Author Topic: Telus Tower Rescue - 24 May 2020  (Read 5051 times)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
Re: Telus Tower Rescue - 24 May 2020
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2020, 08:31 »

I’m sure the crew that had been scheduled to do some maintenance  at a Telus tower had no idea what they were about to come across.
The tower  construction is open at the top and simply a large concrete tube about four ft across where equipment and cables on the inside.
Can’t imagine their surprise to find a Peregrine inside at the base of the tower.
Wildlife Haven Rehab had been contacted and with their help along with the crew they repelled down and picked up a unbanded adult Peregrine.
The bird had no serious injuries just a little dehydrated which was a easy fix for the folks at Wildlife Haven.
May 27 and the bird was given a clean bill of health and ready for release.
The bird was banded and of course would need a name...first thought was Lucky which seemed fitting but that just didn’t work.
The bird will be called Phoenix...how appropriate.
He was one lucky bird to get a second chance to fly again...it’s nice when the stars align and everything falls into place.

Cheers !
Dennis

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 18:29 »
Awww  :-\ - Was Tilly Princess's Grandaughter then? - And Ivy?

No, Tilley was daughter of Faith and Ty, Ty was son of Trey and Princess.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2020, 16:10 »
Awww  :-\ - Was Tilly Princess's Grandaughter then? - And Ivy?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 19:47 »
Chick mortality is the same for urban-nesting peregrines as it is for non-urban nesting peregrines as you have heard me say before. The difference is how they die - and this is one that that could happen anywhere. The upside of urban nests is that we have more opportunities to rescue birds that get into trouble. Another upside in this particular case is that discovering the flaw with this tower design means that we are now working with Telus to install a cover to prevent it from happening again. And since cell towers are in urban and non-urban areas, Tilley's death won't be in vain!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 18:49 »
Thank you for information on the tower rescue, TPC. Hopefully the rescued (and soon to be banded) peregrine will continue to get better and enjoy life, perhaps in Manitoba.

I'm deeply saddened about Tilley and the other falcon who perished while trapped in the tower.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 14:30 »
The live peregrine rescued from the Tower isn't banded but will be before s/he is released. 

There were remains of two other peregrines - both with bands.

One was Tilley a 2017 daughter of Ty and Faith from West Winnipeg.  Looks like she died in 2017 because the coloured tape we put on at banding was still there and usually that comes off before/during migration.

The other bird is not from Manitoba but is also a female.  I've put in a request to find out where she's from - will post when I hear back.

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 13:18 »
Excerpt from the CBC article.... 'Rescuers told Nakata they found the remains of at least two other peregrine falcons inside the tower, so they assume this has happened before, minus the rescue.'  :-[

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 11:50 »
Regarding the "remains" of the two other birds nowhere did I understand that they were peregrine remains.  Has it been confirmed that they were peregrines or some other bird species?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 15:52 »
HOw tragic for the two that were lost.  They need to put something in there to prevent birds from being trapped in there - like some mesh netting or something?

They are doing just that, the company said they were going to cap it so no more birds get trapped.  :)

Oh that's wonderful, thank you for letting us know!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 15:42 »

Thanks RCF, I don't see bands. Did they bring up the remains of the other 2? Banded???

I wouldn't know but they may have notified TPC.  ??? :-\

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 15:38 »
HOw tragic for the two that were lost.  They need to put something in there to prevent birds from being trapped in there - like some mesh netting or something?

They are doing just that, the company said they were going to cap it so no more birds get trapped.  :) 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 15:43 by RCF »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 14:13 »
Hopefully the rescued falcon is banded and will be identified. Did they bring up the remains of the other two? Banded? Could be the end of the mystery surrounding our decreased returnees.

From looking at the photos on Fb the falcon doesn't have bands.  :) 

https://www.facebook.com/Wildlifehaven.ca/posts/3843408922397684
Thanks RCF, I don't see bands. Did they bring up the remains of the other 2? Banded???

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 13:59 »

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 13:43 »
Hopefully the rescued falcon is banded and will be identified. Did they bring up the remains of the other two? Banded? Could be the end of the mystery surrounding our decreased returnees.

From looking at the photos on Fb the falcon doesn't have bands.  :) 

https://www.facebook.com/Wildlifehaven.ca/posts/3843408922397684
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 13:52 by RCF »