Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2018 / A Death in the Family - Beatrix (2011-2018)  (Read 35492 times)

Offline Monarch

• Hatchling
Re: Beatrix - 2011-18
« Reply #167 on: May 01, 2018, 14:09 »
I just read the blog on Beatrix and sitting at my desk at work with tears in my eyes.. so sad

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #166 on: January 22, 2018, 18:57 »
Thank you for your blog on Beatrix, TPC. I know how much she meant to the Project, and I'm so sorry for your loss; my thoughts are with you and Dennis.

Beatrix leaves me with many fond memories. Thank you to those who have shared their photos and videos. I will always remember when Beatrix was rescued from the bottom of a smokestack in Winnipeg, and I’ll remember the gentle way that Kathy Rogers handled her and tried everything she could to ease her stress; they seemed to have a special connection.

I’m very saddened to hear that it had to end this way for our Beatrix. Thank you to Prairie Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre and to everyone who tried their best to help her.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #165 on: January 20, 2018, 13:49 »
you just never know where they will  turn up, so my fingers are crossed. it took 3 years for M49(squeak) jolies daughte( born 2014), to turn up in Edmonton at Bell. I wish she was at a better site but she has a great male,. the male is radissons grandson so princesses, great grand son.

I did not see Beatrix fly but grew attached to  her perseverance. but I did visit jolie, and she captivated me.

so we never know.

hoping for a great season in Winnipeg this year. you will have many new dynamics but  we never forget the great ones,
many hugs here for all who watch at these sites.  :-*

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #164 on: January 17, 2018, 16:31 »
Such sad news.  :'(

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #163 on: January 10, 2018, 18:59 »
I've added a longer post about Beatrix on the blog that includes some photos from Dennis, Rogers Wildlife in Texas and PWRC here.  And courtesy of RCF, two videos of Beatrix & her brothers at the Radisson from 2011 (Thanks RCF!!)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #162 on: January 10, 2018, 01:33 »
With Bristol's and Beamont's deaths this year, I despair that we won't see any of Beatrix's offspring showing off their inheritance.  We've had no word of Bishop or Belle from her nest with Beau or about Tiggy and Tuppence from her nest with Ty.  And nothing about her brothers Carson and Cade.  Maybe Bridget (who is banded) or Sam and Starr (who aren't) might survive and surprise us all in a couple of years ... but for me it is just too soon after Beatrix's loss to be hopeful.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #161 on: January 09, 2018, 23:45 »
Just read the sad news. Thank you TPC, Dennis, rehab centers, et al for your care and dedication. You worked so hard.

I had really hoped that even if she couldn't be released, that she and Beau would be able to have more awesome chicks.

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #160 on: January 09, 2018, 23:19 »
I really expected that Beatrix would one day take over the Radisson site from Princess. How sad that can never happen, despite all the efforts from so many to get her well.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #159 on: January 09, 2018, 18:08 »
Oh no! 
Beatrix's story has been fascinating to follow, and it is so sad to hear there couldn't be a happy ending.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #158 on: January 09, 2018, 15:21 »
I am deeply saddened by this. we know we will loose birds at our sites, but we all hoped beyond hopes for Beatrix.

she was a real trooper and gave her all.
thank you to the rehab and to you Tracy, and to the folks in Texas that cared for her. It always takes a village to keep these fabulous raptors safe.

words cannot truly express how I feel . May your spirit soar high now Beatrix  :-*

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #157 on: January 09, 2018, 12:24 »
Such sad news about Beatrix  :'( we will miss her

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #156 on: January 09, 2018, 05:20 »
 :'( Sad and heartbreaking news about Beatrix. My thanks to the Rogers Wildlife Rehabilitation Center, Kathy Rogers, Wildlife Rehabilitation Center and you, TPC for the care she was given in an effort to restore her to full health so she could be released and resume her life as a bird of prey.  :(

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #155 on: January 08, 2018, 19:07 »
Just saw the Twitter Update.  So sad, can't say the Project and the Rehab facilities didn't give her an honest try..

May She forever soar above the Rainbow Bridge

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Beatrix Rescued in Texas
« Reply #154 on: January 08, 2018, 16:36 »
I'm so sorry Tracy.  Heartbreaking news.  Thank you for all your efforts to save her.  Fly free sweet girl  :'(

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #152 on: November 02, 2017, 22:52 »

I aM Late donating but want to donate to BEatrix. I cannot seem to find link just for Beatrix.( bev)

You can donate from anywhere on the site Bev and just include a note that the donation is for Beatrix - just that simple!  When you donate online there is a space for comments, add your message there.  If you prefer to mail in your donation, just include a note on the donation form indicating that you are donating for Beatrix. 

And just so folks know, a portion of all the donations (ie not just those directed to help Beatrix) will be going to help keep her fed and for her treatments.  So even if you forget to specify that your donation is for Beatrix, you'll still be helping her.

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #151 on: November 02, 2017, 08:33 »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #150 on: November 01, 2017, 18:36 »
It sure has been a long drawn out progress.  Hopefully, She'll be in shape for next spring.  Can you post details or where to find info to send donations?  Thanks.   ;D

Your timing is excellent - we are just about to put in our third order of quail - at about $2.50 per bird including taxes & shipping, they are expensive meals.  Our next order is for 200 quail, so a bit over $500 for the shipment.  If you would like to donate, you can do so here - How to Help Beatrix .  I'll be updating the page and donations tally this weekend!

I aM Late donating but want to donate to BEatrix. I cannot seem to find link just for Beatrix.( bev)

Offline Dagny

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2017, 12:01 »
TU  TPC for all the info about quails.  I've been wondering about this for years.   :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2017, 11:35 »
I'm just curious.  I've seen other peregrine org's also feed quail to their injured birds.  What makes quail such a good meal source?

???

Lots of places use quail for injured food, if they can access it at reasonable rates.  In fact, it is not unusual for falconers and breeding facilities to raise their own quail for their birds.  In our case, the quail we access is raised for their eggs and meat and when its available, we can get quail for our peregrines.  As for what is a reasonable rate, I would suppose that depends on the rehab organization and what percentage of their guests could use quail in their diet and if their finances make it feasible to purchase - keep in mind, they have similar purchasing decisions to make for all their other guests - some of whom may have equally interesting "preferences".  And I should say its a preference because not all raptors eat birds, some are more mammal hunters so mice and rats are another choice - for peregrines to but they can often get fussy about it (or not depending on the bird). 

In terms of maximizing recovery, having a food source that is as close to wild game as possible seems to make a difference - or at least we hope so.  Birds in care often have pale feet, like chicks do, its a function of what they are eating.  I don't know specifically what chemicals or compounds or ratio of this to that will do it (and likely someone has looked at it but I don't have that information) but it has always seemed to me that it is "wild" food - not just the eating of wild food but the wild acquisition of food.  Peregrines in care often don't get to go through the motions of acquiring their food until they get closer to release.  Peregrine chick feet are very pale when they are young, get a bit more yellow as they grow so by the time we band them they are more yellow but not nearly as golden yellow as their parents.  The feet of birds in care often pale some while in care.  Captive-bred chicks often had pale feet too and like injured birds released, they "yellow-up" after they fledge and get hunting.  Birds that have been in care - chicks and adults - can have paler feet as well, but they too darken as they get better or as they shift into a captive life with balanced long-term meal plan that simulates their wild dietary needs.  And quail, though raised, is more of a gamebird than chicken or turkey (excluding wild turkeys which are a whole other kettle of feathers).  The quail we purchase come with feathers on them, (good for keeping her digestive system clean) are about the size of a pigeon which is the right size for a peregrine to munch on.  Given that our goal is to help Beatrix recover, reducing her stress in care and maximizing the benefit of her calories is important - and if quail does that for her and we can access/afford if for her, then quail it is.  A couple of other peregrines have had short stays this summer as well and they have benefited from our some access to Beatrix's larder as well.  And it helps the rehab folks spend more of their money on food for their other patients/residents.  Win-Win-Win.

Now all of that is just my observations over the years.  Falconers, rehab folks and breeders have much more experience and would like have a great range of observations - some agreeing, some probably countering.  As with all things, there are more shades of grey (or yellow in this case) the more access one has and my access in this particular area is not as great as many others so I'm just recounting what I have observed.

Hope that helps answer the question to some extent.  :)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2017, 20:22 »
Recovery from Bumblefoot is notoriously long and it is no different for Beatrix.  She has had a whole whack of surgeries to clear out infection and at the moment that seems to perhaps done the trick.  Now we have to get the wounds to heal - which sounds easy but as anyone who has had wounds (not just cuts and scrapes), the skin needs to heal across the wound not just heal and that takes time.  At the moment she is doing well and PWRC is working on getting the wounds to close up.  Once that happens, we are ready for flight rehab and then we can start to see the end at the end of her tunnel. 

We will be buying more quail for before the end of the year, so if folks want to collect pennies or loonies in a jar I'll be putting out a request for donations end of the month/into November.    We are trying a new thank you gift for donors this year - but more on that this weekend - something to look forward to   ;) ;D

Thank you for the reply, TPC. I do realize that Bumblefoot is extremely difficult to eradicate completely. I am sorry that Beatrix has had to have numerous surgeries for this. That must be very hard on her. I hope she will heal completely this time around.

Offline Dagny

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #146 on: October 13, 2017, 17:02 »
I'm just curious.  I've seen other peregrine org's also feed quail to their injured birds.  What makes quail such a good meal source?

???

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #145 on: October 13, 2017, 08:23 »
Just sent you $ to help out.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #144 on: October 12, 2017, 15:06 »
It sure has been a long drawn out progress.  Hopefully, She'll be in shape for next spring.  Can you post details or where to find info to send donations?  Thanks.   ;D

Your timing is excellent - we are just about to put in our third order of quail - at about $2.50 per bird including taxes & shipping, they are expensive meals.  Our next order is for 200 quail, so a bit over $500 for the shipment.  If you would like to donate, you can do so here - How to Help Beatrix .  I'll be updating the page and donations tally this weekend!

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #143 on: October 12, 2017, 08:23 »
Recovery from Bumblefoot is notoriously long and it is no different for Beatrix.  She has had a whole whack of surgeries to clear out infection and at the moment that seems to perhaps done the trick.  Now we have to get the wounds to heal - which sounds easy but as anyone who has had wounds (not just cuts and scrapes), the skin needs to heal across the wound not just heal and that takes time.  At the moment she is doing well and PWRC is working on getting the wounds to close up.  Once that happens, we are ready for flight rehab and then we can start to see the end at the end of her tunnel. 

We will be buying more quail for before the end of the year, so if folks want to collect pennies or loonies in a jar I'll be putting out a request for donations end of the month/into November.    We are trying a new thank you gift for donors this year - but more on that this weekend - something to look forward to   ;) ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #142 on: October 06, 2017, 07:24 »
Thank you for the Beatrix update TPC.  Happy to hear she is hanging in there.  I'm sure she'll be as happy as us when she is finally able to fly the skies again.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2017, 11:18 »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2017, 10:26 »
It has been some time since there has been an update on Beatrix on the forum. I also check the Prairie Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre site regularly for updates, but have found none. Beatrix has been in care for such a long time; as time goes by, it seems progressively less likely that she will be released. I hope that is not the case.

I would appreciate any news on how Beatrix is coming along.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #139 on: June 21, 2017, 13:53 »
June 2017 Update

She's still coming along - bumblefoot can be a tough nut to crack at times.  PWRC is looking at some supplemental therapies to help with the healing but so far, so good.  She's being a peregrine which is good.  Not out of tricks in our bag yet and she's miffed but not in any risk of anything at the moment ... other than getting bored :)

They have food for the moment and we just paid a couple of months work of medications, vet care and surgery.  For those wanting to support her care, you can hang onto your donation until we call for donations OR just include a note on your donation - there is space on all the donation pages online to include a note if you wish.  Or you can mail it in (don't forget to include a copy of the donation form). 

I have to update some information on the page, but Beatrix has her own page on our website if you want to check it out - the links to donate are at the bottom of the page.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2017, 01:36 »
well I am willing to help out in  that department

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2017, 13:06 »
do they need a donation for her keep ???

At the moment she is covered - she has food for a couple more months and her medical costs are all up-to-date.  So my suggestion would be, if you want to ear-mark your donation specifically for Beatrix, to keep you donation for the moment and as soon as we need to pay for more medical treatment (hopefully not) or medication (perhaps) or food (most probable) then I will post a note and you can donate then.  If you are glad to support PWRC's efforts on behalf of all their furred and feathered patients, then feel free to donate directly to them.  Not to influence your donation, but when long-term care is required for a patient it is a big drain on their resources so it often helps them when they know there is a group of folks that are willing to support that particular patient AND who aren't part of their usual donor base.  New money so to speak.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2017, 11:03 »
do they need a donation for her keep ???

Offline Jo

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2017, 08:03 »
Thank you for the update TPC - I was going to ask how she was doing - my FB "Memory" today was an article about Beatrix being found in Texas

What a girl!

Thank you to you and the folks at Prairie Wildlife Rehab for making this all possible

(This is my 500th post!)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2017, 23:32 »
Poor Beatrix. She sure has had a rough time of it. But at least she is in good hands & is receiving the best possible care.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #133 on: March 15, 2017, 18:26 »
Thank you for updating us. Keeping fingers crossed for her release later this year.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2017, 17:28 »
So far, so good. 

Nice to hear, as that implies hope still exists for a future release.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #131 on: March 14, 2017, 19:32 »
Almost one year now since she was injured and rescued :o

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2017, 12:02 »
Oh poor Beatrix, She just can't catch a break.  :'(

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #129 on: March 13, 2017, 16:17 »
Thank you for the Beatrix update TPC.  Hope she gets better soon  :-* :-\

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #128 on: March 13, 2017, 16:09 »
Hi TPC,

Any further news regarding Beatrix?

With the first peregrine sighting in Winnipeg, will she be released soon so she can take up her territory in WW? or will it be a late release after nesting has already begun?

Beatrix's bumblefoot recently reoccurred and they did a bit more surgery on her - not as invasive as before but they cleaned out the infection and we are waiting to hear what type of infection it is so they can tailor her antibiotics to fight it.  As for release, she will not be released this spring so no worries that she will end up in a fight with Faith (if she returns) before she is in top form.  So far, so good.  Mostly steps forward with an occasional step backwards.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #127 on: March 13, 2017, 14:28 »
Hi TPC,

Any further news regarding Beatrix?

With the first peregrine sighting in Winnipeg, will she be released soon so she can take up her territory in WW? or will it be a late release after nesting has already begun?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2017, 10:48 »
Jan 6 - Have posted an update and a photo of Beatrix on the Peregrine Chick Blog

Thank you TPC for updating us and for helping take care of her  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2017, 15:40 »
Jan 6 - Have posted an update and a photo of Beatrix on the Peregrine Chick Blog

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2016, 15:24 »
Thanks for your update on Beatrix's surgery & healing, TPC.
Thanks also for your donation reminder!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2016, 15:16 »
Beatrix is healing nicely after surgery and it has only been a couple of weeks.  She will be on medication for a little while yet to take care of any infection. 

We have the vet bill now so for those who have made donations recently, that is our first bill to pay on her behalf . Then we will be paying for quail which is important because she is feeding herself now and we want to provide her with food she likes!  And the more she feeds herself, the less stress she is under and more of her resources can be put toward a) healing and b) rehabilitation.

Between the food, vet costs and the cost of getting her back up her (permits, paperwork, couriers, etc) will pretty much eat through all our donations for this year.  So, if you are still thinking you want to make a donation before the end of 2016, please think of us, we will definitely put it to good use.  If you have made all your donations for 2016, Beatrix won't be released until the spring at the earliest so donations made after January 1 will continue to go to her care.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2016, 11:58 »
Thanks for sharing the CBC post. When I read it and again saw the attached photos, I saw something I had not noticed before.........on her boarding pass, I see she traveled this journey using a "child" ticket/boarding pass. And reading your comments and seeing her bandages. I smiled when I read, "we'll take it one STEP at a time"  :) 

I think the airline probably had fun thinking about what they could put on her ticket ... I would have  ;D

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #121 on: December 08, 2016, 12:47 »
 ;D

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #120 on: December 08, 2016, 05:18 »
Thanks for sharing the CBC post. When I read it and again saw the attached photos, I saw something I had not noticed before.........on her boarding pass, I see she traveled this journey using a "child" ticket/boarding pass. And reading your comments and seeing her bandages. I smiled when I read, "we'll take it one STEP at a time"  :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2016, 00:27 »
Just read about Beatrix's return to Manitoba on the CBC website. What wonderful news to receive on my birthday!
So glad to hear she has finally returned to Canadian soil to continue her recovery! Will definitely be making a donation to the Project before the end of the year.  :D

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #118 on: December 07, 2016, 17:30 »
Thank you Tracy! Glad Beatrix is home.  :D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2016, 16:55 »
Thanks for all the links and updates on Beatrix TPC.  :-*

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2016, 15:08 »
Had a chat with the folks on Radio Noon today (Janet Stewart is the new host) and Bryce Hoye has put together a story for their website ...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/peregrine-falcon-beatrix-winnipeg-1.3885249

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2016, 15:06 »
Beatrix really needed a passport? Does it have her picture inside?

A passport was the only thing Beatrix didn't need - the passport was Kathy Rogers'.  But if you look closely on the ticket you can see Beatrix's name (last name first, first name last) "Falcon / Beatrix" on the American Airlines ticket as well as "Docs OK" meaning all her permits were in place.

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2016, 12:33 »
Tracy,

Beatrix really needed a passport? Does it have her picture inside?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2016, 12:00 »
Nice to hear Beatrix is home on Manitoba soil.  But, sorry to hear about her feet.  Is that trouble most likely due to being "perched" for so long in cages?

Sort of - it isn't unusual for raptors in recovery to get things like bumblefoot because they are standing so much as they are recovering.  Usually they would fly, stand, fly, perch, fly, etc - you get the idea.  Lots of different surfaces for them to stand on in lots of different places. Hard to provide that in a captive environment.  On the other hand, easier to spot and treat in a captive environment than in the wild.

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2016, 06:18 »
Nice to hear Beatrix is home on Manitoba soil.  But, sorry to hear about her feet.  Is that trouble most likely due to being "perched" for so long in cages?

Poor thing.  Hope she heals well and fast, and will be back to her fiesty self in the spring.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2016, 00:08 »
We don't know how fast her feet will heal, but we can say that Beatrix will be in recovery until at least the Spring.  Her food preference is for quail which means ordering from an out-of-province breeder.  The price for the quail is reasonable but shipping costs just as much - they have to get flown here so they stay frozen.

If you have been thinking about making a donation (this year or next) and you'd like to help out with Beatrix's recovery - you can donate to the Project (we'll be ordering the quail & contributing to vet costs) or directly to PWRC (you can include a note indicating your donation is for Beatrix's care).

If you want to help, but your finances won't let you donate, no worries, we understand, particularly at this time of the year.  We appreciate everyone's support, financial or otherwise.  And the unfortunate truth is, because we are working with wildlife, there will always be opportunities to help in the future.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2016, 23:41 »
Some photos from Beatrix's adventures ...

En-route from Texas ...

...and then once she was back in town ...

Offline Jo

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2016, 20:33 »
I just saw the update from PWRC and longed in here to read the updates

What an amazing journey Beatrix has had!

Big thanks to TPC and everyone on involved in bringing this girl home

Wishing Beatrix a quick recovery

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2016, 09:55 »
I just saw the news item on FB.  So happy she's back!!  Welcome home Beatrix ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2016, 20:08 »
Heh..well the only falcon I rescued that was that calm was one that rolled in some manure in someone's garden prior to my finding her  ::)  I expect she was having a laugh at me gagging from the smell as I carried her inside to put in the carrier.  ;)

Kathy certainly handled Bea well, she's very good at her job.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2016, 17:44 »
Thank you for the update TPC.  I sure hope she can be free again, she looks really good from what we saw of her in the video though admittedly a bit docile compared to what I would have expected.  I noticed in the video when she was in the flight cage she seemed to be looking for a way out so that's a good sign, non?  ???

Don't know when the flight cage shots were taken, could well have been from the first time she made it into the news.  I'm not sure that docile is exactly how I would have described it - that looking up at the person who's holding you is just what the chicks and injured birds do when we handle them - like they don't trust you not to drop them!  It would also help that Kathy is familiar with holding her, often that helps to keep birds a wee bit calmer particularly in unfamiliar locations.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2016, 17:26 »
Thank you for the update TPC.  I sure hope she can be free again, she looks really good from what we saw of her in the video though admittedly a bit docile compared to what I would have expected.  I noticed in the video when she was in the flight cage she seemed to be looking for a way out so that's a good sign, non?  ???

Thank you to everyone that made it possible to bring her home  :) :-*

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2016, 17:02 »
Yup, Beatrix is back in Manitoba.  Took forever to get all the permits in place and it seemed like every time we got past one obstacle another one would unexpectedly crop up.  The Canadian import permits were relatively painless and quick but the USFWS export permit took forever.  So after 6 months the last of the paperwork arrived on Tuesday and it was in Texas on Wednesday so that it could accompany Beatrix was on the plane Thursday.  And now she's here.

Beatrix has had her first vet visit and she'll be heading back again next week.  She's not however out of the woods I'm afraid.  So keep your fingers crossed everyone.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2016, 05:02 »
Carly, you have absolutely made my day with this wonderful news. Thank you so much for sharing with me/us. Welcome home, Beatrix!  ;D ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2016, 04:29 »
Thank you for the video link Alison!  What a great sight to wake up to.  Hopefully she and Kathy arrived safely and we'll hear more once Bea is settled in.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2016, 00:47 »
This is the most wonderful news! Thanks, Carly! I've been checking frequently for updates on the forum, but there had been nothing new.

Welcome home, beautiful Beatrix! Many thanks to Kathy Rogers for taking such great care of Beatrix for so long.

NBC had coverage of Beatrix's travels tonight, with a short video:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Beatrix-the-Falcon-Gets-Help-Flying-Home-to-Canada-After-Rehab-404130966.html

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2016, 20:59 »
From the comments below the article, she'll be home by midnight tonight.

And as to where she is going:  She's going home to Winnipeg where she hatched and where she nests. They'll keep her at a rehab facility for the winter and release her in the spring for the nesting season.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2016, 20:44 »
From their FB page:

Remember this lady? Well......she's finally going home. First leg of the journey to Toronto is complete and now on to Winnipeg. Almost home, Bea!!!!!!

Bea's Passport!!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 20:50 by carly »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2016, 20:40 »
Beatrix is on her way home, post just popped up on my Facebook, she's in Toronto on her way to TPC I assume???

https://www.facebook.com/rogerswildlife/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2016, 15:16 »

She has been improving but as we have seen with 19/K, soft tissue injuries can take a long time to heal.  Things have slowed a bit though because of the summer heat in Texas but the rehab folks have been taking great care to make sure she's staying cool and is very well fed on quail.  Her personality is still attitudinal (which is great) but they understand her by now.   ;D 

I am glad to hear that Beatrix is improving. Since she is not yet fully healed, and migration has already begun, will she perhaps remain in care through the winter?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2016, 16:45 »
Just wondering if Beatrix has been making any progress? It has been five months since she was injured; I hope that she is improving and will soon be fully recovered. 

She has been improving but as we have seen with 19/K, soft tissue injuries can take a long time to heal.  Things have slowed a bit though because of the summer heat in Texas but the rehab folks have been taking great care to make sure she's staying cool and is very well fed on quail.  Her personality is still attitudinal (which is great) but they understand her by now.   ;D 

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2016, 21:15 »
Just wondering if Beatrix has been making any progress? It has been five months since she was injured; I hope that she is improving and will soon be fully recovered.

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2016, 14:58 »
Thanks for your answers Tracey.  Paperwork sounds complicated.

Offline kekes

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2016, 14:01 »
they are probably running out of qual!  ;D  just kidding ... it will good for her to come home!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2016, 12:39 »
How's Beatrix doing?

Rogers Wildlife Rehabilitation Center I'm waiting on paperwork from Canada to fly her home. She's doing well just can't make the trip on her own.
Like · Reply · 23 hrs

TPC, I asked them for an update on their Facebook feed and this was the answer.  I have a question: If She is "flown" back to Winnipeg, will She be released near the West Winnipeg Site? and will She be well/strong enough for migration?  Will flying her back to Winnipeg mess with her orientation?

Don't know the answer to any of those questions really, she isn't coming up here to be released, she is coming up here to finish her rehabilitation in anticipation of her being re-released.  And arrival isn't imminent, we have 4 levels of government paperwork to hopefully work our way though yet.

As for her orientation, remember that the first time she migrated as a chick she had no idea where she was going or why but she still ended up where most of our peregrines seem to end up for the winter.  We don't understand what all the cues and clues most birds use to migrate though there is lots of speculation.  The fact that a 4 month old bird can fly from Winnipeg to Mexico all by itself just the way thousands of its ancestors have done for millions of years (yes, literally - it is believed they diverged from other falcons in the late Miocene to early Pliocene - 5-8 million years ago) is enough to convince me that there has been a lot more going on in those little brains and bodies for a very long time and that we are probably never going to come close to fully understanding how they do it, which works for me.  So no, Beatrix won't have any problem figuring out what she wants to do when she finally gets the chance to do it.

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2016, 08:59 »
How's Beatrix doing?

Rogers Wildlife Rehabilitation Center I'm waiting on paperwork from Canada to fly her home. She's doing well just can't make the trip on her own.
Like · Reply · 23 hrs

TPC, I asked them for an update on their Facebook feed and this was the answer.  I have a question: If She is "flown" back to Winnipeg, will She be released near the West Winnipeg Site? and will She be well/strong enough for migration?  Will flying her back to Winnipeg mess with her orientation?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2016, 11:21 »
Is there a point where she'll have spent so much time in captivity that she won't be able to function in the wild, TPC?  ie.  she hasn't been hunting to feed herself, etc.

No, they don't forget how do be a wild peregrine.  Even falconry birds trained from almost hatching to work and live with humans regularly take off and do just fine in the wild.  All the important stuff is hardwired.  And there have been lots of birds that have spent a year or more in captivity and been returned to the wild no problem.  We don't believe she will take that long.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2016, 11:09 »
Is there a point where she'll have spent so much time in captivity that she won't be able to function in the wild, TPC?  ie.  she hasn't been hunting to feed herself, etc.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2016, 11:03 »
i was wondering, as she has missed this breeding season, will she come back here next year, or will she stay down south ... is it common for them to always or almost always return to the same nesting area ...

Her hardwiring is such that wherever she is released, she will migrate south to Mexico and then head back north - likely back to here since she has nested successfully here twice and she hatched from here.  But we will have to see how she does and what she wants to do. All we can do is get her healthy enough to be released back into the wild.

Offline kekes

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2016, 10:48 »
i was wondering, as she has missed this breeding season, will she come back here next year, or will she stay down south ... is it common for them to always or almost always return to the same nesting area ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2016, 21:55 »
My thoughts always wonder to Beatrix ... its been awhile, how is she doing?

She's healing slowly ... and eating her way though a mountain of quail!!!

Offline kekes

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2016, 21:23 »
My thoughts always wonder to Beatrix ... its been awhile, how is she doing?

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2016, 07:41 »
Thanks so much for sharing this, RCF! I have a better understanding now.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2016, 18:05 »
Beatrix the Falcon Still Not Cleared To Fly

More than two months after she arrived, a rare Peregrine falcon remains at the Rogers Wildlife Rehabilitation Center in Hutchins.

"Once she's up, she can fly back and forth, but it's getting from the ground up where she has the problem," said Kathy Rogers, founder of the wildlife center

More at this link
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Beatrix-The-Falcon-Still-Not-Cleared-To-Fly-380310761.html

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2016, 13:07 »
Thanks for the update on Beatrix TPC.  She's in the best place right now especially given that her mate has a new girl and eggs..well it wouldn't end well for someone.  She can take her time, there is always next year for babies  :-*

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2016, 12:44 »
Thanks TPC! No doubt she is in a place where she can receive the rehab best for her. Stay put Beatrix!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2016, 12:18 »
Are there any new updates on Beatrix?  ???

Same as before - doing well, bit stronger, eating nicely (if expensively) ... soft tissue injuries are a pain because they can take a long time and because it's her wing, its always in use while she's recuperating ...

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2016, 11:44 »
Are there any new updates on Beatrix?  ???

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2016, 16:34 »
She's still in rehab down south and doing well except they still don't think she is ready to go.

I'm looking into the permit requirements to get her across the border if it comes to that but it takes more time and paperwork than you might imagine.

When she is ready to go, hopefully she won't have the urge to seek out Ty and her nestsite with any great determination, but that too we will have to wait and see about.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2016, 13:59 »
Any more news of Beatrix?
Will she be released back into the wild?
I guess it's too late for her to nest this year.
And anyway, her Winnipeg nest has been taken over by Faith this year.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2016, 17:36 »
Perfectly good question GCG - so far they have had some storms blow through and she is recovering but they want her stronger before she's re-released.  And they are the ones who are dealing with her day-to-day so we rely on their assessment.  And they have been consulting with rehabbers up here so there are lots of folks with lots of experience keeping an eye on her progress.

I will be sure to let folks know when we get closer to her release!  :)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2016, 04:31 »
I have a relative in the area and thought this would be a problem for release. In addition, this is in tornado alley and the season is beginning.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2016, 19:00 »
There is major flooding in the Houston area - that's where the state of emergency is.  Dallas-Fort Worth is north of there.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2016, 21:14 »
Yikes!  That's not good for flyers!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2016, 20:19 »
Any word from Dallas, TPC?

They've declared a state of emergency down there due to rains and flooding  :-\

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2016, 20:37 »
Any word from Dallas, TPC?

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2016, 16:41 »
 :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2016, 17:30 »
Just a brief update - Beatrix's vertical flight is improving!!

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2016, 11:16 »
Yes, thank you, she seems to be receiving excellent care.

Offline Jo

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2016, 19:24 »
Thank you for the update.

Sounds like she's in very good hands.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2016, 08:07 »
Spoke with the Texas rehab folks and she doing well flying on the horizontal but still needs more work being able to fly upwards - they would like her to be able to get a bit higher (over 10 feet) with ease - that would assure them any bruising to the soft tissue around her shoulders has resolved itself.  If she got bonked in the head by hail, her shoulders likely got bonked/bruised (no breaks found her remember) as well.  Vertical flight is tough - takes a lot of skill and strength to do - she has the skill but with a bruised shoulder, she would need time to get back to full strength.  She's eating 2 quail a day and her weight is right up there were it should be.  Fortunately, she's a smaller female peregrine - I think I mentioned that when she first came in, they though she was a he by the size.  Anyway, this is why rehab for birds is a slow process, lots of waiting and watching.  All is going good and they are confident she's going to be re-released it is just a case of when.  We really are still early days in the nesting season so she's still find for raising a family if she's released in the next month and if she misses this nesting season, there is always next year and the extra time recuperating improves the odds she will be back to nest again. 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2016, 19:33 »
Good grief!  I do hope we can get her home safely.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2016, 11:42 »
Texas has been hit with another severe/hail storm. Keep Beatrix safe, fly her home first class!

http://globalnews.ca/news/2633149/watch-green-clouds-tennis-ball-sized-hail-ravage-parts-of-texas/?sf24204007=1
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 12:09 by GCG »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2016, 04:35 »
Thank you Alison for sharing this video and exciting news about her progress. Anticipation builds.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2016, 23:34 »
From the sound of this news story, Beatrix is going to be released for her flight home. Not coming on a plane after all. Will she really make it back to Winnipeg in time to nest this season, TPC? ???

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2016, 20:43 »
Another news video of Beatrix, with some great close-ups of her. She is so beautiful.

GCG, you were asking about flight cages. In this video, you can see the outdoor flights at Rogers Wildlife Rehabilitation Center.

http://kxan.com/2016/03/29/falcon-injured-in-north-texas-expected-to-go-home-soon/

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2016, 15:39 »
For those of you looking at the weather forecast and seeing snow and strong winds over the next couple of days, don't worry, Beatrix isn't quite ready to return to the wind quite yet.

So good to hear more about Beatrix and the outlook for her return to Winnipeg. Look forward to hearing that she's fully recuperated and released for her flight home!

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2016, 10:34 »
Great to see them experiencing our bird!  Sure is funny how they can't get her name the same twice in that news clip. 

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2016, 05:34 »
 :) Thanks so much for sharing this Alison. She is such a beauty. Hope she and Ty can reunite soon.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2016, 22:18 »
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 22:22 by Alison »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2016, 13:26 »
For those of you looking at the weather forecast and seeing snow and strong winds over the next couple of days, don't worry, Beatrix isn't quite ready to return to the wind quite yet.

Which is nice timing as it may be that Ty has returned and is in the process of evicting Faith from the West Wpg nestbox.  Don't know for sure, but from the bombing runs we were watching this morning, it seems like a pretty good bet.  Have to ID the bird yet to say for sure but fingers crossed.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2016, 09:25 »
I became curious about flight cages upon hearing Beatrix would be placed in one so I did a google search and saw this video. It shows fledglings being rehabilitated but I'm sure it is close to what Beatrix will endure.

https://vimeo.com/145195570

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2016, 20:21 »

Thank you for the explanation regarding Beatrix, TPC.

Is there now a good possibility of Beatrix being released in Texas - with the hope that she may successfully complete her journey back to Winnipeg?

That's one option Burdi - would give her time to shake off the cobwebs and hunt on her way north.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2016, 14:26 »

Thank you for the explanation regarding Beatrix, TPC.

Is there now a good possibility of Beatrix being released in Texas - with the hope that she may successfully complete her journey back to Winnipeg?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2016, 12:54 »
TPC, is it possible she can be brought home and placed at the Wildlife Haven Rehabilitation Centre until she can be released? 

I had the same thought. 

We are going to see how she does in the flight cages in Texas which will tell us if there is a need for a long recuperation.  What I can tell you is that she has decided that she doesn't want to be the calm little darling anymore, with is a good sign that she is raring to get going!  If she were to need a long recuperation then we would certainly consider rehabbing her up here as that will give us time to put together all the federal and international permits required to transport her across state, provincial and international borders.  But before we get to Plan J, lets see how she does in the flight cage for a few days - she's only been there for a day and a bit after close to 10 days in a small unit inside the hospital itself. 

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2016, 11:15 »
TPC, is it possible she can be brought home and placed at the Wildlife Haven Rehabilitation Centre until she can be released? 

I had the same thought.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2016, 09:50 »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2016, 23:34 »
That's what I was thinking, TPC. Certainly don't want to see a territorial dispute, where one or both of these females gets injured. Especially not after all that Beatrix has gone through.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2016, 09:35 »
Beatrix got a clean bill of health from the ophthalmic specialist - her eyes and vision are fine.  Now she needs to spend a bit of time in a flight cage getting her wings under her.  The folks at the Rogers Wildlife Rehab Centre are very pleased and encouraged that she will soon be ready to come home soon.

This is such good news!
If she is flown back to Winnipeg, will she be placed in her old West Winnipeg nest box, TPC?
I'm thinking not since it could be quite the conundrum, with Faith hanging out there.  :-\

Not sure what we will be doing for Beatrix's release - will need to see how she does in the flight cage in Texas - make sure she's strong enough.  One thing I can say is that we won't be returning her directly to the nestbox, not with Faith there, but probably not even if Faith wasn't there.  Unlike the chicks who we try to get back to Mom and Dad after they've been injured, we need to give Beatrix the opportunity to get her wings under her and let her come in at her own speed.  Last thing we want is to facilitate either Faith or Beatrix being injured over a territorial dispute.  May happen whatever we do, but we don't need to help them do it.  At this point, we are all in a holding pattern - Beatrix, Faith and the Project.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2016, 22:41 »
Beatrix got a clean bill of health from the ophthalmic specialist - her eyes and vision are fine.  Now she needs to spend a bit of time in a flight cage getting her wings under her.  The folks at the Rogers Wildlife Rehab Centre are very pleased and encouraged that she will soon be ready to come home soon.

This is such good news!
If she is flown back to Winnipeg, will she be placed in her old West Winnipeg nest box, TPC?
I'm thinking not since it could be quite the conundrum, with Faith hanging out there.  :-\

Offline Jo

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2016, 22:17 »
Good to hear that Beatrix's eyes are fine. Thank you for the update TPC

Carly, thank you for spotting Beatrix on FB!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2016, 18:27 »
What a relief!!  Couldn't ask for better news!   :-* ;D

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2016, 15:51 »
This is wonderful news, TPC. Thanks for sharing!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2016, 15:15 »

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2016, 11:33 »
Carly, this phanatic wants to thank you so very much. So proud to have this forum as a means and way to acknowledge how much I appreciate what you have done to bring focus to our Beatrix and play a very major role in getting her home. :-*

Totally agree!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2016, 07:41 »
Carly, this phanatic wants to thank you so very much. So proud to have this forum as a means and way to acknowledge how much I appreciate what you have done to bring focus to our Beatrix and play a very major role in getting her home. :-*

You are very welcome!  I love her too  :-*

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2016, 12:50 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2016, 10:29 »
With all the Winnipeg and Texas media coverage about Beatrix, thought I would give you the hard facts ...

Just so folks know ...
  • It was Carly here on the Forum who passed along the information & band number that a Winnipeg bird might be in Texas and that was how we confirmed her identity. 
  • The folks from the BBL initially thought it was a Toronto bird then confirmed it was Beatrix from Winnipeg (that darn line between the band numbers). 
  • We don't know yet if anything is wrong with Beatrix's eye(s) but the folks in Texas are concerned hence the reason for the vet visit
  • We don't have solid plans for her return/release yet, there are just lots of ideas being bounced around as possibilities. 
  • The folks in Texas want to help anyway they can to get her up here safely (hence the GoFundMe campaign), what way that will be depends on the outcome of the visit to the vet.

If you have other questions, you know here is where to post them.   :D

Offline Jo

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2016, 19:22 »
What an amazing story!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2016, 17:26 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2016, 15:31 »
Have also just finished chatting with the Winnipeg Feee Press and CJOB so Beatrix's 15 minutes of fame isn't over yet.

Look for the WFP story likely over the weekend. CJOB may start running it by about dinner time tonight and into tomorrow.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2016, 14:41 »
The Dallas/Fort Worth news outlet is the only one that has contacted the Project for more information however.  ;)

Well, that's just goofy ::)

Actually, have spoken to CBC Manitoba now - I emailed to tell them the photo in their story wasn't Beatrix and they emailed me back asking to chat a bit more about Beatrix.  Likely will be a web story rather than on one of the radio or tv news casts but who knows, might be a very slow news day.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2016, 14:09 »
The Dallas/Fort Worth news outlet is the only one that has contacted the Project for more information however.  ;)

Well, that's just goofy ::)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2016, 13:17 »
There's also some stories on:

CBC Manitoba - http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-winnipeg-peregrine-falcon-injured-in-dallas-texas-1.3507324

CTV Winnipeg - http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/rare-falcon-hurt-by-texas-hail-while-flying-home-to-canada-1.2832465

The Dallas/Fort Worth news outlet is the only one that has contacted the Project for more information however.  ;)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2016, 13:13 »
TPC, how do the folks in Texas know there's something wrong with Beatrix's eyesight? ??? 

There wasn't a mark on her when she came in, so they figured, in part because of when she was found and where she was found, that she had gotten caught in the big hail storm that buzzed through the area on the 17th (http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/03/17/hail-kills-7-birds-at-the-dallas-zoo/).  They were concerned in the beginning because it seemed to them that she wasn't as alert as she should have been.  That was when they made the decision to get her in to see an ophthalmic specialist.  Since then however, she much more alert and tracking so they think if she did have any problems with her vision (remember, she hasn't seen the vet yet) that she has improved.  They want to try her in a flight cage to see if she'll fly which she may not do if she's having vision problems.  It is however just their concern, it has yet to be confirmed by the vet.  She pretty symmetrical in her responses to things from what little I've seen in photos and the video so if there was any cause for concern, she may be recovering from it.  But it is all just supposition until she's seen by the vet.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2016, 12:34 »
TPC, how do the folks in Texas know there's something wrong with Beatrix's eyesight? ???

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2016, 12:09 »
Beatrix is now a local celebrity. Just saw a Facebook post from Global News.  ;D

http://globalnews.ca/news/2600529/rare-falcon-injured-in-texas-storm-while-migrating-home-to-winnipeg/?sf23148741=1

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2016, 11:37 »
Very interesting video. She seems to be in good hands.
What a blessing that people love and take care of the peregrines.
God speed!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2016, 06:04 »
Thanks for sharing that story TPC.  She is beautiful and she's quite calm with the lady isn't she?  I sure hope her vision not being 100% is temporary and she can come home soon.

They've had another bad storm down there, I sure hope none of the other falcons we're waiting on get caught up down there and can make it home safely.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2016, 02:48 »
News story about Beatrix on NBC affiliate in Dallas/Fort Worth - includes video

Rare Peregrine Falcon Injured in North Texas

They mention they are concerned about her eyesight but they are less concerned about it every day.  It's one of the things they will have checked out by the vet (an ophthalmic specialist) when she has her appointment.  I reported before that they are planning to try her out in a flight cage before she sees the vet, that's because they are less worried about her eyesight now than the were when she came in last week and they want/need to know if she'll fly.  She's being stubborn about feeding herself so getting her flying could get her feeding herself which would be good - she's not going hungry we just need to get back into shape for her to have a successful re-release.

And yes they got her nest site wrong - they were asking if there was a webcam to watch her and I was explaining that we only had a came on one site and it was where she hatched not where she nested.  Probably my fault in the explaining, it was a long distance conference call while they were on-site with Beatrix.

They did use Dennis' photo of Beatrix from last year' banding however - now they are both (Beatrix and Dennis) internationally famous!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2016, 18:24 »
Hopefully she will be pronounced ready to lay claim to her WW nest and her man.

Her "man" has to turn up ... haven't seen Ty yet this year ....

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2016, 18:21 »
Hopefully she will be pronounced ready to lay claim to her WW nest and her man.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2016, 15:38 »
Spoke to the rehab centre and Beatrix is still doing great and they are going to try her in a flight cage and see what she wants to do.  Even though she is doing very well, they are still going to have her seen by a vet.  So, still good news.

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2016, 14:02 »
On a positive note, I found this video that shows how feisty and resilient Beatrix is.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pXPD7Ijxqc

There is always so much drama in the PF world at this time of year! I am keeping fingers and toes crossed that Beatrix is ok and that she can come "home". Looking forward to good news.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2016, 15:23 »
On a positive note, I found this video that shows how feisty and resilient Beatrix is.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pXPD7Ijxqc

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2016, 12:53 »
Just so folks are aware of what needs to happen ... We have figure out how to get her back up here - permissions and permits et al.  To get her back here means crossing international borders which we haven't done before so there will me hoops and hoops and hoops.  And that is so long as she is cleared by the vet.  So while it is all veryexciting and I am working on plan A it is best to remember that it is one step at a time ... Keeping your fingers cross would go amiss either ...  ;)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2016, 12:04 »
What a great story!
She has a husband, a nest and a lot of fans waiting for her in Winnipeg.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 06:23 »
Unable to find words to describe how elated I am by this incredible news. Thanks for all the updates and links.  ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 04:52 »
Great news to wake up to!  And yes now all we need is for the vet checkup and hope she is good to go  :-*

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 00:41 »
Wow! Sure do hope Beatrix is able to make it back to Winnipeg soon.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 20:49 »
Wow they already have enough donations to fly her home!   8)  Now all she needs is a vet check to make sure she is okay!

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2016, 19:12 »
Hurry home Beatrix!  This is such a great story.  From smokestack to hailstorm with a bunch of kids in between :-*

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 18:25 »
Thank you for the donation link Alison, done - let's get her home!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 17:12 »
There is also a link to donate to help get Beatrix home.

Beatrix is from Winnipeg, Canada and nests there each year. Her husband and nest are both waiting for her return. She was injured here in Dallas on her way home. When her rehab is complete, she needs to be flown back so as not to miss the beginning of nesting season the middle of April. She is an endangered species in Canada and part of The Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project's critical breeding program.Help us get this special lady back home.

https://www.gofundme.com/wuvb3ctm

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 17:05 »
Thank you so much for the update and further information on Beatrix, TPC.

Rogers Wildlife Rehabilitation Center has now posted anr update:

We got an email from the project coordinator of the Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project in Manitoba, Canada last night and got some cool backstory on the peregrine falcon, Beatrix!

"One of the supporters of our Project found and passed along your facebook report on the peregrine that was injured in your recent hailstorm. First of all, thank you! Your newest patient, as you have discovered through the BBL is one of ours.

Your patient is Beatrix, a 2011 wild-hatched female from our longest running nestsite here in Manitoba - the Radisson Hotel in downtown Winnipeg. She has also been the resident female in our West Winnipeg territory for the last two years and has successfully raised four offspring - four females (Belle, Bristol, Tiggy & Tuppence) and two males (Beaumont & Bishop). Her daughter Bristol was identified south of Winnipeg in Grand Forks, North Dakota just this spring.

In 2011 all of the Radisson chicks were named, by popular vote, after historical conservationalists. She was named after Beatrix Potter the English author, illustrator, mycologist and conservationist who left all of her property to the National Trust which now makes up most of England's Lake District National Park. Beatrix's siblings were named Carson after Rachel Carson of Silent Spring fame, Cade after Tom Cade the founding chairman of The Peregrine Fund and Fyfe after Richard Fyfe who founded the Canadian Anatum Peregrine Falcon Recovery Program in the 1970s.

Our project is part of Richard Fyfe's national recovery program and we began releasing captive-bred chicks in 1981. The first confirmed wild peregrine nest in Manitoba since before WW2 occurred in 1989 and Beatrix is a great grand-daughter from that first wild nest.

I would greatly appreciate if you could send me an update on her condition (she looks good in the photos on your Facebook page) and what her prognosis is. Hopefully she is releasable and that you can let me know when she is released (perhaps with a couple of photos) and we can watch out for her up here and send you and all your volunteers and supporters updates. Our experience with her is that she is a tough, capable little bird so we hope that with the help of the Rogers Wildlife Rehab she can be back on her way home soon.

Thank you again and I hope to hear from you soon."

https://www.facebook.com/Rogers-Wildlife-Rehabilitation-Center-398035120217303/

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 15:46 »
Thank you for the update TPC!  I just got home and saw they've added more photos of her to their site with a 'story to come' mention. 

Sure hope she can be on her way home soon, hate to see her have a fight for her site when she finally gets here if it's too late  :-\

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 14:49 »
 ;D YES! I believe she became quite the CTV celebrity. She certainly surprised some workers. And many photo ops!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 14:31 »
Back story? 
Was it Beatrix that was picked up as a grounded fledgling by Ms Dolittle and popped in a cardboard box?

No Beatrix is from the Radisson and went down the smokestack downtown.  It was two days after she fledged.  Had her checked out by Wildlife Haven and then she and her brother Carson came back out to the Radisson and we released them together back into the nestbox and their brother Cade was overseeing the whole activity from the wall above our heads.  That was in 2011.

In 2013 she reappeared in the West Winnipeg territory in October hunting giant water bugs in mid-air (disgustingly unappetizing but very cool to watch) then she was back in the Spring of 2014 bright and early to welcome Beau back and they had 4 chicks - Beaumont, Bishop, Bristol (who's in Grand Forks last we heard) and Belle.  Back again in 2015 and after a set-to between Beau and Ty at the nest site, she settled down with Ty and they had 2 chicks - Tiggy (who ate something she shouldn't have but recovered) and Tuppence.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 13:18 »
Back story? 
Was it Beatrix that was picked up as a grounded fledgling by Ms Dolittle and popped in a cardboard box?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 11:34 »
Spoke with the Rogers Wildlife Rehab Centre and Beatrix was found near an major intersection but didn't look to have collided with anything and it was just after the major hail storm that blew through the area ()

She is a very good weight and in great condition.  She's so calm in the centre that it surprised the rehabbers - might be because she grew up at the Radisson where she would have hear people noises (footsteps, doors, voices) every day of her life.  She's eating but not keen on quail so they asked for some suggestions which because of the webcams I was able to provide.  She is going to go off to the vet as soon as they can get her an appointment.  She appears uninjured but they need to make sure.  They are optimistic that she is releasable but she really needs to be seen by the vet before they are more than optimistic.

I provided them with her back story so they will be sharing that with their supporters either on their website or Facebook page (sorry, forgot to ask).  And I will most more information as I get it.

So far, so good.  No news of obvious injuries is good news until we hear back from her vet visit.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 00:36 »
Thanks carly   I brought her pics over...I don't think everyone has FaceBook.

She's beautiful!   :-*.

Thanks for the photos RCF - and for those wanting to check out the rehab centre's Facebook page it is a public page so you can see most everything.  I'm one of those people RCF referred to (;)) who doesn't have a Facebook account and I was able to check it out.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 00:05 »
I am sorry that Beatrix ran into problems in a hail storm, but glad that she was found and taken to rehab. I wonder where she was found originally, and how she ended up at Rogers Wildlife Center. I hope she will recover fully and be able to continue her journey home. She really is a beautiful falcon.

Sounds as if it was a really bad hail storm, with hail ranging from golf ball size to tennis ball size, and huge amounts of damage. The Fort Worth Zoo lost seven or eight of their birds in the storm.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article66605132.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/violent-hail-storm-kills-7-birds-at-fort-worth-zoo-in-texas/

I am just grateful that Beatrix was able to make it through the storm, and is in a safe place.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 20:36 »
Thanks carly   I brought her pics over...I don't think everyone has FaceBook.

She's beautiful!   :-*

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 22:44 by RCF »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 18:56 »
You know when I saw her yesterday, I started typing a pm to you and then someone else posted they found the bands so I deleted it.  Should have went with my gut instinct  :-\ 

I'm so glad that the Rehab centre decided to do their due diligence.  I book marked the site and that's why I got notice of the update a little while ago.

Sounds like she will be okay...I hope so anyway.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 18:52 »
Thanks for catching/finding this Carly!  I've emailed the Rogers Wildlife Centre and will call them tomorrow as well.  Will post an update once I've got something to report.

As for why the confusion about the band number - it is usually because of the bisecting line in the middle, folks who report band numbers tend to just focus on the numbers/letters and ignore the line.  Fortunately there aren't many birds with "line" bands anymore.  We have a fair whack because we don't band many birds so our line bands were spread out over a number of years.  Yet another reason we take photos of our bands.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Tracy, sent you a PM.  Rogers Wildlife (Texas) rescued a female peregrine banded sideways *Y/4 and someone found that band sequence in the database and it showed an Ontario bird from 1999.

Edit to add:  It's Beatrix!!!!!  I knew I knew that band, I just searched your site here to coonfirm!

However just now the rehab centre posted this:

I just got off the phone with the banding office and got the info on our Peregrine. She was banded when she was too young to fly on 6-16-2011 in Manitoba, Canada. When I went back to look at her today I could only be amazed at all the many, many miles she's flown, what she's seen, and all the perils she's overcome. She could have ended up anywhere, but the universe sent her to us. So now, it's up to us to do what is needed to get this remarkable lady back in the air to continue her life's journey.
heart

Here is their facebook page - details and photos of her on page:  https://www.facebook.com/Rogers-Wildlife-Rehabilitation-Center-398035120217303/?fref=nf
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 18:34 by carly »