Author Topic: State Capitol - 2015 / 19K & Alley  (Read 20762 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: State Capitol - 2015 / 19K & Alley
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2015, 23:37 »
That chick sure is well fed! :o

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2015, 09:39 »
Oh, that is definitely one of our grand-kids  ;)
You can just tell that little darling is going to be a heartbreaker ;D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2015, 19:48 »

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2015, 15:03 »
What a little cutie!  :-* (But that can be said of every peregrine falcon chick.)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2015, 11:15 »
Oh, that is a nice looking little chick ...  :D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2015, 10:44 »
Alley and 19K's little one this morning.  :-*

Short video~ https://youtu.be/BhKQ5pRb4B8

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2015, 15:44 »
I have been watching this site since 2005, when the cam was first installed ...

That was Alley's first year there ... ah, where does the time fly?  She only had one chick that first year too ...
And that was Pioneer. I wonder whatever happened to him.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2015, 15:43 »
There are two different causes of death which have been reported - heatstroke due to reflected light and "suspected poisoning".  Guess it could have been either - never did hear if a necropsy was done on the chicks and "suspected" would seem to imply never confirmed which in turn would seem to imply no necropsy.

I had not heard about the "suspected poisoning" theory. I had heard that it was extremely hot, and there was no shelter on the ledge for the chicks. I also heard nothing about whether or not a necropsy was done.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2015, 15:06 »
I have been watching this site since 2005, when the cam was first installed ...

That was Alley's first year there ... ah, where does the time fly?  She only had one chick that first year too ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2015, 15:04 »
TPC, do you remember what year that was? I have been watching this site since 2005, when the cam was first installed, and I don't recall chicks being lost at this site for that reason. That did happen at the Woodmen site in the early years, when all four chicks died one year due to excess heat out on the ledge. As a result, a roof was installed on one of the two nest boxes there.

Ah nuts, I got my Nebraskas mixed up.  Funny, I was remembering it was another Manitoba female but didn't even twig it was the wrong the location  :P   It was 1997, and Winnie from (you guessed it) Winnipeg was paired with the famous Zeus at Woodmen in Omaha.  There are two different causes of death which have been reported - heatstroke due to reflected light and "suspected poisoning".  Guess it could have been either - never did hear if a necropsy was done on the chicks and "suspected" would seem to imply never confirmed which in turn would seem to imply no necropsy.

By the way, I was the one who posted the article above.

Nuts squared, sorry Alison, was scrolling and reading quickly before I had to head out.  Thank you to Alison for posting the article  ;) And Alison and RCF for keeping a close eye on this nestsite!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2015, 11:21 »
Alley and her chick a few minutes ago; I think they both look good.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2015, 11:01 »
I'm wondering if anyone was watching to know when the chick was last fed (or when Alley was last seen before becoming trapped)?
It's a good question, burdi. I noticed Joel Jorgensen was wondering the same thing. I saw Alley settled for the night in the nest in the late evening of May 13. Every time I tried to access the site on May 14, Flash crashed instantly, so I never did see either of the birds. Hopefully someone else did.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2015, 10:58 »
Many years ago, chicks died at this site due to the reflection off nearby windows.  My recollection is that they moved the nestbox so it couldn't occur again.

Thanks for posting the story RCF!  Nice to know even really good sites have problem areas and folks watching out just in case.  :)
TPC, do you remember what year that was? I have been watching this site since 2005, when the cam was first installed, and I don't recall chicks being lost at this site for that reason. That did happen at the Woodmen site in the early years, when all four chicks died one year due to excess heat out on the ledge. As a result, a roof was installed on one of the two nest boxes there.

By the way, I was the one who posted the article above.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2015, 10:09 »
Chick was 5 days old when Alley got trapped and the weather conditions were good so I wouldn't have any worries about the chick.  We have had parents leave their chicks for hours in good weather at this age and a bit older even though they can't thermoregulate.  And that nestbox is good, not too much sun at midday.  Many years ago, chicks died at this site due to the reflection off nearby windows.  My recollection is that they moved the nestbox so it couldn't occur again.

Thanks for posting the story RCF!  Nice to know even really good sites have problem areas and folks watching out just in case.  :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2015, 20:59 »

I can only imagine how Alley felt while unable to care for her chick.

It's so nice to see photos of the happy ending. Thank you Alison and RCF.

I'm wondering if anyone was watching to know when the chick was last fed (or when Alley was last seen before becoming trapped)?