Author Topic: ON / Toronto - Apartment Block - 2008-14  (Read 53704 times)

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
Re: ON / Toronto - Apartment Block - 2009 / Jack & Mom
« Reply #157 on: June 02, 2009, 12:58 »
Mom was back on the ledge looking upset and took off.  The chicks look like they are still napping.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #156 on: June 02, 2009, 12:29 »
If the banding goes ahead here it should be happening shortly.  At the moment the kids are napping on the ledge.  Little do they know that they may have visitors soon.  ::)

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #155 on: June 02, 2009, 10:20 »
what a handsome boy he is!  sending wishes for a speedy recovery. :-*  and hugs and kisses to his rescuer(s).  good deeds all around.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #154 on: June 02, 2009, 10:04 »
I should also mention that it looks like he tangled with a hawk and not another falcon as was originally suspected.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #153 on: June 02, 2009, 10:02 »
There is a brief update and photo of dad on the CPF site today.  Dad is being assessed right now and is in good care.  The picture of him looks good..he's not at deaths' door which is good.  I'm hoping that his wing is fixable..talons crossed.  Will let you know if I hear anything.

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2009/06/sightings/etobicoke-ontario-injuried-adult-male-peregrine-black-4-over-green-b-rescued/

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #152 on: June 01, 2009, 20:46 »
carly, sorry to nudge you because I know you have your fingers in a lot of pies!, but any news on dad?  Just a brief response requested.  :)

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #151 on: June 01, 2009, 09:01 »
There was just a long feeding with more than enough food for the huge chicks.  It looks like the mom here is able to keep up with the feeding on her own.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2009, 08:55 »
Those chicks look huge.  :o  They have been moving around the ledge for a while now, in and out of the shade.  Mom has been perched on the edge preening.  Now something has captured her attention and she has moved to the other end of the ledge.  She looks interested but not upset, so perhaps potential second breakfast going by.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #149 on: May 30, 2009, 08:16 »
No word on the male's condition yet but Mathew is receiving local reports that there may have been a territorial dispute..not confirmed yet though.  If there is a new male around though, may explain why mom keeps coming in with so much food.  Either they had a huge cache already and she's drawing from it, she's an extraordindary hunter or the new guy is trying to win mom over with food!

I'm hoping it's a new male, not to write off dad but it would be nice if she had help.  Only time will tell...but so far no reports a new male around since the altercation.

The female is doing an excellent job though, she's there right now watching over them and earlier they had a huge feeding.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #148 on: May 29, 2009, 20:31 »
I'm glad Mom is feeding herself and chicks...very sad and sorry to hear about her mate though.  I do hope he will be okay.  I'm also very happy that the chicks are old enough to be on their own but this will be hard for mom to keep up so good news that the project will step in if need be.  Again...hope the male isn't badly hurt so he can return to where he belongs!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2009, 16:24 »
5:23 pm and mom is in with dinner.  Holy big catch!  She's feeding herself atm as well as doing food prep..go mom!

Spoke to Mathew via post and the MNR is involved now so they will all look after the family and step in should the need arise!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #146 on: May 29, 2009, 15:49 »
Ok home now so I can see these guys, wow big kids!!  They are scheduled for banding on Tuesday apparently.  They are quite active and healthy looking and obviously closer to 3 weeks old so that's good.  It's too bad the 3 males from last year didn't make it, would have been nice to have 1 around now to help out. 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #145 on: May 29, 2009, 12:11 »
Mathew added more info:

Some additional info has been received - in the late afternoon Wed May 27th some sort of alarm calling and stooping/dives were witnessed in the roof area or above the building.

Wonder if he hurt himself trying to go after an intruder pest or if it was territorial dispute... 

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #144 on: May 29, 2009, 12:02 »
1202 hrs (Winnipeg) - chicks are tucked into corner on the right of screen.  Not an adults in sight ...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 11:45 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #143 on: May 29, 2009, 11:58 »
This cam is blocked for me at work..grrrr. Wish I knew what he meant by her 'behaviour' witnessed on the ledge.  I've emailed Frank to see if he knows what's going on.