Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 114254 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #1444 on: October 04, 2008, 20:02 »
Well, once again, I thought she was gone but at 5:20 she appeared and soared overhead the parkade and then flew around her building and then around the nest box building and then back to perch at the top ledge of her building. I  think she was saying her final good bye to me.  :'( :'(It was nice to watch her soar with no cares in the world.

Peter had the camera, so sorry, but then she flew to a ledge on dads building and was there for about 3 minutes .
And off she flew to her perch for the night. She went even earlier tonight- 5:30. So what does that tell you.
We went and checked on her and I silently said goodbye.  I was surprised she was there today but I will be very surprised if she is there tomorrow.  This is exactly how it was before dad left.

I am sure Peter was saying. Oh S--- she is still here ;D ;D

We went to see if transmitter girl was here and she is still here also.
 The kids left on a weekend , Dad left 7 days later and mom will probably leave 7 days later than dad. Very interesting. 
It was a bit cooler tonihgt but still nice.

We got the camera back from my daughter today so Peter will have the pictures downloaded after we eat and then I will work on them.  There will be some nice shots of her flying with the prey from Wednesday and some form tonight.

Have a lovely evening

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1443 on: October 03, 2008, 22:28 »

[/quote]

It was
No sign of Radisson today on the nest box for me, unless I missed her  :'(

Yeah, me neither. 
So glad you spotted her, Bev.  She seems to be doing a long farewell. 

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1442 on: October 03, 2008, 22:07 »
I am not sure why they were there but I e-mailed the biologists. A maintenance worker told me he thinks the cam is just switched off, and I do not think anyone has made it over there to switch it back on. the story of my life here. ::) ::)

I will post more pictures tomorrow.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1441 on: October 03, 2008, 21:48 »
Yay..I'm glad you got to see her again Bev  :D  I wonder what those people were doing at the box, working on the webcam maybe to fix that one that's been down for awhile do you think? 

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1440 on: October 03, 2008, 21:43 »
I did not see mom at the box tonight  but she spent 2 hours on  an aerial on the very back of the Ed building. :-* :-* The pigeons flew in front of her as if to tease. Silly fools.
She just preened and looked ever so proud and regal. 

She then flew off at 18: 10  and soared over the Ed building a few times. the pigeons scattered  ;D ;D and then  went straight to her perch for the night.  When dad did this he was gone the next evening. At least we did not see him tuck in and then the next day he was gone.  :'(

We did not see transmitter girl but we will check again tomorrow.
I hope the people we saw yesterday on the nest box roof did not spook her. 
what I find amazing is how they can perch for that long.  Well, I guess Peter and perched for that long also ;) ;)  the time really flies .

The air is getting a little cooler after our mini summer the last few days but it should still remain relatively nice throughout the weekend.

Have a good evening :) :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1439 on: October 03, 2008, 20:31 »
No sign of Radisson today on the nest box for me, unless I missed her  :'(

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1438 on: October 03, 2008, 08:16 »
No, Miss Edmonton will just migrate out. If she has an interest in the nest box she will wait until spring. Let us hope she finds a mate on her way back next year. I love her but ... but one never knows for sure. so maybe but not likely it was her.
To our knowledge she has not been back into the area since her release from rehab. but I will ask the biologist check  in charge as he knows all her whereabouts . but if she had entered the area I am sure he would have told us. 

The other falcon looked too small in comparison to Radisson , so we thought a juvenile or another male passing through. There was no altercation at all.
w will be checking on Miss Edmonton tonight.

Now a few pictures from Tuesday

This is where she perched after we did not see her all night

mom

mom flying off for the night

See how well she blends in with surroundings

Mom angling around the front so she can get inn position to fly onto ledge on next building.

Miss Edmonton

Miss Edmonton(hard to get a good picture becasue of how high she is and where she is sitting)

« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 08:18 by bev. »

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1437 on: October 03, 2008, 00:03 »
I think it was just one passing through. that will happen at this time of year.Whew!!!

Any possibility it was Miss Edmonton, Bev?

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1436 on: October 02, 2008, 23:05 »
Good evening everyone. :) :)

Mom is still here . You must have missed her.  When I got there she was on College plaza on the north side(in the shade). I only had my small camera tonight so I do not know what turned out. 
I watched her for a bit and then had to go and pay to park before I got a ticket ::) ::)
I watched her as I was walking but I knew she would move.
Well on my way back I saw her on the back of the clinical science building facing the road. 
By the time I got up top of the parkade, she was in the nest box.  She was way in there. I could barely see her head so that was at about 16:40 or 16:45.
She then came out on the inside perch and preened for a bit.  She did not stay there too long and then turned to face in. ( At about 16:55.)

I just turned to make sure there were no other falcons around and she was on the outside perch looking out.  At about 17:10 or  so she flew off  and soared above the heart building and then around a bit and then she did her favorite thing. Yup!!! She stooped the pigeons at the Newton Place ;D ;D they will be glad when she is gone ;D ;D

I am not sure if she got any, but I lost track of her and did not see her again until about 18:45.
Peter had gone down to see if she was tucked in and she was not there. We both looked out by Newton place and sure enough, there she was. 

Now, something mighty strange happened. There were 2 falcons.  Our sweetheart and a smaller one. But not dad, I am sure.They came very close and she came this way toward us and it veered off to the west.  I think it was just one passing through. that will happen at this time of year.Whew!!!

Mom flew up on the aerial on dads building and sat and looked out over the land.  I think she was sending a message also. Stay out of my territory!!!
 At about 18:55 she dove down and veered off to the south and then flew onto her ledge for the night. Peter went to check and she was there.

There was someone(people someones) on the nestbox ledge at about 18:50. I will mention this to the biologists as I do not want her spooked.
Look how protective I am becoming ;D ;D

You are right . we are having just gorgeous weather right now. this time last week I was wearing my parka and gloves. :P :P
We are to have pretty nice weather right through the weekend. it will be a little cooler than the last couple of days but still nice. 

Have a nice evening and I will try and get some pictures posted.

See what tomorrow will bring.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1435 on: October 02, 2008, 19:22 »
I've been watching too and I thought the same thing, maybe last night was her farewell to her home or...she's just out enjoying the weather!! Either way Bev will let us know.

I've been watching Sheila too and she's not restless like last night, although she's has once in 3.5 hours listened to her eggs but that just might be impatience..lol!

Oh I spoke to soon..she is up and listening and looking at them intently!  I think she is willing them to hatch...

Interesting isn't it how we're saying goodbye to our peregrines here in canada while they are just saying hello, it's a wonderful world we live in  :)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1434 on: October 02, 2008, 18:45 »
Yay, good to see the replay!  Thanks for passing the pictures on.

No sign of Radisson at the moment, and lately this has been a typical time at the nest box.
It looks a gorgeous day in Edmonton.  Maybe this was the perfect weather for her to begin her journey.  Wonder what Bev will see tonight?

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1433 on: October 02, 2008, 16:17 »
I hope she has mercy on us ;D ;D

These are the shots form Skygirlblue and ljames from last night they show some of the action in case you missed. they do not mind me using them as long as I give credit.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1432 on: October 02, 2008, 11:43 »
OOOOH!  Bev, better be prepared with the hard hats for both of you.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #1431 on: October 02, 2008, 11:38 »
I think Raddison probably recognizes Bev and her husband, Peter, by now, and is used to seeing them at her regular haunts.  I would not be at all surprised, if she sees them before she leaves for the south, that she does a  fly-over and buzzes them.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1430 on: October 02, 2008, 11:22 »
... was saving this for breakfast  or is trying to clean a few things out of the box. She will be here till Christmas if she is trying to do that  ;D ;D

Too funny, Bev!

Maybe she is reliving the days when she would bring in prey for Cassie. Now, practically, she takes it out for that breakfast stash.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 11:24 by bcbird »