Author Topic: Radisson - 2024 / Pandemic & Hazel  (Read 17972 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Radisson - 2024 / Pandemic & Hazel
« Reply #133 on: August 04, 2024, 13:18 »
It seems that the camera has been down since sometime yesterday.  I know that TPC was talking about changing the angle again.  Maybe something went wrong?

Not sure, could have been though there are a couple of steps between the camera and YouTube.  Even if we don't change the view, YouTube starts to nibble on it after awhile.  The system is lovely because a) is easy to use, b) free and c) works.  Where it has a bit of a problem is when we run things 24/7 - its designed to broadcast short events, an hour or a day, but weeks on ends plays with its brains.  Fair enough.  We are working with our partners to find a way for me to get access to the encoding software (ya, not as simple as here's by cam feed, broadcast it on YouTube I'm afraid).  If I can get access to the encoder, then when it goes down, I can reset the stream on YouTube and reboot the encoder stream myself which theoretically could make the process a bit faster - esp on weekends - last two "nibbles" have occurred on weekends - Murphy's Law.

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #132 on: August 03, 2024, 17:49 »
It seems that the camera has been down since sometime yesterday.  I know that TPC was talking about changing the angle again.  Maybe something went wrong?

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #131 on: August 03, 2024, 13:26 »
I like Solstice.

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #130 on: August 03, 2024, 12:53 »
Agreed with Jinx avoiding names for now - Dennis will have his namesake when it's the obviously right/strong/healthy/successful one!!  :-*- What would be even nicer is if this namesake birdie returns to Winnipeg multiple times in the future.  ;D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #129 on: August 03, 2024, 12:18 »

2)  We give her an unrelated name and save giving a name in Dennis' memory to a bird that has made it through year one (5-7 out of every 10 chicks dies in year one).  Tot started hatching the Summer Solstice so we could go with that theme for her - Solstice, Summer, Persephone, Litha etc - instead.   We do have other chicks in the province, at least 6, none of whom I have/will be able to band safely.  Chicks that have been rescued do seem to have a high rate of survivorship so its possible we could still name a 2024 chick after Dennis or we wait until the time is right.

Anywho, that's where I am at the moment with naming Tot  ... comments?

I prefer option 2, to avoid possible jinxing.

Sole chick. Solstice!   ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2024, 14:28 »
Okay, name for Tot time.

Like a number of others likes the idea of naming a peregrine in Dennis' honour but there is a jinx/superstition component.  If we can find a name for this or another chick that ties to Dennis (and yes I have a couple of ideas) and the chick dies in the next couple of months, do we do it again next year?  After a number of years of naming chicks after people and having them die shortly thereafter, we got very superstitious and cautious with names.  I think y'all have heard me say this before. 

So, my inclination is hold off on naming Tot after Dennis - wouldn't like to jinx her especially as she is a solo chick and they often take more risks than they should do.  So far she is being good - at 37 days old (today) she hasn't gotten out of the nestbox yet - which is much better than I thought when she started wandering out on the balcony at a younger age than previous Radisson chicks.  Could be this will be the case with Hazel's and Pandemic's future chicks or maybe it is a one-off and she will the exception.

Two options to my way of thinking ....

1)  We wait and see how she does before naming her - but once she leaves the nestbox we may not ever see or hear from her again.  With only her parents to hang with, she may not come back to the box or the Radisson.

2)  We give her an unrelated name and save giving a name in Dennis' memory to a bird that has made it through year one (5-7 out of every 10 chicks dies in year one).  Tot started hatching the Summer Solstice so we could go with that theme for her - Solstice, Summer, Persephone, Litha etc - instead.   We do have other chicks in the province, at least 6, none of whom I have/will be able to band safely.  Chicks that have been rescued do seem to have a high rate of survivorship so its possible we could still name a 2024 chick after Dennis or we wait until the time is right.

Anywho, that's where I am at the moment with naming Tot  ... comments?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #121 on: July 22, 2024, 11:20 »
Would have been nice for Tot to have a sibling to hang around with, but at lease she is nice & big and healthy!!  :D ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2024, 10:23 »
After we switched over to the new view all was working great and Tot was visible and playing around.

No idea if the switchover caused it or if it was just YouTube Live running into a problem, but we lost the feed.

But we are back now - our partners at Rogers got the encoder software working again and we are back up and running.  When/if we do another switchover this year, we'll automatically reboot the system I think, maybe that will reduce the chances we'll have to do it on a weekend!