Author Topic: Logan - 2013 / Cowboy & Jolicoeur  (Read 36743 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Logan - 2013 / Cowboy & Jolicoeur
« Reply #153 on: November 22, 2013, 19:46 »
Smiley visiting HSC yesterday ?? - birdie sitting up in the Buhler letters at 4:45 ish.
Definitely a mature bird and a male by size. 

Yup that would be our happy bachelor ...

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #152 on: November 22, 2013, 11:13 »
Smiley visiting HSC yesterday ?? - birdie sitting up in the Buhler letters at 4:45 ish.
Definitely a mature bird and a male by size.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2013, 13:33 »
I have not seen any birdies here since Oct 15, but this morning there are 2 birds up in the east facing Buhler letters.  One is definitely a female. I could not get a good look at the other one. He/she was sitting on the letters, but then hopped on down behind them. 

We can be pretty confident about who's come to visit you Birdnut - both Smiley and Joli are still around and we haven't seen any other birds around town.  It's 1326h and he's napping on the nestledge edge right now ...

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2013, 10:42 »
I have not seen any birdies here since Oct 15, but this morning there are 2 birds up in the east facing Buhler letters.  One is definitely a female. I could not get a good look at the other one. He/she was sitting on the letters, but then hopped on down behind them.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #149 on: October 20, 2013, 08:05 »
An unknown bird has been hanging out at HSC...spotters in the area would have thought it was one of the resident birds. It has been confirmed that it's not Cowboy or Joli. Just who it is has not been confirmed. Thoughts of the bird being Beatrix was a possibility...now having looked closely at photos we agree that it's not Beatrix...the question remains, who is this bird ?
You can see for yourself here  http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/this_and_that_2013

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2013, 11:44 »
Birdie here again at 9:30ish this morning on the Buhler letters.
I would guess definitely a male by size.
It had a very bright white breast, so could be Cowboy.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #147 on: October 14, 2013, 15:18 »
Went by HSC with Dennis today and found a bird sitting on the Buhler sign but couldn't tell who it was ... Dennis and Wowzer took photos so we might able to narrow it down if we can get a look at the band or some facial patterns, but we will have to wait and see.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #146 on: October 11, 2013, 15:48 »
My "visitor" was spotted again on the Buhler letters yesterday around 5:30 p.m.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #145 on: October 08, 2013, 21:44 »
A birdie is still about - sitting on the Buhler letters two mornings in a row.
This morning's bird was small like Cowboy(compared to Joli) but, was not as white breasted as Cowboy is.  Another visitor?? 

Could be ... tis the season.  Smiley spends time at HSC in the spring, haven't seen him for awhile, might be him ...

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #144 on: October 08, 2013, 14:49 »
A birdie is still about - sitting on the Buhler letters two mornings in a row.
This morning's bird was small like Cowboy(compared to Joli) but, was not as white breasted as Cowboy is.  Another visitor??

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #143 on: October 02, 2013, 09:26 »
Two birds sitting on the Buhler letters protected from the wind last night at 5:15.

One bird sitting facing the wall this morning.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #142 on: September 28, 2013, 15:15 »
I saw one on the J of the Buhler building yesterday afternoon. I hadn't seen them for a week except to hear some kakking up there last Thursday. I wonder if this rain will drive everyone south...

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #141 on: September 27, 2013, 09:41 »
I swear the birds read this forum...

Wed morning I posted that I had not seen the birds for a week...

Wed evening on my way home, some birdie was chasing 30-40 pigeons from one HSC building to the next.  Didn't seem too interested in catching any one, just having fun chasing them.  It was a very dark bird, so maybe one of the chicks.

Last night, again on my way home, Joli was chasing the pigeons.

This morning, Cowboy is on his favorite perch - on the letters of the Buhler building.

So both of them are still here...for now.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #140 on: September 24, 2013, 16:22 »
When did they fledge? How much younger than the other Manitoba chicks are they?

They were a month behind the Radisson chicks but remember, West Winnipeg was about 10 days after Radisson and Brandon about 10 after that, so these guys were about 10 after that again.  They fledged in August.

In your post you mentioned they were banded, but there was no mention of transmitters. Just wondering, because it has been so nice to hear about where the West Winnipeg and Brandon chicks have been travelling to, even if we have lost one of them.

No transmitters - all the transmitters had been deployed before these guys were old enough - actually may even have been deployed before they were even banded.  Because of the differences in ages, if any of the transmittered birds had gone down during fledging and a transmitter had survived, if we had a Radisson chick or an HSC chick available at the same time or after that, then they would have gotten one too.  Fortunately all our chicks fledged without incident this year, so unfortunately, we don`t know what the HSC or Radisson chicks are up to.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #139 on: September 24, 2013, 13:15 »
Hi TPC, can you give us other information about these chicks? When did they fledge? How much younger than the other Manitoba chicks are they?

In your post you mentioned they were banded, but there was no mention of transmitters. Just wondering, because it has been so nice to hear about where the West Winnipeg and Brandon chicks have been travelling to, even if we have lost one of them.

Anyway, thanks for all your hard work. We really do appreciate it.