Author Topic: ON / Toronto - Apartment Block - 2008-14  (Read 35501 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ON / Toronto - Apartment Block - 2010 / Jack & Milton & Mom
« Reply #262 on: May 31, 2010, 20:44 »
I suspect he's been around all along kinderchick and just by chance he went to his old nest ledge today and Mathew was able to take photos.

The sad thing about all this is that our site gets neglected while he's over there playing 'who's feet are bigger' with Milton.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #261 on: May 31, 2010, 20:39 »
Well, now that Milton's back, this should/could make for some interesting drama again, at this nest site! :o

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #260 on: May 31, 2010, 08:48 »
May 31, 2010 - Milton Makes My Monday Morning!
Posted by Mathew Rossi

This morning I spotted Jack at the nest ledge. En route around the building I also saw a smallish looking falcon (ie non-female) at the old nest ledge, which seemed odd having seen Jack moments ago elsewhere.

Upon returning to the nest ledge, I saw Mom coming in for a quick stop. Jack was still there, half asleep, sunning himself and clearly unaware of any intruder. Mom did a quick bow towards Jack and left again, no alarm calling. She headed towards the old nest ledge.

Checking the old video feed, I saw the same falcon as minutes ago, and immediately figured out what was going on.

I ran up to the old nest ledge, and got lucky, snapping some shots of Milton. I didn't get any band ID but frankly I could recognize Milton in a police lineup, no problem whatsoever. As usual I had my RCAF hat on and it seems Milton got a good look at me too. Remember me buddy? ;)

As you can see from the photos, Milton is looking quite rejuvenated compared to a few weeks ago when he was described by Kathy as resembling a "feather duster".

So, Milton is alive and well, looks healthier than when we last saw him, and has apparently not given up on taking back his territory and mate. Do you hear that Jack? Eh? Milton seems to be biding his time and perhaps wondering what's going on. Mom may be wondering too.

I can't think of a cooler update to post today, so there you have it. I'm so happy to see Milton!!!

Please keep this new development in mind and let me know if you spot any territorial disputes or other strange activity. If you think you're looking at Milton, he has a black and green band on one leg.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #259 on: May 20, 2010, 11:57 »
Looks like he's the father of six now!!
WOW! Now that's alot of mouths to feed! :o

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #258 on: May 20, 2010, 05:19 »
Mathew has a new post and photos of mom and the new kids on the block...congratulations TR Mom and Jack (again!).  Looks like he's the father of six now!!

http://www.asic.ca/peregrinefalcons/

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #257 on: May 16, 2010, 14:09 »
Thanks, Carly, for the recap of the the two areas, including the interconnections. 
You should get on "As It Happens" with the Toronto version of "Guiding Flight!" 
Yes you should, carly! I agree with bcbird! ;)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #256 on: May 15, 2010, 21:19 »
Thanks, Carly, for the recap of the the two areas, including the interconnections. 
You should get on "As It Happens" with the Toronto version of "Guiding Flight!" 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #255 on: May 15, 2010, 20:43 »
OMG!:o Thanks, carly! No wonder I was getting confused! Jack & Milton get "around"!  :o And I thought we had a soap opera here in Winnipeg! ;) Now how is Jack going to manage feeding all of those chicks at both sites?! :o

Well he's doing ok so far as they are still small and don't eat a lot yet.  Once the chicks are past the critical 10 day mark then the females can leave the chicks and hunt in the area to supplement the food supply.  As they are larger they tend to bring in bigger prey.  Both sites have ample pigeons and various other birds right by the nest sites so the females won't have to go far and risk leaving the babies out of visual range.  I expect it won't be easy though and perhaps that is when the females will have had enough of sharing Jack. 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #254 on: May 15, 2010, 20:38 »
OMG!:o Thanks, carly! No wonder I was getting confused! Jack & Milton get "around"!  :o And I thought we had a soap opera here in Winnipeg! ;) Now how is Jack going to manage feeding all of those chicks at both sites?! :o

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #253 on: May 15, 2010, 20:28 »
Sorry, TPC, I was confusing these with Jack & Angel on the Sun Life Building. And I thought there was a Milton over there too.  ::)

Milton was at our site too Kinderchick, it's very confusing I agree!!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #252 on: May 15, 2010, 20:27 »
Is the mom at this site called "Angel"?  :-\

Angel is the mom at my Bloor/Islington site, jack's other home.  The territories are adjacent to each other.

So Jack & Angel - Bloor/Islington Etobicoke.

Last year - Milton & TR Mom - Private Residence Etobicoke.  

Milton was injured last year and spent 11 months in rehab and was just released a week ago.  While he was gone, Jack went over and romanced TR Mom and is now the resident male at 2 sites.  Milton and Jack fought a bit last weekend but no serious injury and Jack is still in control of the territory but Milton seems to be meeting TR Mom on the sly :

So now it's Jack & Milton & TR Mom - Private Residence Etobicoke
and still Jack & Angel - Bloor/Islington Etobicoke.

It's like a falcon soap opera I'm afraid and probably won't end well but it's out of our control now.  Just hope for the best and prepare for the worst.  There are eyases at both sites now, 3 at Islington and we dont' know how many at the other site yet but she usually throws 3 as well.  So Jack is potentially father to 6 eyases now!!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 20:30 by carly »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #251 on: May 15, 2010, 20:25 »
Sorry, TPC, I was confusing these with Jack & Angel on the Sun Life Building. And I thought there was a Milton over there too.  ::)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #250 on: May 15, 2010, 18:12 »
Is the mom at this site called "Angel"?  :-\

Names of the resident pairs are in the subject line Kinderchick ... that is if we know who they are ...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #249 on: May 15, 2010, 17:13 »
Is the mom at this site called "Angel"?  :-\

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #248 on: May 14, 2010, 21:09 »
Geez, and folks think we have "swinging peregrines"!!  :o