Author Topic: Canada Geese - Alberta / Edmonton  (Read 28884 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Canada Geese - Alberta / Edmonton (2011)
« Reply #164 on: May 10, 2011, 13:38 »
...Goslings are very cute, so I am looking forward to the big event.
Yes, they are adorable and within a day or two after they hatch, off they go!

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #163 on: May 10, 2011, 12:22 »
Things have been mostly uneventful here at the GooseCam, with Mother Goose spending alot of time on her eggs, and fortunately, not having to put up with the neighbors from heck this year.  I hardly ever see the male, but I expect he is close by, it is just that his services in protecting her and the nest do not seem to be needed at present.  I think the hatch date is supposed to be sometime within the next week.  Goslings are very cute, so I am looking forward to the big event.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #162 on: April 27, 2011, 21:31 »
Well, it seems as if you spoke too soon, Elaine. Apparently there was a fight at the nest yesterday. From the sounds of it, another female tried to take over the nest. And the gander just stood by and watched. ::) Things have settled down again, for now.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #161 on: April 25, 2011, 22:06 »
Everything is going well with the goose couple.  The camera angle has been widened, so now we can see the haystacks and part of the barn.  Apparently Mother Goose does have 6 eggs, but they are very well covered when she is off the nest, so I have not seen them.  The main thing here right now is that, after a bit of a dust-up with another couple last week, there is only one goose family now around this particular nest, so we will not have to deal with the neckpecking and stampeding male geese, as was the case last year.  Of course, things can change very quickly in the bird world, as we have already seen in Minnesota/Elk River.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #160 on: April 21, 2011, 19:57 »
The Kinderchicklets were looking at Mama Goose this morning. Same goose as last year has returned. It sounds as if she has laid 6 eggs, although we didn't actually see them. I also read that she has a name, which I wasn't aware of. Her name is "Patience". Great name, if you ask me! :) She sure demonstrated lots of patience last year, when that intruder kept attacking her at the nest site. >:(
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 19:59 by Kinderchick »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #159 on: April 19, 2011, 16:54 »
Thanks for this link, Elaine. So glad to see it's up and running and to read that Mother Goose is already sitting on eggs. :D I know that my Kinderchicklets will be thrilled. Too bad that you can't check on your favourite webcams, while at work anymore. :(

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #158 on: April 19, 2011, 10:02 »
The Edmonton Journal Goosecam is up and running, and Mother Goose is on the nest.  The goose family can be watched at:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/technology/Watch+Journal+Goosecam+Live/4637330/story.html

I have been told here at work that I am using up too much bandwidth, so I am severely restricted now for watching this cam, or any other, for that matter, so I will have to leave it to others to let me know what is going on (at least during the work day).  What a drag.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #157 on: March 22, 2011, 21:07 »
...I do hope our goose and the other geese are not scared off by all the aggression and hostility from last year; all those foot-stomping, testerone-filled, irate ganders were a sight to see...
Well, actually Elaine, I have to admit that some of the gander aggression was upsetting for my Kinderchicklets to see. When that did occur, I just changed the "channel", or webcam, so to speak, to Phoebe the Hummingbird or some other bird that wasn't attacking or being attacked! ::) :P And of course, the San Diego Zoo polar bears were usually well behaved, although not all of the time! ;) LOL.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 21:10 by Kinderchick »

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #156 on: March 22, 2011, 15:56 »
Hi, Kinderchick,

I do hope our goose and the other geese are not scared off by all the aggression and hostility from last year; all those foot-stomping, testerone-filled, irate ganders were a sight to see.  All that was too traumatic for me, but perhaps in the goose world, this is quite common.  Come to think of it, I guess it is quite common in the human world as well.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #155 on: March 22, 2011, 13:12 »
Thanks for this info, Elaine! :D I know that my 2010 Kinderchicklets really enjoyed this GooseCam last year so I have been looking forward to showing it to this year's Kinderchicklets. Sure do hope Mother Goose comes back soon! :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 21:01 by Kinderchick »

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #154 on: March 22, 2011, 10:58 »
I contacted the Edmonton Journal to find out about the Canada Goose cam, and all plans are a "go" for the arrival of the Canada Geese.  Here is their reply:

We do indeed plan to run the goosecam again this year. If all goes well, it will be better than ever, as we have a new camera that (we hope!) will show her at night as well as during the day.  It all depends, of course, on whether the goose comes back. Last year, we started the goosecam around the middle of April, so that's the timing I would expect again this year. But Mother Nature and mother geese are unpredictable, so we'll just have to see. 
Thanks for your interest, and we'll keep you posted!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #153 on: March 22, 2011, 10:36 »
2011 Edmonton Canada Goose Season

Starts Now

This note added as we have more than one year's worth of observations on this thread.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #152 on: March 10, 2011, 21:00 »
Let's hope for better nesting weather this year. It was heart wrenching to see those eggs sitting out in the snow.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #151 on: March 10, 2011, 20:14 »
Does anyone know when the Edmonton Journal Canada Goose Webcam will be back up for the season? ??? Maybe you might know, Elaine? :-\ Last years Kinderchicklets really enjoyed watching Mother Goose & her eggs, even though only one gosling hatched.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Canada Geese - Alberta / Edmonton (2010)
« Reply #150 on: May 13, 2010, 13:20 »
Wow! Very interesting! :)