Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 177748 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #904 on: August 08, 2008, 15:09 »
She is in on the inner perch keeping cool.  I love the way they hold their wings to keep cool
the only thing we could see for them to look down on was oeple walking and pigeons flying by.  the pigeons here fly fairly low when they see mom and dad as they seem to know they do not go that  low to catch their prey.

Lots of pigeons here but dad likes his franklin gulls :) :).
flying by.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #903 on: August 08, 2008, 15:00 »
Well I'm back and our girl is still home, surprised but relieved  :D.  The heat is probably keeping her mellow after all that excitement this morning! 

Have a great vacation bcbird!  NO worries, I post everytime she lifts a talon it seems..lol..so you will have a play by play when you get back!

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #902 on: August 08, 2008, 13:33 »
Black asphalt gets so hot.  Best she doesn't try to head to her rooftop then, as she might scorch her tender talons and misstep into a premature fledge!   

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #901 on: August 08, 2008, 13:26 »
It is very hot today so hopefully she goes inside that mess for awhile. Not a good thing to fledge in the heat. 31 C.  It is to get cooler again by Sunday.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #900 on: August 08, 2008, 13:20 »
Last years female was 45 days old in those pictures.  This one is 43 days  old today.

I am watching. 

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #899 on: August 08, 2008, 12:10 »
Suddenly, she was gone from cam 1!  Whew, just inside with a need to pick over the leftover buffet.  That girl is able to move as quick as mom!   

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #898 on: August 08, 2008, 11:56 »
Late start to the morning here.  What a lot of great pictures to catch up on.  Last year's babe at 5 days before fledge were especially interesting.  That one looked younger, to me, than Cassie does now.  Our girl has really no baby fluff left.
She's awfully calm now, that makes me nervous..lol!  She keeps looking in different directions but with a measured look as if she's judging the distance, "okay if I fly left it's a few quick flaps, if I got right it looks pretty risky and but there's a balcony at least  :P

She is such a composed little one, I get the same impression of deep thinking, plotting possibilities.   
Today I have to pack up, leaving tomorrow for two weeks "going to the lake/cabin"  and realizing I will likely miss the fledge.  Occasional checking in online up at the village library is possible, but I will miss this unfolding day to day adventure very much.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #897 on: August 08, 2008, 11:36 »
She's awfully calm now, that makes me nervous..lol!  She keeps looking in different directions but with a measured look as if she's judging the distance, "okay if I fly left it's a few quick flaps, if I got right it looks pretty risky and but there's a balcony at least  :P

I have to go out for a few hours for an appointment, hopefully she'll wait for me  :D

Offline dodobird

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #896 on: August 08, 2008, 10:36 »
Isn't she magnificent!!! She looks eager to go today. Just stay away from all those nasty windows, Cassie.

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #895 on: August 08, 2008, 10:32 »
Food drop it looks like.  Second breakfast  :P

If anyone ever tells you  that 'you eat like a bird', its not a compliment...   ;D

wish i had their metabolisim... yum..

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #894 on: August 08, 2008, 10:27 »
I unfortunately jsut got back and have to run for an hour but i do not think she is going anywhere soon.

Sorry Carly, I meant Wind, his mate for a few years.  he two-timed on her a few times.  Rhea Mea chased her off at the end of last season. the young ones had just fledged and we are hoping they were O.K> and there was never any sign of Wind. I am hoping that she made it through O.K>

Wind whistler was not seen this year , either.  Tiago, his son, I believe , is Rheas mate.  someone thought they saw him once but I am not sure.

I will ask Mark all these questions when I e-mail him.  today is a good day to do that.

Cassie is back out on the perch.  she does look gorgeous. :) :)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #893 on: August 08, 2008, 10:24 »
No refresh here at work  >:( - I'm hoping she'll wait til tomorrow so I can see - in the meantime, keep us posted of any excitement!!  8)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #892 on: August 08, 2008, 10:10 »
Food drop it looks like.  Second breakfast  :P

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #891 on: August 08, 2008, 09:32 »
Windwhistler was born here at Etobicoke site and is the brother of our male Marco here.  He is quite famous here and very well loved by everyone, that's how I heard about him - he was quite the romeo!  The way everyone talks about him, it's with such fondness that I just assumed he was still around.  :(

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #890 on: August 08, 2008, 09:00 »
I figured that was the site you  were referring to. Last year I wrote Mark all season and this year I have been too busy and Have only corresponded a few times.  I must sit down and get caught up with him.  We had several tearful moment through the e-mail over Windwhistler  at the end of last season at Toronto Sheraton.
I got someone else into your site this year .  He even went to the banding.
I am going to post a few pictures from last year.  the first one was 5 days before she fledged and mom was up top.

I am just posting these to give you  a  comparison . I best go now
Last years mom on to and babe on pad(5 days before fledge)

Last years babe 5 days before fledge

Parents dropped prey on pad and she thought What is this???

« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 09:15 by bev. »