Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2010 / ? & Radisson  (Read 75514 times)

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
Re: U of Alberta - 2010 / ? & Radisson
« Reply #498 on: July 18, 2010, 15:13 »
Thank you Mr. Bev.  So happy that Mr. Red is okay and was just biding his time and finally flew off in style. Thanks so much to all who have posted and kept us up to date.  It is like waiting for someone to have a baby and  you are on the outside looking in!!! ::)  Time just gets sooooo long!  The girls look very healthy and will fledge just as strongly I am sure. ;D  Keep your strength up all of you.  It does get tiring at times I am sure. So far so good ;)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #497 on: July 18, 2010, 14:39 »
Great news Mr Bev!  So happy to hear he had a good first flight!  :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #496 on: July 18, 2010, 14:37 »
Hi

Mr. Bev here.  Just a short note to let you know that Mr. Red Band has fledged.  Just got a short call from the sight and he had a strong flight and is not on the south roof of the Clinical Sciences Building.  Apparently, it was a strong flight with no problems.  I guess the parents knew something that we didn't while the kept feeding him so much.  It was, I believe, day 43 for him.

His two sisters should follow soon if the flapping that has been going on is any indication.  We will keep you posted and Bev will probably give you all the details tonight when she gets home.  I am heading to the sight now to join Bev and will send her home around supper time.

Offline peaches123

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #495 on: July 18, 2010, 12:49 »

Offline peaches123

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #494 on: July 18, 2010, 12:36 »
A couple of pics of the female chicks til bev gets hers posted...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #493 on: July 18, 2010, 12:23 »
I jsut phoned Lisa, She kindly went in this morning so Peter and I could sleep in.  they are all still there.

I will try and post some picutres but if not they will be later.

any of you who have been watching know that Redband was not develping as quickly as he should . He is looking good and so if he f ledges after girls ,so be it. It may be what he needs to get going.

but I am watching for all the signs of him not being well, and there does appear to be anything wrong. Just a little slower.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #492 on: July 18, 2010, 12:05 »
I will write a report later tonight

Redband disappears and when we go and find him is on an aerial on side of clinical science. he can get up there an down and flaps like crazy.

He is flapping a lot but the parents are feeding him and so they must not think he is strong enough. He is doing a lot of cat walking and goes of the ledge by hopping to the 3 pillars adjacent to roof.  If the silver pillar were not there he would hop all the way to next roof instead of fly ;D ;D

the girls are flapping a lot and red band looks so small in comparison
Peter and were there from 5am to 10pm last night just in case.

We are heading down there shortly and I will come back earlier and Peter will stay and then I will write full report.

If you keep giving them cheese they do not leave home ;) ;)

It is to rain all week. not good

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #491 on: July 18, 2010, 06:43 »
5:35 am Edmonton time and two girls on top of the box this morning!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #490 on: July 17, 2010, 18:13 »
Thanks for all the great reports, hope everything goes well. :)

Offline peaches123

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #489 on: July 17, 2010, 17:04 »
Update  - i was there til 3 PM MDT and red band hadn't fledged - things were quiet. He was resting up i guess - not much flapping except by females.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #488 on: July 17, 2010, 17:02 »
Now young miss is out wingersizing on the rails, and the band I see is so dark I'm assuming blue.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #487 on: July 17, 2010, 16:47 »

Thank you Bob, and Elaine, for your reports.
One is lying in the nestbox, with head resting on the edge.  Leftover prey on the roof, so.......  
Can hardly wait to hear the next update!

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #486 on: July 17, 2010, 16:45 »
One is lying in the nestbox, with head resting on the edge.  Leftover prey on the roof, so....... 
Can hardly wait to hear the news!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #485 on: July 17, 2010, 15:05 »
Sounds like there will be some excitement in Alberta today!!!!   ;D

Great update Elaine!  Now we wait for Bev & Peter's update! 

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #484 on: July 17, 2010, 14:59 »
We had a number of people on the ground this morning in expectation that Redband would take off, but as of the time I left the site, about 12:15 MDT, he had not.  It seems he would prefer to walk all over the place, instead of fly.  Sometimes he scared us as he came so close to falling while doing his walking/running investigation of various areas of the roof.    And, despite the encouragement from his stepdad, who was giving him lots of food along various areas of the roof, he refused to go for it. 

The girls were curious about their brother's walking tours of the roof, but decided they preferred sunbathing; it is not really warm here today, and there is alot of wind, but at least there is no rain (for now), and the kids seem to be enjoying the sun on their backs.  Redband was stretched out like a cat when he was not taking his running/walking constitutional along the edge of the roof.

Mother hardly moved from her perch above them all morning, and she did not feed the females at all while I was there, so I think she is trying to tell them that if they want food, they are going to have to come to her, not her go to them.  I am sure they are mulling this over, as they are pretty hungry.

When the females stretch their wings, they look superb; we were thinking that it is possible that they could fledge at the same time, or even before, their brother, which would be rare in the falcon world, but they look so ready to go.

Bev and Peter are still down there, and will be joined by others; Bev expects Redband to go today, and if so, she will be there.  She and Peter will report later.