Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2009 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 110237 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - Oct to Dec 2009
« Reply #2446 on: October 09, 2009, 19:38 »
Oh my god!!  I was just joking about the ravens but I just saw the photos on BCAW - they are back???  ???

Might be a good time to put some doors on that nest box!!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 19:41 by carly »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2445 on: October 09, 2009, 11:05 »
We did see 2 ravens a week ago but right now just magpies and a few crows. the crows migrate, magpies do not.
Peter and I have offered to clean the nest box. we will see what they say.

I seem to get attached to all the peregrines.  ::) ::) RAdisson has certainly raised 5 wonderful babes. I am counting Hope ,as she and Damon made her successful.

As I said Peter and I will check again today and if no sightings then I am sure they left yesterday sometime.  We check where she went for the night and Miss Edmonton is not hard to locate.

And  yesterday I almost drove off the highway,in the snow, as I spotted a bald eagle just west of Edmonton. 
It is funny when we are driving into the University because both Peter and I have eyes on buildings and skies. the problem is Peter is driving. ;D ;D ;D I do have a sticker on my bumper though that says I LOve Falcons. 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2444 on: October 09, 2009, 08:10 »
Mine don't migrate but I feel the same way you do Bev especially as I've come to love Radisson so much.  I still think of Cassie and have her photos on my computer, I hope someday we hear of her having a mate and family of her own too.  They are all wonderful and I wish them all a safe migration  :-*

I wonder if George and Weezie will try to move on up again once they see Radisson and Damon gone  :o :P

Edit to add:  Ack!  Just watching the weather and see the snowy mess out in Alberta and the cold temperatures....ack -15 with the wind chill in Edmonton  :o!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 08:24 by carly »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2443 on: October 08, 2009, 23:12 »
Oh Bev...we feel the same way!  I wish they didn't have to leave, but it's what they know and what they do.  All we can do is wish them well.  Good luck do our falcons!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2442 on: October 08, 2009, 20:42 »
As of last night Radisson and Miss Edmonton were still here but we had snow this morning  and when Peter and I went down after his work today , there was no sign of either. We stayed until it got dark, which is early now.

I will post that slides show of Radisson flying the other night, tomorrow morning.Then I will post a report of the week I came back and then Peter and I will go through the photos and post some (probably a slide show) of the  best of what has not been posted yet.

I find this so dismal at this time of year. I am sure most of us feel the same when we have falcons that migrate.
I did shed a few tears . Fly safe my sweet girls. And we will await your return next year    :-* :-* 
Peter and I will go down again tomorrow , just to make sure. this is when they both migrated last year.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2441 on: October 08, 2009, 20:23 »
GOOD GENES!!!!  Guess there is somethin' to the genetic pool after all!
Radisson is a wonderful mother....just like her mother.  I would love to see a falcon family tree! 

Working on it ...  ;D
Thanks TPC....you're the greatest, where do you find the time? 
I can't wait to see a family tree...I bet it'll be fascinating!   :D

Offline Helen b

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #2440 on: October 08, 2009, 19:02 »
Where will you ever find time in your schedule for a family tree? ;)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #2439 on: October 08, 2009, 18:58 »
Radisson is a wonderful mother....just like her mother.  I would love to see a falcon family tree! 

Working on it ...  ;D

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2438 on: October 06, 2009, 22:30 »
Radisson moved away from the Radisson/Winnipeg nestsite pretty much as soon as she could - not like this year's Vesper that is for sure.  I should say that she wasn't on her own, it appeared as though Princess was keeping an eye on her because as soon as Radisson disappeared, so did Princess - didn't see either of them until Princess returned the next spring and Radisson turned up in Edmonton last year.  Did however see Trey on an almost daily basis and Bandit reappeared on the Radisson sign under the spycam a number of times after his stint in rehab (he strained muscles in his back/wing and needed some time before going back to the wild - about a month as I recall).

Nice to see Radisson doing so well, reminds me a bit of Princess' mothering this year - once the chicks were out of the tupper-nest, they were pretty much on their own except for mealtimes ....
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 22:32 by allikat »

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2437 on: October 06, 2009, 22:04 »
Thanks, TPC, for adding the family tree perspective on mothering styles of Radisson and Princess.
There are so many reasons to love this forum, and your intimate knowledge of the personalities and family traits of our huge interrelated peregrine famlily is a big one.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2436 on: October 06, 2009, 19:51 »
Oh that is interesting TPC, I didn't know that...I shouldn't be surprised by that though, they are exceptional parents and give their offspring all the training they can to prepare them for life. 

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #2435 on: October 06, 2009, 19:16 »
Radisson moved away from the Radisson/Winnipeg nestsite pretty much as soon as she could - not like this year's Vesper that is for sure.  I should say that she wasn't on her own, it appeared as though Princess was keeping an eye on her because as soon as Radisson disappeared, so did Princess - didn't see either of them until Princess returned the next spring and Radisson turned up in Edmonton last year.  Did however see Trey on an almost daily basis and Bandit reappeared on the Radisson sign under the spycam a number of times after his stint in rehab (he strained muscles in his back/wing and needed some time before going back to the wild - about a month as I recall).

Nice to see Radisson doing so well, reminds me a bit of Princess' mothering this year - once the chicks were out of the tupper-nest, they were pretty much on their own except for mealtimes ....

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2434 on: October 06, 2009, 08:30 »
I will have a report  from last night and a slide show of her flying a little later today.
we are still out there and today we have wind warnings. Not a good day to leave but I am sure they will both be gone by the weekend.

I am just in awe every time I see her and when I see her coming in my heart just skips a few beats.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2433 on: October 06, 2009, 05:14 »
Thank you for the report on Radisson Bev.  I'm glad you got to see her and in turn 'us' before she leaves for her long journey to the sun. 

I remember TPC telling us that Radisson vanished very soon after fledging in Winnepeg.  Whatever happened to her then must have forced her to learn to survive on her own quite quickly without P&T to spoil her so perhaps that is why she is adamant on teaching her offspring to learn to feed themselves so soon.  After all, without food they wouldn't last very long.  No doubt she has the right idea because look how far she's come...literally!

Thank you for sharing the photos with us of her and Miss Edmonton.  You  should all be proud of yourselves out there for contributing to such a successful season, some twists and turns but in the end it worked out well. 

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2432 on: October 05, 2009, 22:37 »
Great report on Radisson Bev...yes, we do have our "special ones".  With Radisson, it's in the genes about her parental instincts and skills.  Look at who her parents are  :D....I indeed have my "special ones" as well.   
But all in all, we love our falcons! 
Thanks for your reports, dedication, devotion and enthusiasm....way to go Bev and Mr. Bev (Peter).