Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2009 / Ivy & Jules  (Read 82309 times)

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
West Winnipeg - 2009 / May
« Reply #232 on: May 12, 2009, 12:33 »
Don't know where the apartment block is but have they actually laid their eggs on the balcony there?

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #231 on: May 12, 2009, 11:14 »
hopefully your plan will help them out here Tracy. I know last year Radisson did not incubate right away.(being her first year) But our experienced male took over and then she came around very nicely. this year a different story. both doing well.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #230 on: May 12, 2009, 10:16 »
I have no idea Ballywing, I think its just to make up for our abbreviated year last year.  Still don't know what the Brandon birds are doing - last week they hadn't shown signs of settling down yet but our man in Brandon will get back to me when he has news.  As for the WW birds, no idea, even they should know that their current location is not ideal.  As for Trey & Princess, I think its because they think I need some excitement in my life - using the penthouse condo would have been way to easy  ::)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #229 on: May 12, 2009, 06:36 »

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #228 on: May 12, 2009, 00:30 »
How come all these little 'Dipsticks' like to choose the tricky, challenging, less than ideal locations for nesting?  ??? - Just to drive us bananas I guess!  :-\

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #227 on: May 11, 2009, 22:52 »
This is shaping up to be a very exciting week TPC! 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #226 on: May 11, 2009, 21:46 »
These little dipsticks have chosen a location where they are easily spooked - they are both very quiet birds (that may change if they manage to hatch their eggs) and Jules is much more skittish than Ivy.  He's more willing/able to stick it out.  They would have started to incubate with egg number three they just aren't as stick-to-it as Trey and Princess.  Not unusual for young/inexperienced parents and yes, we have plans to perhaps help them out a bit this week.  Not sure that it will work but its at least an idea that might make it easier for them to do get into the groove.  Since Dennis will be there, you can be sure there will be photos  :D

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #225 on: May 11, 2009, 19:36 »
Not sure. 
There have nested in a covered spot (I believe that's correct), but I think kinda forgot that they needed to be able to easily incubate their clutch..don't think that happened.  TPC has somethin' up her wing   :P

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #224 on: May 11, 2009, 16:25 »
I'm wondering....did these two crazies get down to incubating today?  Not sure how your observing this. 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #223 on: May 11, 2009, 11:03 »
Someone needs crazy glue them to their eggs  ::)
Just kidding, they could rotate them to incubate them properly if I did that.  Do have the urge to do it, let me tell you!!!

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #222 on: May 11, 2009, 11:00 »
Ack!! - Somebody needs to give these first time parents a set of instructions maybe  ???

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #221 on: May 11, 2009, 09:00 »
0800 hrs (local) - both Ivy and Jules were sitting on the railing by the nest.  Hopefully this is just shift-change behaviour because they need to be seriously sitting on these eggs at this point.  They can't keep hopping on and off or their eggs are going to bake.  I'm hoping its just because its morning and activity and that they get back on the eggs for the day.  That shouldn't hurt the eggs.  Will keep you all up-to-date.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #220 on: May 11, 2009, 06:36 »
A number of new photos have been added.
http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/west_wpg_peregrines

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #219 on: May 09, 2009, 17:39 »
I never thought of investigating this site!!!! 3  eggs that is good and if you can help that would be even better. How long has the pair been together?? What are the ages? 

Sorry Mother Hen, missed your question ... Ivy is a 2005 hatch of Trey and Princess at the Radisson.  He wasn't seen anywhere in 2006 but then returned in 2007 and nested (unsuccessfully - 3 eggs) with Lucy his sister (same year) in the West Winnipeg area.  In 2008, he was back again but with a new female, Jules, but they didn't initiate nesting just hung out in the same territory all summer.  This year Ivy and Jules are back again and they have 3 eggs as of last Monday.  Estimated hatch date is the end of May.  We are going to try to improve their site a bit in the next week as their current site doesn't make incubation easy for them.  But more on that after its done  ;D

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #218 on: May 09, 2009, 16:56 »
Photos are great Dennis.  Wow, can you ever see the difference in size between the two of them.  Gorgeous birds.