Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

ON / Mississauga - Executive Centre - 2008-20

<< < (29/36) > >>

bev.:
In the issue about harvesting peregrines, with Marks help , I drafted a letter and sent it world wide to  all the cams I knew of and watched and then had my friends of those cams send it to other cams and we gave them an address to write. Of course all we got was a political walk around the park.. but I sure tried .

I got a lot of response from these people and  a lot of letters were sent to
the powers to be in th eUSA

Loriann:
LOts of merlins around, so maybe .... definite 'helicopter moves',, so maybe ....

The Peregrine Chick:
If there was a bit of distance between you and the bird it could have been a merlin or an American Kestrel, they both do the dive thing and are falcons .... we get kestrels hunting along the verges of our highways all the time.  They are the only falcon species that can actually hover, the larger ones are actually too large to technically hover though it can look the same if the winds are strong enough to let them hold themselves in place in a "hover".  Great to watch both ways!!

Loriann:
could be.. i was driving on the highway at the time.. lol

the field is off the highway.. runs along side.. but a distance away.. didn't look like a hawk though... but again.. hard to say when driving.

all i saw was a dive..into some long grass.  and right where i see the pergrines sitting on the light poles..

The Peregrine Chick:
Hey Loriann, have to ask this ... are you sure it was one of the peregrines or could it have been a cooper's hawk?  Peregrines here (southern Canada) don't eat anything that is ground level as a rule, particularly near roadways as it is way too dangerous.  Cooper's Hawks however are mammal as well as bird killers and they do hunt on verges occasionally.  Another raptor is the  Northern Harrier (Marsh Hawk) and they are the right size and closer in colouration to the peregrines than the Cooper's.

Had to ask as it is unusual behaviour ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version