Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2010 / ? & Radisson  (Read 76241 times)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2010 / ? & Radisson
« Reply #513 on: July 20, 2010, 10:48 »
Take care, Bev.  
We'll hope for a good day with Miss ER entrance making her way back up on her own, like our Loki in Winnipeg.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #512 on: July 20, 2010, 10:40 »
Peter took morning off work as I ended up sick. but I am getting ready now to go down

Blue fledged this morning, good flight and is on back of Hospital(across from Tim Hortons) . Good for Peter ;D ;D ;D

Because of Blue flying where  she did ,they found Yellow . Yellow is too low and above emergency entrance to hospital. Someone will have eyes on her all day, If she comes down, we will rescue her. Gord said to wait and see if she can right herself.
Red, of course , is on helicopter pad ::) ::)Should not have put red tape on him. Remember red from last year.
Blue has flown 3 times but back to same spot. Parents are trying to lure them back to nest area.

Dave was down there and graciously consented to stay till I got there so we have all birds covered.

We wait now and see. We have to watch for food drops now.

And Peter has box ready ,in case. Yellow may be too afraid as that entrance is so busy. 

all secured know where all 3 birds are and are keeping eyes open also.

I am out now.

lorac

« Reply #511 on: July 20, 2010, 09:35 »
Hi all! My apologies for not reporting in when we got home last night. 

Last evening was fairly uneventful ... except for the fact that we couldn't locate Yellowband, who had fledged yesterday afternoon.  Blueband spent most of the evening on the mesh, flapping madly.  She's getting in some great flapping practice.  Redband made brief appearances, between the MAHI (Heart Bldg) and CSB, but he is flying very confidently. 

As the evening wore on, Peter was getting lots of exercise, running behind CSB to count falcons, checking on sightings on other buildings.  Still no sign of Yellowband.  Then suddenly, when Redband and Blueband were definitely accounted for on CSB, and Peter had seen adults on nearby buildings, there was a very brief flight by someone from the roof of the MAHI to the roof of the CSB.  We can only assume it was Yellowband!

Bob and I packed up to come home at 9:15 and then, of course, it got really interesting.  Both the adults came flying in to the CSB from different directions, but were very, very vocal -- and not in a good way.  They perched on the very top of the CSB, but were definitely not relaxed.  Mom, in particular, was quite concerned about something.  She would take short, noisy flights around the top/front of the building and then land back on her perch.  We couldn't see anything that should be causing concern, but we did wonder if something (read: someone) was happening on the roof. 

It was getting dark and cold, so we had to leave.  I'm looking forward to hearing what, if anything, happened after we left and where everyone is today.

Here's hoping for a warm, DRY day for Bev & the gang!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #510 on: July 19, 2010, 21:00 »
Great job Becky. DAves pictures turned out great.
He  is driving me nuts now. He flew over to college Plaza ,He jsut goes when he pleases
I will write a short report shortly.

and yellow fledged at around 2 this afternoon. More on that in a bit.

Becky M

« Reply #509 on: July 19, 2010, 20:49 »
Hello Hello

I wanted to post these pictures of Red Bands second flight...we missed his first by about 20 minutes, but he didnt make us wait long for #2 or #3...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #508 on: July 19, 2010, 09:22 »
Hi Everyone:

Mr. Bev here. Bev went down this morning at about 5:00 AM and saw two at the nest box. At first she couldn't find the third one (Mr. Red Band). She went around the area and finally spotted him behind the Clinical Sciences Building perched on top of one of the buildings. She was in an area that was surrounded by buildings. He had to figure out a way to get out. Just before 8:00 AM this morning he figured it out, flew out to the west and around and landed back on the Clinical Sciences Building. He looks great and is flying great. The other two are still flapping and look strong. It is raining here right now, so they may stay put, but you never know with falcons.

We'll keep you posted and when Bev gets a chance she will post pictures, etc.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #507 on: July 19, 2010, 05:09 »
Great report Bev, sounds like you have an ace on your hands!  Hope he continues to amaze you all and stays high  :D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #506 on: July 19, 2010, 00:44 »
Thanks for the fledging reports, bev and Mr. Bev. So glad to hear that all is going well at your site. :D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #505 on: July 18, 2010, 23:37 »
Great news, Bev.  So nice to see the sibs together for the night.
Sleep well little ones.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #504 on: July 18, 2010, 23:16 »
A few late night cam shots with all 3 in box

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #503 on: July 18, 2010, 23:08 »
Great report Bev! 
And yes, isn't is truly amazing how the parents know when they are and are NOT ready to take flight! 
Falcons amaze me every single day!  I love learning about them; I just can't enough!   ;D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #502 on: July 18, 2010, 23:04 »
I want to first thank Elaine and Bob and carol for posting when they get home.

I am usually so tired.

Peter will download our camera tonihgt and I will post some of those pictures tomorrow nihgt.
Becky and DAve have some of Red in flight also and We are trying to get Bobs downloaded and posted. It may be slow but I am sure it will be worth it.

I did not see REd bands first flight. Just missed it but saw two and three.

He  flew like a pro. Right out from clinical science , over parkade. I thought he was going clear to the CAmpus tower.but he turned and  he flew right over the heart builidng and back to Clinical science.

My heart was thumping.  I have never seen a juvenile do such a long and strong flight since I have been watching here, for the second flight.

He has spent the rest of the day with his sisters.  they will not be far behind.

One thing I have learned. the adults know best. they knew he needed more time.

Way to go. Hope the weather will cooperate. forecast is not great, but we will see.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #501 on: July 18, 2010, 16:42 »
Thanks Peter, great news. ;D

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #500 on: July 18, 2010, 16:40 »
Great news!  Thanks so much Mr. Bev (Peter)!

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #499 on: July 18, 2010, 15:31 »
Very exciting news, Peter, thanks. 
It is a relief to have success, late doesn't really matter so much.
Take care.