Author Topic: ON / Burlington - Lift Bridge - 2009-13  (Read 12655 times)

Offline gran2496

• Phanatic
  • Hatchling
ON / Burlington - Lift Bridge - 2013 / Mackenzie & Cirrus
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2013, 17:55 »
2013 NESTING SEASON

The chicks from the Burlington Bridge were banded today.  One of them was named Hadfield after our Astronaut Chris Hadfield.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/3241738-peregrine-youngsters-at-lift-bridge-to-be-tracked/

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: ON / Burlington - Lift Bridge - 2012 / Mackenzie & Cirrus
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2012, 23:20 »
Susha, I was wondering too if they might come back early this year.  We can hope!

Mackenzie & Cirrus like it seems most eastern Canadian and US birds aren't migrating much if at all these days.  These two have been spotted near the nestsite in every month since they hooked up after the breeding season.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2012, 18:21 »
Susha, I was wondering too if they might come back early this year.  We can hope!

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2012, 21:37 »
With all the warm weather we've been having, and a mostly non-existent winter, maybe everyone will get started early this year... ;)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
ON / Burlington - Lift Bridge - 2012 / Mackenzie & Cirrus
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2012, 18:10 »
2012 NESTING SEASON

Mackenzie took over from Sir Adam Beck last year and he and Cirrus have been around the nestsite all winter.  They are in nest-making mode at the moment but don't believe they will be settling down to actually nest for another month ... will be interesting to see.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Another update from Loriann

We Have Two Very Big Girls
May 31, 2011 - Burlington - Lift Bridge

Today was banding day. Anne Yagi, Biologist with the Ministry of Natural Resources performed the banding . The statistics are as follows:
Lady Lamont - Weighing in at a whopping 1063 grams - Black band 41/X and she will be wearing a red band on her right leg
Lady Nelson - A little smaller at 988 grams - Black band 42/X and she will be wearing a yellow band on her right leg
There were 2 unhatched eggs in the box, which were retrieved for testing.
Now the fun begins. Given their size and estimated age of 26/27 days, the official Fledge Watch will begin in approximately 10 days (June 10th)
Photos will follow.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ON / Burlington - Lift Bridge - 2010 / Sir Adam Beck & Cirrus
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2010, 20:07 »
... Sooo, how happily surprised was I, when I met a friend of my sister last night (at Shakespeare in High Park- ;D) who has had a couple of encounters of some phanatics at the Burlington site.  She greatly enjoyed meeting these folks (didn't have any names, but there was a photographer and his wife -  :o wasn't Dennis - just had to ask) and she had pics of the nest site to share.  We only had a few minutes to chat before and after the show, but it was great to find someone who is beginning to feel the spark of phanaticism! :)

It is very exciting, isn't it, susha?! :D So happy to hear that you are still able to remain connected to peregrine falcons and the Forum while away on holidays! 8)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2010, 11:25 »
Daughter and I are visiting family and friends in Toronto.  I decided before coming here that it was unlikely we'd have the time to try to find some falcon connections on this trip.  Everybody's fledged anyway and getting around this expansive city is a challenge.  (Brought binocs just in case, but very inexperienced still, so thought that Peregrine viewing would not be on the agenda).  Sooo, how happily surprised was I, when I met a friend of my sister last night (at Shakespeare in High Park- ;D) who has had a couple of encounters of some phanatics at the Burlington site.  She greatly enjoyed meeting these folks (didn't have any names, but there was a photographer and his wife -  :o wasn't Dennis - just had to ask) and she had pics of the nest site to share.  We only had a few minutes to chat before and after the show, but it was great to find someone who is beginning to feel the spark of phanaticism! :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Two Beautiful Days at the Lift Bridge
May 24, 2010 - Burlington - Lift Bridge
Sue McCreadie Reports:

Bill and I spent a few good hours at the Lift Bridge yesterday (May 23rd) and today (May 24th).  Yesterday, around 2:00 pm, we witnessed Mom pluck a pigeon out of the sky.  She took it to a concrete ledge under a light standard on the bay side of the Skyway Bridge to prepare it for the little ones.  Today, she went to the same area and picked up an already prepared meal and returned to feed the little ones.

We had a third Adult Peregrine in the area today.  All of a sudden we heard a lot of vocalizing and knew that something was about.  Both birds took off after the intruder.  Mom returned a short time later but Dad was missing for quite a while, but eventually returned after making certain the intruder did not return.

With scopes and camera, we have been trying to see band numbers and today, after much deliberation, we are almost certain that the adults have not changed from last year.  We have Dad, Sir Adam Beck born in 2006 at the King Street nest in Toronto and Mom, Cirrus born in 2006 in Dayton Ohio.

Here’s hoping for a successful season.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
At least one chick at Burlington, maybe two:

!!! Hatch Confirmed!!
May 08, 2010 - Burlington - Lift Bridge

CPF Postmaster Reports:

Based on the good news that we have received, we can confirm without any doubt that there has been a hatch of the first hatchling on or about May 8th.
Congratulations Burlington!

May 14, 2010 - Burlington - Lift Bridge

Sue McCreadie Reports:
Paul Reynolds reports:

Just thought I should let you know that my fishing buddy Andrew, saw Mom standing on the nest ledge with two little white heads sticking up.   So, it looks as if we are on the way with the little ones.  Let’s hope for a successful year.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2010, 12:54 »
How cool that these young PF's are already setting up house. I hope they have many breeding years ahead. I love hearing where these youngsters end up. Thank you for sharing this.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2010, 12:22 »
Always nice to hear fledglings  have made it to adult hood and are breeding :-* :-*

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2010, 10:47 »
2008 Nebesny has been spotted in Mich. USA with a mate!
April 22, 2010 - Burlington - Lift Bridge

CPF Postmaster Reports:
We have received some great news this morning from Barb at the Department of Natural Resources Wildlife Division down in MIch. USA that a new female has arrived on site and setting up a territory with a 2009 male (produced in Cleveland Ohio) just north of Detroit Mich.  We have been able to identify and confirm her identity by her Black Canadian Colour marker bands and can confirm that she is non-other then “Nebesny”, a female produced in 2008 at the Burlington Bridge nest site. Banded Black 29 over Black X on July 12th 2008, weighing 907 grams – (empty crop), at approx. 29 days old.

Her mate has been identified by his band number as being hatched in 2009, named “Zeus” , dawning a Black 73 over Red B band produced in Cleveland Ohio USA.  We are all delighted to hear this good news and hope that Nebesny and Zeus are successful in their efforts.

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
ON / Burlington - Lift Bridge - 2010 / Sir Adam Beck & Cirrus
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2010, 14:00 »
2010 NESTING SEASON

The link below will take you to some video that Carol from Rochester took of Cirrus trying to retrieve her Pigeon from the lake.  Great shot Carol.  

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2010/01/sightings/cirrus-puts-on-a-show/

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 14:15 by Loriann »