Author Topic: AB / Edmonton - Weber Centre - 2009-18  (Read 81409 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Edmonton - Weber Building - 2009 / Beau & Ms Edmonton
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2009, 13:21 »
Thanks TPC.
I am jsut waiting for the information on bands of Miss E but I  may have to take some closeups myself.
Because male is not banded  no information on him.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2009, 12:42 »
Just so there is no more confusion, going to pull Bev's Weber bird posts and start a new couple of boards ...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2009, 12:17 »
Just so theer is not confusion.  Raddison and Damon are at the clinical science building.  Miss Edmonton(TGgirl) and unbanded male are at the Weber building.  these sites are about 10 minutes apart by car but not in each others territory.  the intruder came to the Weber site and I am hoping he got the message. We will check out later today.  My concern was that these 2 sites are so close and in the same flight path that the intruder might try for the clinical site.

I am just being cautious.  My fingers are crossed and anything else that I can cross ;D ;D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2009, 12:11 »
Thanks for the tips TPC.

WE are looking through all our shots,closeups. We were going mostly by the head markings and the chest.  We are quite sure we have the same male but will check again tonihgt. We did not see any bands on our closeups and the resident male is unbanded(of course so could the other)We trying to go on habits also.
that should show tonight as last night I am sure he was rattled.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2009, 12:04 »
Thanks for the update, bev.  You had quite a night! 

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2009, 11:56 »
Oh, Bev!  It must be hard for you to keep watching and reporting.  
There will be phanatics eyes on our Radisson and Damon today watching for any changes.
Take good care.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2009, 11:52 »
If you want to try to tell the two male (?) apart, don't focus on overall colour unless there is a marked difference - one very pale, one very dark.  The light will change the colouration when they fly.  If you can, find a feather related to their breast colours (some with speckles high, some not) - but don't rely on the rufous-coloured wash, that changes over the course of the breeding season.  The other place to look is at the malar stripe - look for differences on both sides - some will be smaller/larger, clean-edged, ragged or irregular - that will help more and seems to change less.  And look for bands - not the numbers but what colour and what leg - coloured bands don't always end up on the left leg or right leg (trust me) so if they are different that is a quick and easy way to spot them and decipher from photos even if the photo isn't perfect.

Just a couple of ideas if you aren't already using the techniques ...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2009, 11:40 »
8:00 - I check on them and they are both on letters on the Weber building

8:20 - We come out and I hear cacking and the intruder is back.( We thought for sure he had been driven off  before as he was given a few good whacks by our male and he wobbled a bit and flew off ,)  Lots more of the same . But \Eddie remained on her letter. Our male kept coming onto a letter and cacking. He would then take off after the Intruder.  and Intruder gone again  .  Our male takes off south (to make sure)

8:40 - Intruder is back and soars around the building. Our male is not back yet.  Miss Edmonton does not move or make a sound.  The our male comes tearing in.   More of the same but this time our male implants himself on antennae of Weber and the Intruder goes across street to an aerial.  Intruder and our male are up and out to the north and then our male comes back.  I saw the Intruder finally clear the area and fly south at about 8:55

8:56-9:30 - Our male is back up on antennae and then he flies off in front of building and then both fly around building.   Miss Edmonton flies onto C of building and the male goes onto roof where we think their stash is.   male  flies off and around and cacks to female and then he perches on C  and she goes onto roof where food stash is.  After a bit she flies out and in  front of male and cacks and then flies to her letter on other side of buidling

so my night was a nightmare. My thoughts are muddled but I am sure Miss Edmonton was glad it was not her being attacked this time and frankly, so was I. will she ever get a break though. My God. I am worried and we will go down later today. I do not want this male dethroned. We are sure it is still him. We saw no bands on him and he looks the same (a few ruffled feahers) i believe the other one was lighter in color  but so hard to tell. the only way we could tell them apart was because ours was smaller and faster.( the sun was in our eyes and we could not figure out how to video yet eith this new camera.)

so the big picture is if the intruder came here he may try the clinical science also so be watchful that you see the 2 and the male is the same.  

I will be checking it out also if I can. I will try and post some pictures later. i am frazzled to say the least

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2009, 11:38 »
9:39 - I am  writing this quickly I am keeping close watch on both sites starting today.  Peter and I spent 6 hours at the Weber site last night . Very tiring but we could not leave.  I will make a long story very short.Well as short as I can ;) ;)

Everything appeared fine from 4:30 -6:10  We see them both on Weber building when we get there. then Miss Edmonton flies off and goes onto roof of Weber building. We believe they have food stash there. Male flies off and comes back with a bit of food in his mouth.  Miss Edmonton flies off and back on a letter. Male flies up and almost touches her.(we thought they were going to copulate)  then male flies off NE and Miss Edmonton flies over  to the ledge of what is her nest building and lies  in scrape and then is up. she stays there about 9 minutes.  a lot of flying around and up on Weber roof and then we find them on a machine building roof a little north.Female is standing over prey but not eating . Male is on back of roof of Weber building and comes down to machine building after female vocalizes and she take s off but we do  not know where   male flies off to south east around 5:50

Now I have  7 pages of notes so I am just trying to summarize

6:10 - Two falcons soaring the building .One lands on E of Weber and then off and then both are soaring. Then my heart stops.  There  are 3 falcons.S--- Lot s of noise and flying :o :o :o :o  Lots of flying and swooping and vocalizing by all 3. I cannot tell yet if male or female intruder . (I am a mess).Yes adn I try to clap the intuder away when he flies over us ::) ::))

6:25 - Miss Edmonton lands on E of   Centre and the other 2  keep going at it. We can tell them apart becasue our male is much smaller. that is why we thought 2 females at first.  But I think I am right in assuming that the 2 females would fight and the 2 males fight. But at first all 3 were .  so I am thinking juvenile that it is bigger but who knows. Our male is crafty and keeps flying back inside one of the letters, but the other falcon soars around the building and keeps coming right in front of both.  Lots of talons out and upside down and I am (you got it right ) crying .(lots of ******* also) but I have to watch as I want to be sure if one is downed we are there to phone the Wildlife rescue. Eventually one flies off to north an we know it is our male that returns to letter.

7:05-7:30 - Miss Edmonton flies around building and the 2 switch places on letters. Then Miss Edmonton and the male  fly  around the building  and then Eddie  flies off and goes to her nest site building .She lies in scrape and then up .  she stays there for about 8-9 minutes  They both fly around and then one flies N and one flies SE and we saw it stooping pigeons  So we decide to go for supper to a restaurant right  there  I have to use two posts as it says I am long winded  ;D ;D

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2009, 22:55 »
Eddie works, for short.  Just like we call Cassandra, 'Cassie'.   ;D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2009, 22:13 »
Very nice name and definite improvement over "homeless."

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2009, 20:50 »
Miss Edmonton....PERFECT!!!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2009, 20:29 »
Miss Edmonton is a fine name Bev and much more personal than TG or 'homeless'!  ;) 

Oooh, like Eddie  :D

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2009, 19:44 »
Good name for the falcon!

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird