Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

ON / Toronto - Apartment Block - 2008-14

<< < (40/56) > >>

Pam:
That is very sad news indeed. 

Alison:
Some very sad news from the Toronto residential area cam site:  :'( :'( :'(

"December 3, 2008

In the ongoing effort to keep folks updated, it's unfortunate to share the news received today.

After a cross-check of band IDs with our Ministry of Natural Resources, it was unfortunately confirmed that a Peregrine with Canadian band 92 over X, (US Fish & Wildlife band #112604701) was found deceased in Toronto on a recorded date of Oct 28, 2008. The band corresponds to Mascota.

This information may have been available sooner through other channels, but today is the first we're hearing of it.

The MNR commented that this exemplifies the plight of an at-risk species, the high mortality rate they face during the first year, and explained that this is why the recovery of a species takes so long.

Personally and echoing your thoughts, yes, this is a letdown. Again, as I've said before, I'm still appreciative for all we have and continue to learn about the falcons, that is a big upside we can all take away from this.

We have, and if required will continue to do our part to assist in the recovery process. Our role only extends so far, the most difficult part is faced by the falcons."

We have now lost all three of the beautiful juvies from this site - first Spartacus. then Vega three days later, and now Mascota. So few survive; and yet so many people just can't wait to take them off the endangered list. The challenges that face peregrines are endless.   

A few photos from the short lives of these precious birds. All photos are by Mathew Rossi.

Mascota in front:                                                                         Mascota on the right:

The last two pics were taken after Mascota's first flight, when he landed on the ground.

maggieblue:
Mathew Rossi has posted some new reports and pictures of this Toronto pair on their ledge in the snow.  8)  I wonder if they are going to stay around for the winter? 

http://www.asic.ca/peregrinefalcons/

Liz:
I am SO sad about Spartacus and Vega.  I enjoyed watching all of them, and was glued to my screen the day of the last fledge.  To repeat -- an airport really is a bad place to be.  I too hope they come back, and find a better place next year. 

maggieblue:
Some good news to report.  A juvenile, almost certainly Mascotta, has been photographed back on the nest building.  And mom and dad have been back at the nest ledge having some quality time.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version