Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

ON / Mississauga - Executive Centre - 2008-20

<< < (30/36) > >>

Loriann:
I was up at the Mississauga Executive centre late yesterday afternoon looking around to see if I could spot anyone.. no luck, but on the way home, saw one of the adults doing a fine imatation of a helecoptor, hovering, then did a super fast dive down into a strip of grass along the 403... I was kind of driving at the time,  ;)  so could not see if he/she was successful in the hunt for dinner, but it was good to see one of them. That's the first time in a week or so.

No sign of the kids though.

The Peregrine Chick:
Somewhere in my files, I will see if I can't dig up Canada's response to the US policy of allowing peregrines to be captured from the wild.  Not sure of the date, but it will certainly outline some of our concerns ...

eagle63_1999:
I was just wondering though who would think up such a stupid asinine thing anyway? Has humankind already done enough damage to our fine feathered friends? Oh wait yeah it has, and they just wanna be more stupid and drive the birds of Prey to the brink of extinction again *sigh*

winnipeg_gal:
so the chances of somebody reporting it to see if they can "legally" keep the bird is somewhere between nil and none?  :'(

The Peregrine Chick:

--- Quote from: carly on June 24, 2008, 09:38 ---What Mark Nash told us a few weeks ago when he was here for the Etobicoke banding is that the US has agreed that if they capture a 'Banded Canadian Bird' it will be freed, if it has no band then all bets are off.  He said basically it will be a matter of trust because really they can easily remove the bands if no one is around and no one would know the difference.

It seems the second they take something off the endangered list they immediately start hunting it to extinction all over again  :( 
--- End quote ---

Just to add a twist ... the only way to find out if its a Canadian bird is to check the band numbers and the only way to do that is to report it to a banding agency who then back tracks through their records and notifies the bander (ie: me).  Some US birds have different coloured bands (Midwest birds are black/green) but most are the same colour as ours.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version