Author Topic: AB / Edmonton - Weber Centre - 2009-18  (Read 81518 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Edmonton - Weber Building - 2010 / Weber & Ms Edmonton
« Reply #228 on: September 02, 2010, 18:53 »
Yes, Tracy is also one in a million :-*. Her love for peregrines shows with all her above and beyond things she does at each site and on her forum.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #227 on: September 02, 2010, 14:40 »
...This is one thing that is so cool for me. Peter and I spent a lot of time with Gord this year and he is just so passionate about the peregrines and after all these years of working  with them , his passion for them just shines  through. It is so infectious and we have learned so much.
At some sites the biologists have gotten  complacent , but not here.
Heaven help us, when Gord is no longer in this position. We are very lucky.

Yes, you certainly are very lucky, bev! We here in Winnipeg feel the same way about Tracy. ;D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #226 on: September 02, 2010, 10:23 »
Our young fellow has been flying 3 weeks today. He is doing great but we still get heart attacks when he is taking food fro mom. they are so low during the exchanges.  Mr. WEber is flying up a storm and loves to chase after dad.  Last night when we we went first time we saw our young man fly off WEber roof and land beside box and then he went off soaring. No sign of adults. Then a storm came up so we went to University.

We went back to Weber just  before dark and saw no one,. Now time to investigate. Not knowing where the haunts are   yet, we found young Mr. Weber and dad on another building, facing south. They were on  the letters. the building is the nest highest in area(where Gord originally wanted to put nest box). He told me dad may roost here to get away from junior.  That sure worked .

We went on lower roof of Weber to check out things just before we left and all of a sudden I saw 2 falcons out of the corner of my eye.(it was quite dark) one had food in talons. and I heard  a bit of cacking(I had not gotten out of car yet so cacking was faint.)  I am assuming young Mr. had food in talons as it was last and the other was ahead. We quickly went around back and saw mom on the W of WEber and we are assuming kid was on a roof eating or on Weber roof. Too dark to see. (Being the worrier, I am, I was hoping the kid got to eating spot O.K., with it being dark and all)  We quickly drove over to other building and dad was still there. Good lookout point from there. (they have had quite a few intruders passing through). So we will keep watching here very closely for signs of the young Mr. being independent with hunting. We have seen him trying to stoop.

I am still waiting to hear about the Red Deer youngster. I know Gord is very busy, so I do not bug him. I know Gord so wanted this to work out on Weber for the Red Deer male. He wanted him to be with a family , but I think the smoke got the best of him that day he was found. This is one thing that is so cool for me. Peter and I spent a lot of time with Gord this year and he is just so passionate about the peregrines and after all these years of working  with them , his passion for them just shines  through. It is so infectious and we have learned so much.  At some sites the biologists have gotten  complacent , but not here.  Heaven help us, when Gord is no longer in this position. We are very lucky.

I have tons of picutres and will share them, when we get my program up to speed again. but I guess I will only post the best of the thousands I have :-)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #225 on: August 25, 2010, 21:24 »
I certainly do agree with sami, on all accounts, bev. :)

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #224 on: August 25, 2010, 21:15 »
Please don't blame yourself for not being there, Bev - as you said, you can't possible be there 24/7. It's just amazing how much time you put into making sure the falcons are okay, and everyone appreciates all your work and updates.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #223 on: August 25, 2010, 19:15 »
Hope the little Red Deer male isn't injured badly Bev.  Great idea to place him with a falconer so he can learn his survival skills before he has to migrate..poor little guy, he's had a tough summer. :-\

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #222 on: August 25, 2010, 16:34 »
I am going to be posting photos in the next few days. sorry so slate but a lot happening here.

the weber male is doing well but comes low to ground when carrying prey. I think becasue mom has him chase after the whole gull and he is yo9ung still, and it is heavy. So we are keeping an eye on that.

Last Thursday, Red deer male came to the ground. I did not post as I was waiting to hear prognosis. I was not there at time. I cannot be there 24 hours. However someone did find him and rehab phoned Gord. On Monday Gord was waiting for the X-ray results. Gord was hoping that if everything was O.K. he would place him with a falconer for flight training and hunting skills. Externally he looked O.K. but they were x-raying his shoulder to be sure.
I was just sick as everything was going well. I felt bad I was not there . At least we would know what happened. It was very smokey here on Thursday and Friday becasue of fires in B.C. When I was there you could hardly see across the street, so I am thinking ,it threw him off, as he was flying well. Poor guy. We are pray8ing that he can go with a falconer. I will let you know as soon as I know.

Pictures coming.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #221 on: August 18, 2010, 09:09 »
I will have updates and photos in next few days. We have been doing a lot of monitoring here and things have settled down a bit and both kids seem to be doing well.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #220 on: August 13, 2010, 21:37 »
I can't wait either....all around good news!  Thanks for the updates Bev!   ;D

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #219 on: August 11, 2010, 22:20 »
Will be waiting for your updates on this situation.......good wishes all around ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #218 on: August 11, 2010, 19:53 »
Yes, great news, bev. Hope the fostering works out! :D

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #217 on: August 11, 2010, 17:54 »
Great to hear, Bev! Hoping for the very best.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #216 on: August 11, 2010, 16:56 »
yes, miss Edmonton is used to fosters. Every year she was the university, they gave her extra chicks.

This was the only site they could put the young male. Gord would rather put them at a site ,where they are taught by adult peregrines, than have them released later .  Even though he is older, developmentally he is about the same as the male at Weber.  He was fattened up and hydrated in Red Deer and then Gord kept him with him for assessment. He is not injured,  I am hoping for a success story ,like 3 years ago when we had Hope brought to Clinical ,from Red Deer. It was at same stage of development.  :-* :-*

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #215 on: August 11, 2010, 15:55 »
That's great news BEv!  I was wondering which nest they would put him at!  I know Miss E has experience with fosters from when she was at the other Edmonton with Damon right? Or I"m remembering wrong what you said!  Good move on Gords part!  

Good luck to both fledglings and keep us posted!

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #214 on: August 11, 2010, 14:26 »
This is great! 
Radisson had Cassie and a foster her first year, and now Miss Edmonton gets her first chick and a foster. 
Good luck!