Author Topic: Logan - 2016 / Hart & Jolicoeur  (Read 17526 times)

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: Logan - 2016 / Hart & Jolicoeur
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 12:49 »
 ;D  Nice pic. Dennis.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 08:20 »

I may not be a fortune teller but I do see eggs in the future...just sayin !

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2016, 11:24 »
Hart and Joli (both confirmed at the time by the leg bands) were canoodling near the Logan nestsite so all looks good with this pair for this year.  Hart is hard to read, our little surfer boy, way too laid back and often late to the party (ie, nest checks, banding).  But he seems to work well with Joli and their kids are always well-fed and taken care of and she couldn't do that on her own.  Could just be he is one of the more invisible males - an uncle of his was like that at the Radisson many years ago.  This year, that invisibility may help him if he actually attempts to two-time Joli ... and yes, he was back at the West Winnipeg nestbox this morning to do some renos on the scrape in the nestbox.  Didn't see him involved in some extra-curricular hanky panky with Faith, but who knows.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 13:44 »
Hart and Joli have a nice clean nestbox - we couldn't clean it last fall because the weather went very wet and usually we would have the nestbox all checked out and waiting for them before they got back or just as they were returning, but they are back a bit early so this year we were a bit late.  Won't make any difference to them, Joli is already asserting her dominance over the nestbox and the surrounding area.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 12:48 »
Dennis managed to catch Joli's band number while she was flying overhead this morning - so we can confirm that Hart and Joli are back at Logan.  Question is will Hart be a faithful husband or a bit of a rover?  :o

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 10:21 »
Gallery for Logan has been started http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/peregrines_2016

As well a few more photos have been added in the West Wpg Gallery.

More photos will be added as time goes on.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 14:39 »
Well, Dennis in his wanderings wandered past the Logan nestsite today and spotted a bird he knew was not Faith.  How did Dennis know without reading her band number, well a) she looks very different from Faith even from a distance and b) Dennis has a crush on Joli and while we don't have the new female's band number yet, we can say that she has the same colour combination on legband as Joli has and Hart was sitting with about 10 feet of her - something two adult peregrines don't do at this time of the year at nestsites unless they know each other.  Hart's been a wee bit cloistered, so chances are, Joli has returned though we do need to confirm her band number and of course, stranger things have happened ....

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 20:45 »
I found some information on Faith when she fledged in 2013.   :)

Outdoors with Sam Cook

http://samcook.areavoices.com/2013/07/14/young-duluth-falcons-have-exciting-weekend/

Rescuing young peregrine, Faith, A/33:

The next day we watched the birds and all of them stayed on top or inside the nest box. They were practicing flapping their wings a lot. Later that night, I went to check on the birds again and I noticed one was missing from the box. So I decided I should go look for it. Moments later, I was driving down Superior Street and I noticed a young peregrine perched on a chain fence. She was not far off the ground and a crowd of people were taking photos of her. At this point, I rushed over and talked to the people, I was able to get someone to stay there until I could get our rescue kit. I was told when I returned that she had hit a window of the restaurant she was perched near. I was not sure of her ability to fly back up so I grabbed her and put her in the cage. Again, I contacted people at the Greysolon and brought her up to be evaluated and released. Thankfully, she was also OK after the crash. Now, here is the funny part: Around 20 minutes after I put her back up on the roof, she found her way up a ladder, onto the ledge of the building and was trying to fly again. She took two short flights on the building and one longer one. She flew around to the front of the building and tried to land on it but was instead scraping her feet and flapping her wings wildly trying to land somewhere. I went to the front of the building and found her on the overhang above the Greysolon building entrance. This was the lowest but still safe enough perch for her to be on. So, my coworker Miranda and I decided to stay and watch her a while to make sure she did not end up in the street. Eventually we had to go, and she did not move for a few hours. We were nervous to leave her, but we informed late night businesses nearby of what was happening and told them to call if there was trouble.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 20:56 by RCF »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 18:21 »
Hart's little friend looks to be a 2013 wild-hatched chick from the Greysolon Plaza in Duluth, Minnesota.  Dennis and I have been watching her saying she isn't Joli and it is nice to be proven correct.  Her name is Faith.  So far they have just been hanging out at West Winnipeg and at the Logan nestsites, will have to see if it comes to more than that or if she gets pushed out by Ty or Joli (if they return) or Beatrix is she does.

I've contacted the folks in Duluth and they may have more info on Faith to share.  And I'll post a photo of her in the next day - I'll find a good one from the webcam.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 11:44 »
Hart and his lady friend are still bouncing from WW to Logan ... I'd like to see him convince her to stay at Logan (if Joli doesn't return in the next few days) so that West Winnipeg is open for Beatrix's return (still pending vet - more on that on her thread).

I may have an ID on Hart's new friend however ... just crossing the Ts and dotting the Is to make sure and then I'll post the information.  She doesn't look like any of our current birds - much darker head so I'll post a photo from the webcam at the same time so folks can put a "face" to the ID.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 07:50 »
Yesterday, before 6 pm, spotted a bird in WW on the south east corner. Usually, we would see them on the east or south signs.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 12:24 »
Yesterday, March 21, at just after 6 pm, spotted a bird in the WW area on the wall by the nestbox. We had just finished checking out the area with no sightings, when on the way home... there was a bird. So we turned around and headed back. He/She did jump into the box for less than a minute, and then was back on the wall. We left at 6:15 as we had stuff we needed to do.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 09:47 »
I did confirm ( band # ) Hart was at both the Logan and West Wpg. Perhaps trying to decided on a 2 star or go for the 5 star accommodations...time will tell.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 20:55 »
Just so we are talking about the same birds in the same place ... yes the sightings were at West Winnipeg but they are of Hart so until we know where he is going to settle - or get kicked out of, I'm keeping sightings of him here.  We've had cross-over sightings in previous springs and it has gotten confusing, so I'm trying it this way this time.  ;)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 18:29 »
Great news dupre and great photos also!!  8)