Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2010 / ? & Radisson  (Read 74654 times)

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
Re: U of Alberta - 2010 / ? & Radisson
« Reply #468 on: July 16, 2010, 09:47 »
I know you are very busy with fledge watch but was interested as to how everything is going ;D  Weather is a bit better your way now I hope ::)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #467 on: July 14, 2010, 22:42 »
all home again

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #466 on: July 14, 2010, 20:30 »
I made an error ,it is red band out on black netting.  :-[

He is doing fine. He has not fledged and did make it inside box at one point, before first rain.
he is now out again and it is raining.

the girls are sure interested in what he is doing.
Peter and Bob and Carol are there right now and I am gong to retire for evening. I will there at first light. Peter will stay until dark.

the adults are doing their darnedest to get him to fly. 

Bob took a few short videos which he will give Peter to post.I left my camera at home.  ::) ::) ::)

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #465 on: July 14, 2010, 12:15 »
Seems that just two days ago there was all this fluff and now they are dark feathers.  Amazing how quickly maturity takes place.  Good luck chicks in your first flights and also the fledge watchers! ;D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #464 on: July 14, 2010, 11:57 »
On my way out the door. I f you not see blue band ,he has not fledged. He is out on black mesh beside box.

And  I am gone

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #463 on: July 14, 2010, 08:09 »
now a few of red band out there

Will the girls let him back in??

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #462 on: July 14, 2010, 08:04 »
I have 2 peole watching this morning to give me a wee break. Red just went out on front wrung.
I do not think he is ready till tomorrow but he will do what he does.A couple of shots from this morning

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #461 on: July 14, 2010, 08:01 »
Adults were hunting right around us yesterday. With the stormy weather yesterday, the pigeons did not know what hit them, in the few breaks we had.

Peter had Radisson stoop a pigeon Right overhead and then watched her defeather. Sorry ,no ground pcitures today. too stormy.

Radisson beak fed the kids twice yeaterday.  NIce to see. Dad also brought n 2 feeds for self feeding. I think the idea was to make sure kids stayed inside.

A few times my heart stopped , when kids were wing flapping as it was so windy. It has been a long time since I have seen so much rain.

Both adults spent most of day on clinical science, Radison below ledge of nest box and male above nest box,on roof of clinical. they sometimes had to change to a different spot ,depending on the wind and rain.

One of adults was on moon of Suite hotel, waiting for pigeons ,twice that I saw. I have posted that picture of the moon on hotel before.

Short slideshow from when I was home yesterday.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #460 on: July 13, 2010, 05:45 »
WE have high winds and lots of rain today. But Peter and I will be there . Peter this morning and me this afternoon. We do have a place to watch where it is drier.
Our concern is a kid getting blown off while flapping. I am hoping for no fledging till at least Thursday.

WE are getting reacquainted with things , which is good before fledging.

Seeing as Manitoba's males fledged at day 41 and day42. Our guy will probably do the same

Weather should be better tomorrow.

Summer, what summer?????

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #459 on: July 13, 2010, 00:14 »
Great slide show........going to be busy in the next few days.  Sure hope the weather smartens up for you to make it a bit easier for the juvies as well as the watchers!!  The weather sure has been something all over the country this year!  HOpefully beautful warm weather, no wind to  speak of so the "babies" can get their flying under control ::) Will keep eyes open  for more info from Edmonton.  g'nite now.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #458 on: July 12, 2010, 12:22 »
Thanks for the slide show, bev  :)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #457 on: July 12, 2010, 11:37 »
Thanks, Bev.  Nice shirt, Peter.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #456 on: July 12, 2010, 10:58 »
Report from July11

We were there just after 5am

Male had food on jut of Clinical science. He flew it over to Radisson on Heart. she circled with it a few times and then quickly dropped it in box and then out,

the both  adults sat on the clinical science. Radisson above the kids and the male to the right on top.

I was glad to see male fly over to College plaza ,early afternoon and then Radisson joined him

Lots of nice aerial displays by adults
Some were in front  of  nest ,I believe teaching maneuvers

Peter went to Horton's and while he was gone , I rescued a young robin. It flew into walkway . When I ran over it was lying there but beak open, so I picked it up and carried it  to our chair and it sat and recovered. Peter sprinkled it with a bit of water.
When we approached, to put it on a tree branch it flew off and then I noticed it way across street on sidewalk. So I went and stood by it, so no one would magnificently step on it, and then it eventually flew off. Adult did come and feed it. and i am hoping it is the only rescue we do

THe kids were on the perch, I believe red band and yellow band. It was very windy so we kept telling them to go back in. The females are getting lots of nice flight feathers.
I am hoping red band starts developing more. I am a bit concerned because Radisson is making them self feed and on cam I do not see Red band doing too much and when food is brought in, he does not eat for very long it seems. No one else is concerned ,but I think it is because I have watched  for so many years and so many nests that I think he needs to eat more to develop more.

In the afternoon we saw RAdisson go in around 2 and we are not sure if it ws a small food drop or not. the light was bad,

At about 7:30pm, F brought a nice size piece of prey to box . She appeared to feed for about 4-5 minutes and then went out on perch (/We watched her way over on diabetes building preparing and eating food for about 45minutes prior to this)

At one point in late afternoon we saw a red pelican flying about.

I do not think anyone was disappointed that there was not a fledge. It was very windy and kids would have had trouble ,if they had been ready. We were treated to lots of flying by adults.

there was lots of flapping in nest box. the wings are huge.

thanks  to all who turned up yesterday.

I have someone going first thing this morning so I can get a few things done and then I am down there.

Slideshow

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #455 on: July 11, 2010, 20:33 »
Or maybe she was having trouble trying to find room to bring in more?

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #454 on: July 11, 2010, 17:55 »
Certainly, taking out used carcasses would go a fair way to keeping a nest clean.  Way to go Hurricane!