Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

ON / Mississauga - Executive Centre - 2008-20

<< < (28/36) > >>

carly:
Well looks like someone can't count because there are 3 chicks that hatched here - or mama had one hidden somewhere ;D ;D

Congratulations MEC management and staff!!

I had the opportunity to to make a quick stop at the MEC nest site today after my presentations in Milton, and as I had suspected,, we have confirmation of a hatch - TIMES THREE!!  The adult male was currently keeping his new family members warm when the adult female arrived shortly after I arrived about 2:30 pm.. The pair did a shift change with the adult female arriving with food to feed her new family.  The hatchlings (approx. 24 to 36 hours old at the oldest) only ate a thimble size portion of food that took the adult female all of 4 minutes to complete feeding all three hatchlings.  Unable to hold their heads up for longer than a few seconds, they were each fed after some coaxing by the adult female.  While the photos that I have added with this post aren’t the best as they were taken with with my point and shoot digital camera of the small TV monitor that displays the live camera image.  Sadly, no leg bands of the either of the adults was observed during this visit.  But its only a matter of time before we get an ID on the happy pair.  Stay tuned……Enjoy!

carly:
Mark has an update, a terratorial battle and only 2 eggs being incubated now - wow I had no idea!

Mark Nash Reports:
This afternoon I finally got a “peek” at the clutch of  eggs when the adult  male stood up to adjust himself and exposed two dark reddish brown coloured eggs.  Finally my long wait paid off  after utilizing the small monitor that is hooked up to the colour nest box camera.  There are only two eggs  currently being incubated with no sign of the other two eggs in the nest box.   No hatchlings as yet.  I can only speculate that the territorial battles that occurred several weeks ago with the two adult females battling it out for the nest box caused the destruction of the other two eggs that were laid.   While the adult female was no where to be found at this time, I could hear her vocalizing on several occasions throughout the several hours that I was on site.  Stay tuned, - More to come as a hatch is expected in the next week!

carly:
I've asked Frank in my Monday morning report email if he knows the status of them.  If I hear anything back I will let you all know.  I think all the new pairs, the territorial fights, new pairs displacing old time residents has really thrown everyone for a loop this year...no doubt everything will get straightened out and we'll be back to some sort of normal soon. 

Loriann:
I saw this on the web page a week or so ago, but no update since tha wicked, wicked wind storm that area had last weekend.. when we were up there the wind was blowing at hurricane speed, over 106 km per hour past the ledge where the birds are.  We saw kids blown off their bikes, a woman into a fence, and more than one piece of furniture blow past us. 

I hope they are okay, because that wind was brutal.  Square one's parking lot looked like a desert war zone that night with all kinds of wind borne debris, sand, and garbage.  There were projeciles coming off the construction site that were dangerously zooming thru the air.  We were driving on Burnhampthorpe right at the hight of the winds, and i could hardly hold my truck straight in the lanes.

fingers crossed for them.. and all who were out that night.

carly:
2009 NESTING SEASON

From Mark Nash:

!!! Full time incubation is well under way!
April 23, 2009 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
Mark Nash Reports:
Apologizes for the lack of recent updates, but it has been a very difficult spring, (and an early one for the birds for sure). Recent observations of the MEC birds this week would suggest that the pair are in full time incubation with an undisclosed amount of eggs in the nest box. Due to the colder temps and all of the rain and windy conditions, the female has been in hard incubation and not giving us any opportunities to see how many eggs she’s actually incubating. The changing of the guards are happening very quickly and both adults are sticking very tight to the nest bowl. We will continue to monitor as best we can in the hope that the temps will rise, (and that the rain finally stops) so we may get a peak at the secrets that they are hiding. Stay tuned, more to come….

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version