Author Topic: ON / Port Colborne - 2009-10  (Read 8875 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: ON / Port Colborne - 2009 / Freedom & Treasure
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 14:52 »
I disagree Bev, the peregrines are not coming to all the same spots.  West Winnipeg is new, we have never had any birds express a nesting interest in the area until Ivy returned.  He wanted to be here so we are accommodating him.  The Grand Forks birds chose the Smiley Tower and the project installed a nestbox.  In Saskatoon, the pair chose a nestledge much like the Radisson, new site, no nestbox or any other structure.  The apartment block in Toronto is a ledge, not a nestbox construct.  Can't remember where at the moment but a pair last year (at least) and this year chose to nest in the vegetation in an office building balcony planter - again not a nestbox.  And those are just urban/suburban examples.  We have new wild/cliff nestsites every year and we have unbanded birds turning up on territories in Canada and the US - they had to come from wild, unmonitored nests. 

We provide nestboxes that some birds use, some don't.  Sometimes we install them to encourage birds to nest, sometimes in response to unsuccessful nest attempts at the same location.  Sometimes its just a flyer, never seen a peregrine near there but the site looks great so why not?  Are they preferred to wild cliff faces, can't say, nor can any other peregrine biologists.  Some birds like them and use them.  Does being hatched from one help to influence the decision?  Some could say yes, some could say no - Trey was hatched on the ledge, but Princess was hatched from a box on a smokestack.  That ledge does not look like the smokestack she fledged from.  Does knowing where the boxes are, i.e., because you were hatched there help? Perhaps - perhaps it gives birds a target to aim for - then when they are repelled from the territory, they find new territories.  Some birds follow others - all the Radisson females are from the US - Nebraska & Minnesota - they are a little north and west of their natal areas, they had to follow someone. 

So who and why and where and when are known only to the peregrines, projects like ours just try to sweeten the pot ...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 11:08 »
Thanks CArly for all the updates.

Unfortunately the peregrines are all coming to the same spots. that is sad.  We need them to survive.

I am not a biologist but as I said before maybe some new sites need to be created in some other good locations along the way.  Like TG girl they are a bird of habit, but who knows .

that is unusual about the eggs disappearing thought, . they must be stressed out like we saw the ravens get stressed out.( I would have waited until the mating urge was over and then released him)

and congratulations on another one. Number 4 will not be far behind

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 05:02 »
The Port Colbourne site was home to Pittsburgh Pete for several years and last year he was injured in a territorial dispute.  He would have died but his mate basically saved him after he took a blow to the chest, she actually dove in and attacked the intruding male herself and drove him off.  PP did recover but she had to do most of the hunting for their young after his injury because his flying was impaired.  After the young fledged he seemed to be doing ok but then a few weeks later was found injured and taken into rehab.  His mate was spotted with another male a few weeks later.

I didn't know they had released PP - last I heard, he was still in rehab with a serious injury.  When Doug asked on his blog if this intruding male was PP was when I realized what happened.  So if they released him in the area, no doubt he is trying to come home.  The question is, was the dead female they found his old mate and a new female took her place or did his mate kill another intruder.   

I dont' think this is going to end well, with 2 eggs lost already and fighting on-going.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 05:04 by carly »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 20:30 »
Oh no!!!!

We need more room for our falcons so they are no more disputes!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
ON / Port Colborne - 2009-10
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 20:25 »
2009 NESTING SEASON

Oh no more bad news from Port Colbourne, Territorial dispute again in progress and 2 lost eggs out of 4...

Doug Garbutt Reports:
On April 25th a falcon was spotted chasing another falcon forcing it to within 6′ of the water. I think there are 3 falcons here & a dispute is in progress. When I returned to work on Monday 27th , the clutch of 4 eggs was reduced to 2! To add to that, after about 3 weeks of hard incubation (we barely had a chance to view any eggs during this time), the birds were off the eggs most of the day even although it was a warm 70 degrees. Today was the same thing, the birds were hardly on the eggs all day but the temp. was a cool 55 degrees. It was also obvious that the birds seemed a bit on edge. I’m not sure what this means for the chance of these eggs being viable but we’re still hoping