Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 177749 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #889 on: August 08, 2008, 08:51 »
I know how you feel.  I have a doctor's appointment and will have to leave the office at 1 for the afternoon and I'm afraid to go now..lol!

I'm at the Etobicoke site in Toronto Bev, the west end of Toronto.  I've met Mark and his wife this summer during fledge watch a few times.  One day he brought his fancy telescope to the site and I got to look through it, holy cow you could count the feathers on the birds wings - it was so good!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #888 on: August 08, 2008, 08:45 »
I still have not left. boy, I am nervous today. I still think she needs to be here a few more days. but who am I ?? ;D ;D she is looking on that roof though.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #887 on: August 08, 2008, 08:35 »
I should be gone but...

I think mom is showing her how to get to the roof and I am scared to go out but I have to. 
Mom was looking up so dad may be circling around up there again.

when we released the transmitter female this year we had the T,V. there.

I t;thought of asking the university hospital to put a camera in their waiting room. but The students who are supposed to be manning this should be thinking
of these things.  I send them ideas. I even went down last year and introduced
myself to them so they would know who I am.

Where are you Carly??In ontario. I follow those cams and correspond with Mark Nash and I know there is one down there.

Mom was peeking in the window.  Cassie just looking at her. 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #886 on: August 08, 2008, 08:10 »
Oh boy, something is up!!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #885 on: August 08, 2008, 08:05 »
I think she will fledge either today or tomorrow but that's just a feeling and I'm hoping like you she will go left and land on that roof top we see in Cam 1. 

The building I"m in here is all glass and the nest box is at the very top so I know how you feel.  We've had a few in the past crash into the glass and in fact our little Perry here did this year too, fortunately he wasn't going fast enough to do anything but stun himself and that's when he came down, dad broke his fall and we picked him up and he was okay.  I have faith in our Cassie!!

I'm wondering if perhaps some publicity couldnt' entice the uni to do more to help you...here they help out because it brings them good publicity and makes them look environmently concious.  What if a bunch of us emailed them and made them aware that people all across the country watch and butter them up a bit ?  Can't hurt and I"m willing to participate.  Maybe we could somehow bring it to a newspapers attention in the future?  Nothing like a tender bird nest story to appeal to nature lovers.  It might even bring out people to help with fledge watch next year.  Honestly, I didn't even know there were Peregrines on top of the building I worked in until they put a camera up in the lobby and the rest as they say is history.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #884 on: August 08, 2008, 07:46 »
I asked  Lisa at the uni to ask them to put decals up and no reply.  I am so flipping mad.  I have tried everything I can.  I am praying for this young one and if my willing her is enough ,she will be fine.  how ever, in the fall I am approaching the University Hospital administration and asking them for a bit of help.  (LIke decals and flags on the walkways, )  If I have to pay for the decals out of my own pocket I will.
It is like hitting your head against a brick wall here.

Having said that , Cassie was in fine form this morning.  Those pictures last night were awesome Allison.
I forgot to mention , how big she looked up there.
Carly, I was not going to post the picture of all the buildings surrounding her area but I taught you should know. We were all surprised when the big one started going up .

I have to go and work out , but I will be back.  I still do not think she is ready yet, but she did appear to be eyeing the roof this morning.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #883 on: August 08, 2008, 07:40 »
Early morning workout:

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #882 on: August 08, 2008, 06:53 »
7:52 am and our girl is out on the perch, back to me.  Honestly if not for the brown at the tips of her tail you'd think it was mom out there.  She's looking around again...mom probably zooming by food again >:(

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #881 on: August 08, 2008, 05:24 »
Ack!  Great now we can all share your fear!  High glass buildings- we need those bird decals to paste up the windows with :(.  Gees sure have a picture now of her challenges.

Thanks Bev for all the updates and pictures.  Thank your hubby too for us please.

oh and it's 6:23 am EST; just on quickly before I get ready to head for the office.  I can see moms shadow in the darkness on the perch unless Cassie slept outside last night  :P

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #880 on: August 08, 2008, 01:15 »
A few pics from this evening. Cassie looks quite comfortable on the outside perch.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #879 on: August 07, 2008, 23:41 »
Oh, Bev, these are such helpful pictures in getting the scene straight.  My mind boggles at...  there in a flash. Only a few blocks over...
What it must be like to fly and soar as they do!  The nest box looks so HIGH and its rails so skinny, I get a better sense of your apprehension watching Cassie flap.
Okay everyone, sleep well, tomorrow is another day of wing strengthening, heart stopping action!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #878 on: August 07, 2008, 22:57 »
Sorry about my spelling on other page. i am tired so I will say good night and hope for good things tomorrow. Like stay at the nest. ;D ;D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #877 on: August 07, 2008, 22:54 »
Now bear with these pictures. I am going to borrow my son-in-laws again, but tonight I just had my small one so put on your imagination hat ;D ;D. I just want you to see what I am talking about. I hope this puts things in a little perspective for you.

In this one , mom came form her perch and went to the roof of that building and circled  around back of it and in front of nest box and just did this circle a few times with prey in talons

This where the parent were perched the other day when we were there and I said the young one could see them.

This is the unfortunate stuff that has gone up in the last few years, so talons crossed here. I f she stays up she is O.K.

This is taken from a distance so yo can see where mom and dad roost. Dads building is behind moms and Cassie can see them both from her nest box. They can be there in a flash. Only a few blocks over

On moms building there are these balconies that she can perch on and tear up prey that dad leaves for her. Last  year the young perched here

Not a good picture , but our miss tonight

The blob is dad on his tower looking out over everything

dads tower( on the red building below is where I found the last year youngster after she fledged. she may have been other places but that is where I found her after I rushed down

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #876 on: August 07, 2008, 22:31 »
Bev, thank you for the detailed description of your evening of watching.  Please thank your husband, too, because his support of your efforts is also important.  
It is reassuring to realize how closely the parents watch their young one.    

The CPF folks told me that the parents don't like them to fledge close to dark as that would make it difficult for all of them so they will feed them if it gets close to dusk to keep them at home.  If they land somewhere they shouldn't, like too low they would be susceptible to other predators including us humans once it gets dark.  It's easier when it's daylight because they can follow them and if they go too low, they will try to get them up higher. 

That's neat, isn't it.  Mother knows best!
Bev will be relieved, for this evening anyway.
That's where I meant my comment to be.  

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #875 on: August 07, 2008, 22:23 »
Thanks for the update, bev.  I envy you!  And thanks to your hubby for being so accommodating.   :D