Author Topic: CA / San Francisco - Downtown Nest - 2009-22  (Read 7080 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: CA / San Francisco - PG&E - 2018 / Dapper Dan & ?
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2018, 22:46 »
Hatching has now begun.

This morning: a good sized pip is visible in the second pic.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
CA / San Francisco - PG&E - 2018 / Dapper Dan & ?
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2018, 22:42 »
2018 NESTING SEASON

This year, the San Francisco pair were the very first on this continent, or in Europe, to start their season.

The first egg was laid on February 14, the earliest ever for this nest.

https://www.pge.com/en_US/residential/in-your-community/local-environment/peregrine-falcons/peregrine-falcons.page?WT.mc_id=Vanity_falconcam

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: CA / San Jose - 2016 / Fernando el Cohete & Clara
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2016, 16:42 »
Two little fluffballs now!

Then Mom was back in a flurry of feet and feathers to cover the chicks again.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: CA / San Jose - 2016 / Fernando el Cohete & Clara
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2016, 19:56 »
The first North American chick of the year.

The first pic shows the first glimpse of the tiny chick, just to the right of the egg. Clara had already consumed most of the eggshell.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
CA / San Jose - 2016 / Fernando el Cohete & Clara
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2016, 19:49 »
2016 NESTING SEASON

The resident peregrines at this nest are the same as before. The resident female is Clara, and her mate is Fernando el Cohete. They have been incubating four eggs; the first egg was laid way back on February 23. Now, hatching has begun.

This morning:

http://sanjose.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?publish_id=91
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 19:57 by Alison »

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: CA / San Francisco - PG&E - 2013 / Dapper Dan & ?
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2013, 22:32 »
...I'd rather hope the eggs didn't get "cooked" properly, than have organic contaminants discovered to be the cause of nonviability

Yes, thanks for this very interesting update, Mayshowers. I wonder whatever happened to Diamond Lil? ??? And I agree with bcbird. Sure do not hope that they find organic contaminants to be the cause of the nonviability of the eggs.

The eggs could have been non viable right from get go and the reason Cher's eggs didn't hatch.

Posted by a BCAW member. :)

It was my understanding that brooding eggs shuts down the breeding testosterone in the tiercel ... could be why Cher's eggs didn't hatch...even if he did mate with her ...

http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?p=247262#p247262

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2013, 20:35 »
Hmmm... If all of the eggs had been viable, the female may have been able to incubate them but as you are thinking, MayShowers, probably not the male. And somehow, I doubt that even the female would have beee able to keep all 6 chicks covered. That would have been an enormous brood, not to mention feeding all of them. :o
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 20:36 by Kinderchick »

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2013, 20:25 »
You're welcome.

I also wondered about successfully covering six eggs?  Perhaps a female, but the male? ??? ???

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2013, 14:30 »
...I'd rather hope the eggs didn't get "cooked" properly, than have organic contaminants discovered to be the cause of nonviability
Yes, thanks for this very interesting update, Mayshowers. I wonder whatever happened to Diamond Lil? ??? And I agree with bcbird. Sure do not hope that they find organic contaminants to be the cause of the nonviability of the eggs.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2013, 13:11 »
Thanks, Mayshowers, for posting this update.

Is it possible for even the female to adequately cover and successfully incubate six eggs?  

I'd rather hope the eggs didn't get "cooked" properly, than have organic contaminants discovered to be the cause of nonviability

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2013, 13:01 »
Update from Nest Diary:  

March 14: About one week ago, Diamond Lil disappeared. We do not know her current status, just that she has not returned to the nest ledge. A new female, dubbed "Cher," has been visiting the nest ledge but does not seem  inclined to share in incubation duties. Dan has been doing all the incubation but he must also hunt for food to eat. The eggs have been uncovered during these absences and incubation has been uneven. The eggs need about 12 days more incubation. Will the eggs hatch? Will Dan continue to make a heroic effort at incubation? Will the new pair recycle and lay a new set of eggs? We will soon know.

April 1: The new female, known as "Cher" added an egg of her own to the 3-egg clutch on March 29. The new egg was added to the three-egg clutch laid more than a month ago by the prior resident female, "Lil." Dan and Cher are incubating the 4-egg clutch.

April 4: Cher laid a 3rd egg today bringing the total in the nest to 6 (3 are hers and 3 were laid by Lil and will not hatch due to long periods of non-incubation after Lil disappeared). The clutch of six eggs is receiving constant incubation. After Cher contributed an egg to the clutch she became a dependable participant in incubation.

May 9: For almost 3 months, this is the scene falcon-watchers have been observing on the camera--an incubating falcon. Now the second clutch of eggs (six total in the nestbox) has gone beyond the possible hatch window. Soon, we will collect the eggs and deliver them to colleagues who study emerging organic contaminants among sentinel species

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 09:06 by RCF »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
CA / San Francisco - PG&E - 2013 / Dapper Dan & ?
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2013, 16:03 »
2013 NESTING SEASON

as of 22 Feb 2013 - there are two eggs in the nest on the PG&E Building

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: CA / San Francisco - PG&E - 2012 / Dapper Dan & ?
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2012, 10:31 »
According to the website, the chicks here (2 males & 2 females) were banded on April 23rd with the 1st chick, "Perry", fledging on May 8th. At different points in time, all 4 ended up on the ground or in situations that would not allow them to regain altitude for flight, so required rescuing and were placed back on the nestledge. However, 1 of the females, "Amelia", died upon her 2nd attempt at fledging, when she crashed into an adjacent building. :'( The other 3 fledglings appeared to be doing well during fledgewatch in early June, though. :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: CA / San Francisco - PG&E - 2012 / Dapper Dan & ?
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2012, 12:48 »
One of the adults just landed on the nestledge with a bit of food. No sign of any of the juveniles.