Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

ON / Toronto - Apartment Block - 2008-14

<< < (20/56) > >>

carly:
No worries TPC - honestly the description was waaaaaaaaay over my head but the word 'shattered' to describe a bone doesn't sound promising. :(

The Peregrine Chick:
Still don't know how low (close to the wingtip) the break is - needs to heal strong enough to support weigh and tolerate the kind of pressure a peregrine's flying/hunting style requires.  I'm not being negative folks, just giving you a heads up that even if it does heal well, it is very likely it won't heal well enough for him to be re-released ...

Liz:
Cool news, carly!  He's healthy, and that's the most important thing!  I just hope the pig doesn't get fat! LOL 

carly:
Update on the resident male's condition from Mathew:

When we first examined him we discovered he has a carpometacarpal bone fracture and it appeared to be broken in several spots. There were two openings both dorsally and ventrally where the bones have punctured through. So, we cleaned up his wing and bandaged it up so he wouldn’t move it and then took him to the vets the next day for and x-ray. The x-ray showed that his carpometacarpal bone on his left wing was in fact shattered but with the bandaging it was in relatively straight in alignment. Our biggest concern at the present time is to make sure that the wound site does not become infected and it’s so far so good. We have him on antibiotics and some pain medication to make him more comfortable. So unfortunately for now it’s just a waiting game to see how everything heals. I know that all of this information doesn’t sound all that great but on the bright side, the peregrine himself is doing quite well. He’s very bright and alert and eats like a pig!

...he is going to be out for the rest of the season at least. Unfortunately I can’t give you a definite answer as to whether or not the wing will fully recover as these kinds of injuries are difficult to assess and it is a little too soon to tell at this time, but we are doing everything we can.

allikat:
Oh here we go...Woo Hoo!!!  2 Males here..okay, now we just need a lot more!  Come on Princess and Trey..males please, and Transmitter Girl & Beau (I think I got that right) , and Radisson &  Damon!!!  We need Tiercels!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version