Author Topic: Pandas - Georgia / Atlanta Zoo  (Read 46229 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Pandas - Georgia / Atlanta Zoo (2010)
« Reply #295 on: October 22, 2010, 13:07 »
Oh, this is so exciting, carly!  :D Thanks for the update! Sure do hope that things continue to progress well with Lun Lun's pregnancy!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Pandas - Georgia / Atlanta Zoo (2010)
« Reply #294 on: October 22, 2010, 11:46 »
Giant Panda Lun Lun Confirmed to be Pregnant

Zoo Atlanta’s Veterinary Team has observed a viable fetus during routine ultrasound procedures on female giant panda Lun Lun. Ultrasound images obtained since Monday the 18th confirm a growing fetus with a strong heartbeat. Based on the size of the fetus, which is currently 2.24 centimeters long, the Animal Management and Veterinary Teams estimate that a birth should occur in 10 days to 2 weeks. While cautiously optimistic, experts caution that Lun Lun could still miscarry or reabsorb the fetus as her pregnancy progresses.

Round-the-clock birth watch began on Monday, October 18 and will continue through birth and the first months of the cub’s life. Giant panda gestation averages 135 days, but can range from 83 to 197 days.

A cub would be the third offspring for Lun Lun and Yang Yang, both 13. The Animal Management and Veterinary Teams opted to employ artificial insemination (AI) on June 13, 2010, after the pair failed to mate naturally. Lun Lun’s and Yang Yang’s previous offspring, Mei Lan, 4 and now a resident of Chengdu, China, and Xi Lan, 2, a resident of Zoo Atlanta, were the only cubs born in the U.S. in 2006 and 2008. Both were the products of AI.

Additional updates will be provided as details are available. The Zoo’s giant pandas are watched daily by fans around the world on PandaCam presented by Earthcam. PandaCam, which runs Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., has remained the most visited page on zooatlanta.org since shortly after the arrival of Lun Lun and Yang Yang in 1999.

Panda cam link page:  http://www.zooatlanta.org/1212/panda_cam

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Pandas - Georgia / Atlanta Zoo (2009)
« Reply #293 on: December 11, 2009, 10:12 »
we'll see if it happens.. they'll need to build a habitat for them.. and no money for that..  and now all the 'screamers' will come out.. the zoo needs a new elephant enclosure too... and another elephant or two to complete the ageing existing herd.. they must maintain a certain number of elephants as they are herd animals and its a rule to maintain their acredited status.  the zoo has lost two females in the last year or so, and are now down to three.

if they do come, you can bet i'll be there camera in hand, so i'll keep you all in 'pictures', providing i can muscle Carly and her mom out of the way.. lol

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #292 on: December 11, 2009, 09:38 »
Sounds really promising, Loriann -- my fingers are crossed!

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #291 on: December 11, 2009, 09:30 »
Harper backs Toronto Zoo's bid for pair of giant pandas

The Toronto Zoo's panda program has scored some high-profile support.

The Toronto Sun reported Prime Minister Stephen Harper is backing the zoo's bid for a pair of breeding pandas.

A letter from Harper's chief of staff stated the government would be delighted to assist in bringing giant pandas to Canada.

Toronto Zoo board member City Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti told the newspaper the letter virtually seals the deal to bring a pair of endangered giant pandas from China to Toronto on a 10-year loan.

He said they could arrive as early as two years from now.

****( and maybe a camera or two? ) ****
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 09:32 by Loriann »

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #290 on: December 10, 2009, 20:09 »
Oh my he is all boy alright lol

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #289 on: December 10, 2009, 18:04 »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #288 on: December 08, 2009, 20:11 »
He is just soooo sweet!!!!  I love wildlife.   :-*

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #287 on: December 08, 2009, 16:30 »
Mama won't be able to hide from him much longer  ;D

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #286 on: December 08, 2009, 16:25 »
My gosh, I just saw the little fellow venture outside!  Well, what I should say is that his front end is outside, but his back end is firmly planted inside.  He is giving serious thought to making a go for it, though.   Go for it, little guy!

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #285 on: December 05, 2009, 23:56 »
Dreams are good!  :D

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #284 on: December 05, 2009, 13:30 »
Yes, alli, I know you want one, but I really don't think your poor cat could cope with a rambunctious little fellow like him!
I know...but one can dream  ::)

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #283 on: December 04, 2009, 23:57 »
He is just too cute! And the vet having to chase him around on the floor - especially as he gets even more active! ;D ;D Yes, alli, I know you want one, but I really don't think your poor cat could cope with a rambunctious little fellow like him!

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #282 on: December 04, 2009, 18:26 »
Now that he is starting to move there will be no stopping him checking out the world :)

Offline dodobird

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #281 on: December 04, 2009, 13:53 »
Just saw the video of the 14th exam - oh my that was priceless - what an active little guy. Makes instant smiles!!