Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 178022 times)

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #784 on: August 05, 2008, 18:31 »
I can honestly say that at this point I am disgusted with the state of the box.  It must reek in there of rotting flesh!  And imagine the flies and maggots, etc -- how the heck can she sleep in there??  It's revolting.   :P 

As carly said, on the plus side, she sure is learning how to feed herself.  I have never seen this to this extent on other cams.  Once she learns to catch prey, she's all set to feed herself! 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #783 on: August 05, 2008, 16:44 »
Thanks Bev for the great shots!  We were so busy looking at her scream that we missed the food in the feet. Seriously I thought for a second she was going to jump mom/dad..lol.  Poor parents don't have it easy either, they are just doing what's best for her but she doesn't understand that yet  :)

On the plus side, she's going to be a fierce peregrine, very good for survival  ;D

Look how tall and proud she looks standing on the perch now.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #782 on: August 05, 2008, 16:38 »
I have to go and get some work done now but these are 2 pictures I thought told it all.

the first one is the last of the feed
the second one is her on the perch and content (feather and all)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #781 on: August 05, 2008, 16:31 »
Yup, mom brought her some food . It is hard sometimes to see the whole thing with the refresh but mom brought food at 14:45 Edmonton time.

At 14:05 Edmonton time the E was eating something in back corner (just not sulking but eating) could have been leftovers. I sure hope she is getting enough because she is sure doing all the right things.

she even defeathered this time. what a riot.
around 14:05

Then a hissy fit as she sees mom is near

mom on outside perch(you can see prey in talon)could be dad. he does not stick around as he is smaller

look at her go at it(featheres are flying)

more feathers

talk about a feather  bed ;D ;D

she has brought her dinner to the front

more of her eating

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #780 on: August 05, 2008, 16:25 »
Lol..yes was just noticing that.  Mom's probably saying to dad now 'hey she's your daughter'... ;D ;D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #779 on: August 05, 2008, 16:15 »
She looks happier now, and her beak is definitely closed.  That mom is pretty quick!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #778 on: August 05, 2008, 16:09 »
Yes it looked like it but I wasn't sure, thought maybe she was just rummaging through the mess for leftovers..lol but mom may have given her a small meal otherwise she'd be sreaming more or she popped a vocal cord  :o

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #777 on: August 05, 2008, 16:05 »
Just now I think I see her pulling at something fresh.  She was tucked in the corner first though, for quite awhile then moving about.  No more screaming either.  Don't you think it looks like she is self feeding right now?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #776 on: August 05, 2008, 15:54 »
I wonder if she gave her anything, did you see food bcbird?  It's hard to tell with the refresh - it looks like's she standing on something??  Or could be just a pile of feathers.  That was quite the rage though, she might have exhausted herself..poor little thing.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #775 on: August 05, 2008, 15:45 »
This is really interesting, though.  Finally, Mom arrives long enough for a huge screaming fit from Cassie, then takes off.  Daughter immediately heads inside and sulks in the corner.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #774 on: August 05, 2008, 15:35 »
Ok wow..I saw that hissy fit.  One of the parents must be going by because she moved her head from right to left as if she was screaming at someone.

Holy!!  Mom came in quick and she just raged at her..never saw her open her mouth so wide.  The the refresh came and mom was gone and she's in the box?!  Not sure if she gave her anything or if she's just pouting.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 15:46 by carly »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #773 on: August 05, 2008, 15:32 »
This morning, mom did some prep work on the food..couldn't see because she had her back to me but then she put the piece in the box for her and Cassie self fed. 

I missed the hissy fit because I was on the subway coming home but I"m not surprised.  This is about the time they will feed her less and fly by with food to see if they can entice her off the ledge.  That doesn't mean she will go but they will try. 

With ours here mom and dad would feed them once in the morning but just a small piece and then they'd do fly bys with food to see if they would take the bait.  Then if by 7 pm or so they hadn't, they'd come in with a bigger meal to calm them down and prevent them from fledging in the evening.  I notice they would do that if rain was coming also - they really are very intelligent birds aren't they?  They seem to plan and control ,to the best of their ability, when it's safest for the young ones to try.

This phase is always the hardest I find because they want mom and food and of course mom wants to train her to fly.  That being said, she's feeding quiet well now on her own and I've seen mom feed her a few times still but she will do a few bites and then let her go on her own.  I remember week before last when she first started with the food drop offs and Cassie would throw a fit but look at her now!  Like a child, they stamp their feet but eventually they come around  :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #772 on: August 05, 2008, 14:50 »
I am trying to see if they are still helping her feed. I saw mom give her a bit this morning but... I am not always here so if anyone else notices make a note. 

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #771 on: August 05, 2008, 14:49 »
and now front the hissy fit she just had.  boy, she sees them and wants them to come here.

What wings

hey guys see how good I am

The fan

sideways tight rope ::)

What more do you want

Would it hurt just to pay a visit, I need a little help here

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #770 on: August 05, 2008, 14:43 »
a few more form this morning when mom comes in