE know it is TR male and I am sure same female from last year but I will get them to confirm.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #408 on: May 09, 2011, 20:49 »
so far the TR male is doing great . He is incubating  and doing his share. Sometimes the female leaves for about 4 0r 5 minutes and eggs are alone but it is warm here today.  I saw him incubate 4 times today. I can not be here all the time

Yesterday Peter and I went out to Genesse for a few hours. They gave us a better and safer place to view but we are still quite a ways off. We are not allowed in compound. We did look around the whole outside area for the other male. I found a big pile of fluff and feathers and my heart sank, until we saw some of the feathers had blue in them. Peter said probably a duck.

While there we saw the male perched above box , so now you know where he perches and why you see her look up. when he flies off he calls.
He flew off after we were there for an hour and flew and soar around the area and then was back. We went to several different vantage points and saw no other falocns. Some hawks and crows and little birds.

then he flew down onto front perch. She flew off and he went in. She flew  onto roof corner of an adjacent  building. After 7 minutes the male came on perch, and flew off to north east and she flew down and up to perch of nest box. Then he made his way in and she waited till he landed on his perch and then she went in.

We had to leave but when I see this site, I wish all our falocns were as lucky to be out in the country like this

A slideshow. Pictures are tiny but it will give you an idea of what they do. -

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #407 on: May 07, 2011, 23:24 »
Hey Bev,

In your slideshow (which is tres cool), the bird in slide 291 has what looks like a black band and the image looks almost clear enough to get a band number ... do we have identities on your pair here this year?

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #406 on: May 07, 2011, 19:56 »
Yesterday I saw Tr male spend brief time with eggs but today I saw him stay 3 minutes and  incubate. Good sign.

That is a good sign, bev. And great slideshow, by the way! :D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #405 on: May 07, 2011, 19:48 »
Yesterday I saw Tr male spend brief time with eggs but today I saw him stay 3 minutes and  incubate. Good sign.
I wasout most o f day but things looking good so far

Please ignore my spelling . I am always in a hurry. :-[

slideshow -

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #404 on: May 06, 2011, 05:20 »
Me too Bev.  I will forever have the image of him hugging his eggs in desparation that final time we saw him in the box burned in my mind.  He looked so upset.   I hope he finds a new nest and a new mate.  :-*

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #403 on: May 05, 2011, 23:14 »
Elaine.
It appears the unbanded male was chased away  by TR male. We hope to go out this weekend . MOthers Day. It is my day, so this is what I choose(weather permitting. will call you.

He was not harmed last year and I hoping the same this year.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #402 on: May 05, 2011, 14:51 »
I think he was chased away by the transmitter male.   

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #401 on: May 05, 2011, 13:30 »
Maybe I missed something, but what has happened to the unbanded male?

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #400 on: May 05, 2011, 11:13 »
they are working on stack where nest box is so she is distracted a bit but it looks O.K.  and other thing look good also

At about 9:26am the TR male brought in an offering and she came behind him. she left and then he left with bird

she is now on eggs

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #399 on: May 05, 2011, 11:08 »
so yesterday afternoon the biologists went out to site and repalced the eggs of female with artificial eggs.

What has happened is that the female here has laid 3 eggs with the unbanded male. The last one was probably laid on Saturday or Sunday. Cam was down on weekend so we are not sure.  And just before biologists arrived , she laid number 4 ;D

The resident male ,with Transmitter, just came back from migration on Monday morning.  There has been lots of action. It appears the resident male has taken his site back.  but last year when this happened , they lost a whole clutch of eggs .

the resident male has been courting the female(who he  has spent other seasons with) but it  appeared she was too busy incubating. Tuesday night he presented her with a gift , but he has not shown interest in incubating as yet. and  they were afraid she may abandon the eggs  , or spend too much time away from them,if she had to feed herself. to make sure this clutch is not lost , the biologists took the eggs and replaced them with dummy eggs. The eggs will be incubated  and they will see what plays out here.

If they become a team then eggs will probably be replaced.  Wait and see

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #398 on: May 04, 2011, 17:32 »
A slideshow with a bit of yesterday and some of this morning -

TR male brought in a gift of wing last night which was a good sign.  And today egg #4. I think it must be other males though.  I will share rest of day later. Very important

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 22:36 by bev. »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #397 on: May 04, 2011, 17:10 »
this slideshow is from yesterday morning when TR male came in . When female left he stayed  and when he left she came right back.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #396 on: May 04, 2011, 17:07 »
Here is a slideshow when the unbanded male came in on the evening of May2. I did not get him incubating on camera but he did incubate for awhile and then he got up , I think TR male was around then and he looked nervous. He went back in box and lay behind his eggs.
this is last time I saw him on cam but I am sure he is not far away.

Click on picutres -