Author Topic: UT / Salt Lake City - 2008-2013  (Read 25610 times)

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Salt Lake City - 2009 / ? & ?
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 12:52 »
Hi Kittenface. Have been watching this site for the last month or so. Was just going to check in when I noticed that you had posted. This is exciting, will watch for next hatch. Tks!!

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 10:17 »
WE HAVE OUR FIRST HATCH

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
    • Bird Cams Around the World forum
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 18:26 »
1st egg laid 4/16...looking for egg #2 tonight, I hope...

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
Salt Lake City - 2009 / ? & ?
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 18:10 »
2009 NESTING SEASON

UTAH is up again and someone is home already
http://wildlife.utah.gov/peregrine/

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: Salt Lake City - 2008 / ? & ?
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 20:43 »
Well, I periodically check this web page to see if anything has been added...the following is new, although it still doesn't shed a whole lot of light on what happened..

In addition, the fourth egg appeared to have a hole in it. The dead eyases and the egg were discarded by the adults.

Tests have indicated that the eyases did not die from biological infections. Further tests are still pending for chemical toxins. Environmental factors, like the temperature changes, might also have played a part in their deaths. When we find out more information, we will post it.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 23:22 »
When I was speaking with Brenda at the Elk River Station (Minnesota) she mentionned that it was low 40F Monday night (the chicks hatched Monday) and none of their chicks had problems.  It will be interesting to hear what the necropsies show on the chick(s) and if they were temperature-related deaths.

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 11:55 »
I don't want to second guess the experts, but I watched the first 2 chicks for quite a while ... they were both feisty and moving quite a bit ... holding their little heads up ... "normal" looking stuff...the 3rd chick I only saw right after hatching, and by the time it dried out, it was too dark ... so it was such a shock to tune in the next day and see two missing chicks ... the remaining chick and egg looked ok, but I guess you can only tell so much looking through a cam ... I am glad they were able to recover one of the eyases.  I hope it sheds some light on this tragedy ...

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 11:43 »
I'd be surprised if the cause was the temperature from the information on their website.  Peregrine chicks can't thermoregulate so the parents are in charge of temperature control for the first week, ten days anyway.  And they do know how to keep their chicks warm/cool/dry.  Warmer is actually easier for them to do, basically they sit on them, which is what they are doing anyway right after hatching.  That all three chicks should have died so quickly in the first couple of days, would make me suspicious.  The fourth egg with a hole isn't enough information for me to speculate upon.  Don't get me wrong, it could have been the temperature, don't know enough about the site, the adults or the weather the days in question.  But like Taku last year, the deaths seems so out of character.  It will be very interesting to find out what happened there, hope they do/are able to post the results when they get them.

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 11:20 »
Finally an update posted on the main webpage...I sure do hope they are able to figure out what happened...so sad... :'(

Offline Enraptured

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 19:11 »
This is so sad! It's such a beautiful nesting site and a beautiful location as well as two great camera views! I hope this pair tries to nest again this year.
Thanks for listing so many other webcam sites!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 19:41 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
UT / Salt Lake City - 2008-2013
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 18:07 »
2008 NESTING SEASON

Has live streaming video and two cameras and is located on the Joseph Smith Memorial Building.

Unfortuneatly, the first three eggs hatched and by the time the third hatched the first two chicks had expired.  The moderator of the site was hopeful that the fourth egg would hatch and that they might have two chicks survive this year.

At this time the nest is empty and the adults are gone.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 19:42 by The Peregrine Chick »