Author Topic: AB / Warburg - Genesee Plant - 2009-18  (Read 86109 times)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Genesse - Capital Power - 2009 / ? & ?
« Reply #125 on: July 04, 2009, 18:18 »
Eat, sleep and poop! 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #124 on: July 04, 2009, 18:16 »
Afternoon check on the 'other' Alberta kids and they're getting so dark now, even since this morning. They sure do sleep alot  :P

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #123 on: July 04, 2009, 07:07 »
I just checked in on these 3 to see how they are doing.  They are absolutely gorgeous!!  The cam view is so detailed here  :-*

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #122 on: July 03, 2009, 08:27 »
I should know soon the sexes of the 3 at Genesse. Gord was not sure as Geoff did the banding and had not reported as of yet. they are so busy banding and doing other things

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #121 on: June 24, 2009, 22:16 »
Oops I meant June4. My head is not screwed on right .

Thanks for the answer TPC.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2009, 19:26 »
I was waiting for an announcement. this is early is it not. they  were only born May 4
I will see what I can find out without being a pest.

June 4th perhaps? And if that's the date, then no, the chicks are banded right on time - day 21 seems to be the best though up to day 25 seems to be pretty safe.  We banded our chicks one week ago, it is easy to imagine that trying to band them now might result in a premature fledging, so the window is quite small for safety sake.  Some sites might allow for later bandings as it might be easier to safely secure the chicks pre-/post-banding so that they don't get spooked and do something drastic.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #119 on: June 24, 2009, 14:21 »
I was waiting for an announcement. this is early is it not. they  were only born May 4
I will see what I can find out without being a pest.

lobi

« Reply #118 on: June 24, 2009, 13:17 »
I see this little family have all gotten their id anklets (if falcons even have ankles)!  Any one hear what they are?  (Male-Female)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2009, 13:06 »
Thank you, Bev.  Nice to see another site in such good detail.

Also fascinating to see that big sky prairie view.  Brings back happy childhood memories of visiting my Mom's family homestead SE of Edmonton.

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2009, 12:39 »
Hi Bev, thanks for shots of the site. It's interesting to see what it actually looks like. Great job!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2009, 10:57 »
Happy news that Peter is enjoying "the peregrine watch".
I think he is officially assimilated!!!!  ::)
Great shots Bev!!!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2009, 00:14 »
So I know the pictures were small but they were very high up and we could not get any closer to the site.
I hope that gives you a better idea of site
the weather was nice and it was a nice 50  minute drive from my house. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Peter even enjoyed it and he is getting quite the eye for spotting things now

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2009, 00:11 »
Now Mom has not been spending a lot of time in the box but she did today. We waited and waited. then I thought I saw a falcon soaring way out to the right of the sight but could not see where it went. WE heard them talking to each other so the other has to be close by . so where do they perch.
I would imagine the stack across would be good and thee are buildings right across .
so we decided to call it a day.

Well as we were driving back the way we came I saw the falcon. Poor Peter.
Had to pull off into the ditch.  :grin:  :grin:

there he was , perched high on a power pole. He could see the whole site from thee. the nest box would be out of view becasue it was on the opposite side of the stack from where he was perched but he could certainly see the ravens and whatever else he might need to see.

The wind ruffling his feathers

And so we drove further north(I think) to take some picutres of where he was in relation to the nest site. this time we could pull into a road access.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2009, 00:09 »
now for the nest box.  These are not grat but i tried. We can see them real big on our screen but we do not yet know how to transfer this you can see it. some know how and I guess I will jsut have to take some classes. I f I had the camera I had last year , you would see nothing   There is a light right above it. As we were walking back up from below I saw a falcon fly into the nest box.  We missed the shot. I figure it was feeding time.
We did manage to catch a glimpse of miniature chicks and I believe mom.

I will have to get Epcor clearance if I want to get any further in, and maybe if I have time my hubby can arrange it, but you know I am good with this.  I feel so good knowing how secure they really are and how they are looked out for.  this is what I wish for all our falcons. Picutres we took can even come close to how beautiful and wide open the area is, and they can soar free.

The cam is the white thing[/b]

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #111 on: June 21, 2009, 00:08 »
Peter and  I  took a 50 minute drive in the country today to have a look at this site.  Very secure and  no one of importance was around and I need an Epcor contact to get in. my husband can get me this but I am good without it.  so we did the best we could from a distance. I wills do this in several posts so keep reading until there is no more ;D ;D

Well I will only get this report done tonight. the pictures took awhile as we took so many.  Now keep in mind that even with my new camera , we were very far away.

but I was so happy with the site. Nice and peaceful ,even with the work that is being done. very secure. I spent  30 minutes talking to the security guard at the gate. They did not know that a fourth egg had hatched so I will send pictures showing the 4 together to them.
And we could hear the falcons chupping to each other.

First I would like to give you a layout of the place from the back

Two big stacks with the nest box on one. Good places to perch.  a pond to the left of the site and lots of trees and bushes.  there were some ravens so I imagine they would have to watch out for them .  there are several lakes not too far away.  As a matter of fact I would love to live out there. I could be a keeper of the birds