Author Topic: AB / Edmonton - Weber Centre - 2009-18  (Read 81695 times)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Edmonton - Weber Building - 2012 / Weber & Ms Edmonton
« Reply #333 on: March 29, 2012, 17:08 »
Thanks bev, hope the cam is ready when the falcons return.  :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Edmonton - Weber Building - 2012 / Weber & Ms Edmonton
« Reply #332 on: March 29, 2012, 15:53 »
Gord is out of town but money was raised for the cam here last year, by my friends at the Wine store. They had a fund raiser and they love these falcons. So I hope they hop to it when he gets back

Of course I partook of the wine as Peter was out of town. But he made sure he got his share when he got back  ;D ;D

No one home yet. She is usually a bit later unless someone else takes over.
After the season so far every where else, I am a bit leery.  ::) ::) But will stay optimistic

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Edmonton - Weber Building - 2012 / Weber & Ms Edmonton
« Reply #331 on: March 20, 2012, 18:01 »
2012 NESTING SEASON

And we appear to be three for three at this point - no cam running and no updates on the website about the Weber pair I'm afraid.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Edmonton - Weber Building - 2011 / Weber & Miss Edmonton
« Reply #330 on: October 07, 2011, 16:21 »
WEll our our guys migrated successfully from the site as far as we know.

When Peter and I got back on Saturday evening we saw only falocn on west side of WEber. Tuesday, Wed and Thursday evening we still only saw Miss Edmonton. A few others reported seeing 2 falcons so Peter and I will go down shortly and go between U of a and Weber.

It could have been one passing through.

But Gord got word that mid Sept, a rapor bander trapped our young yellow band from Weber, in Iowa city , Iowa. He was a bit underweight so they kept him for a few days and fattened him up and then released him. this excites me to know they are making it out of Canada.
When the young one year old hit Columbus after breeding season this year he looked mighty thin also and now he looks great, so I think this guy will be O.K. He did very well at WEber  site and was chasing pigeons after a week .  We watched him make his first soaring flight with MIss Edmonotn and his flying after that was superb. the last time I saw him was Sept 6 , so this makes good sense.

Just before we left on holidays Sept 16, we had 2 kids in sight and 2 adults.

I really will try and do a closing report here with photos after Thanksgiving. I was a bit overwhelmed this year.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #329 on: September 09, 2011, 13:00 »
As of Sunday Sept4, all were accounted for...

That's great news, bev! :D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #328 on: September 08, 2011, 21:06 »
As of Sunday Sept4, all were accounted for. we even saw on nearly catch a pigeon.

will go down again tomorrow and the weekend.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #327 on: August 09, 2011, 19:34 »
I'm so glad to hear that all is going well at this nestsite, bev. :D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 19:38 by Kinderchick »

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #326 on: August 09, 2011, 17:42 »
Great news and great shots Bev! :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #325 on: August 09, 2011, 16:28 »
Sunday August 7

We were down for a few hours in the afternoon and were treated to flying displays by 2 kids and 2 adults. What a treat. It was very windy so landings were sloppy. We only got yellow and blue bands but... who knows . they just flew around and off the WEber building while we were there and of course a lot of tagging..   these guys are quiet compared to others we have watched. We did not ever see 3 at once that day.
I will post some  of these later

Monday August 8

We went down right after Peters work and I was determined to see 3 kids. Our friends at Bin 104 said they were treated to flying but only saw 2 kids. Now our youngest would be 44 days old and our youngest male at Uni did not fly till day 44 so... WE were treated to flying but again only saw 2 kids at a time but that does not mean 3 were not flying. one could go back to roof and one fly off.  One of the ones that flew moved to southwest corner of building so I went to investigate there., as we cannot see back of building from where we were or north side of buidling. Peter drove over to east side , where we usaully start from. ( silly us forgot our cell phones   ::) ::)

I just kept walking around back of building and around north side while keeping one kid in view. I spotted one lying down on north eastcorner by nest box. I figured one I had jsut seen fly . then one from west corner started catwalking over to northwest corner and then the other one moved there also. I moved back and  took a closer look and saw 3 heads . Yes, there are 3in view. My heart was full.  the one in the middle is RB and you can see it is darker that the other 2 I walked quickly to where Peter was and we drove back. we got picutres of all 3. Peter asked if my one kid had flown and when I said no, he said, as he was driving, 2 were flying by east part of roof.  he could not stop to take picutres Yes, 3 are flying.

So I am happy.  I am psoting the picutres of all 3

with Peter out of town tomorrow, I should be able to work on most  picutres from both sites., if I get my chores done

« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 17:09 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #324 on: August 09, 2011, 16:25 »
Saturday august 6

Well did we get lucky today. When we first got there we only saw Miss Edmonton.the we saw a head and then the body of a kid on roof facing west. WE went up to parkdade and hit the jackpot. Miss Edmonton flew off and the youngster followed. she was giving him gliding lessons.  Not real high up but she flew and he followed. Similar to the show we got at the University a few days after YB flew. and  yes, Peter had the camera so we have pictures. And coincidentally, this was a YB also. Just awesome to watch. Peter loves this part and so do I.

WE jsut kept going around looking for more kids.  as we were looking at south side of Weber I saw a youngster land on west face. so we rushed around and there he was , sitting like a old pro on top of roof just above the B of Building. We are not sure if we can read the band. Will see, as pictures are downloading. So now we have DAd sitting  on an antennae on south roof, this one on west roof , perched like an adult, and Miss Edmonton  on an aerial on north roof , one kid on nest box roof. so I go walking, and yes, I am so excited. I see the 3rd kid peeking out on roof just a ways from nest box on nor ht roof. I have 5 falcons in view . this made my day  :-* :-*

3 kids. Now we know 2 are flying and whether this one is or not, we will have to wait. but 3 kids.   The youngest kid is 41 days old today.

this slideshow is from Saturday august 6

MIss Edmonotn shows YB how to glide and fly. they went just off west roof and out southwest a bit and back.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #323 on: August 09, 2011, 16:21 »
here are some updates with a few photos and slideshows 

August 5

After a long wait ,we finally saw 2 of the kids f ledge for the first time.  It was day 44 for the 2 oldest.I never get tired of the thrill of watching them. Of course your heart pounds also.  ::) ::)   Miss Edmonton flew off the Weber and flew all around showing one of them what to do. She did this several times and then he  flapped his wings and became vocal. And  I knew he was going to fly. He did exactly as he was shown. It is  just so amazing to see the adults follow them.

Miss Edmonton was off like a flash and followed him all the way and was right behind him when he flew to top of roof. then he was off again and did it a few more times. Bravo . Of course, Peter said , "did you get the shot to see the band." Whoops!!! I was just too busy watching. But we did get some shots before he flew . their flying started out at back of building so we then went around to  southeast face .

Just then another youngster flew off the opposite direction (east to west and around and onto roof)than the first one but did the exact same thing. With dad flying behind him. He also went one more time. Missed that shot also :sunno:  :sunno:

We only ever did see 2 kids at once. Are they the same two or different???

It was getting late so we headed off to university, all 3 dogs in tow.  they  do enjoy the walks.

Peter is downloading all the picutres from here so you may have them sooner than all the others I have,.

when we got there if you remember ,it took us awhile to find any kids. then we had one on north corner. Miss Edmonton flew around and around above building and  swooped down, showing juvenile how to do it. We went around side and  saw him flapping and when he started talking , we knew it was going to happen.

Miss Edmonton was there all the way. I did not get him flying but got him coming in. he flew off north face and  went arounf the back(west). he flew out a bit south west and then back and up on roof of west face.  You can go back and read report. We saw 2 flying that night and we believe they were both first flights , just from what we have seen in the past 6 years.

I put a picutre of building with 2 direction on it.

When we get there we are usually facing east part of building. I call that the front and west , I call the back. south face has a road adjacent to it. Parkade is below east face. we go there but are very careful. If kids are present there , we stay off.  

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #322 on: August 05, 2011, 12:03 »
...Hoping for good things here. Those that know me know how special MIss Edmonton is to me. so I hope her chicks all make it.

I know how special Miss Edmonton is to you, bev, and talons crossed for successful fledgings of her chicks. :-*

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #321 on: August 04, 2011, 21:59 »
Hoping for successful fledging, Bev!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #320 on: August 04, 2011, 13:06 »
peter were out at weber on Monday Aug1. We believe th chicks were on the roof as Miss Edmonotn was on an aerial looking down.

We think we saw one peering out but not sure. We will be going down tonight, and have a lto of things in place if one should come to the ground. I cannot be there much but we will do what we can. thye all have our numbers.

the oldest is 43 days old today and the youngest is 40 days old. sounds old but they are behind in development becasue of our severe weather in July.
Hoping for good things here.
Those that know me know how special MIss Edmonton is to me. so I hope her chicks all make it.

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #319 on: July 22, 2011, 20:26 »
Bev I just want to thank you for all your posts and photos of the Edmonton birds.  I don't know how you do it but it is greatly appreciated.