Author Topic: ON / Toronto - Apartment Block - 2008-14  (Read 53685 times)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ON / Toronto - Apartment Block - 2009 / Jack & Mom
« Reply #187 on: June 10, 2009, 20:28 »
Let's hope this female moves on as well Carly......I have everything crossed for the male to recover!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #186 on: June 10, 2009, 20:19 »
Haven't seen anything posted on the male this week but I expect shattered bones take awhile to heal.  I hope the other female is just passing through, maybe if she sees there is no male..she'll move on. 

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #185 on: June 10, 2009, 20:00 »
Oh...I hate this! 
I hope the Mom can defend her territory without any injuries to her and her babies....
Any news on her mate?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #184 on: June 10, 2009, 09:56 »
More trouble for mom possibly  :(

This update is based on a few sources of information.

As early as Saturday a second Peregrine has been observed on site. Aerial maneuvers, possibly combative, were witnessed over the nearby greenspace, both falcons were said to be equal in size so it may be a second female in the vicinity.

Sunday this new adult was again spotted at various locations around the building including at the nest ledge. Our resident female was spotted chasing the intruder off the ledge.

As of Monday our resident "Mom" continues to feed the young, sometimes only dropping off food chunks and letting the young feed themselves. She has been observed storing remaining food in a nearby cache.

The MNR has advised that this may be a new female showing an interest in the nest site and testing our female's dominance.

Since Monday no reports of the intruder have been received. No details regarding any possible leg bands on the intruder were received. The video remains troublesome, will hopefully be resolved in the next few days.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #183 on: June 07, 2009, 15:00 »
Glad he is doing well..alert and eating like a pig but the unfortunate thing is that it sounds like it's a bad break on his wing.  I do hope that he will recover from his injuries and hope that his rehab will go well!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #182 on: June 06, 2009, 18:24 »
No worries TPC - honestly the description was waaaaaaaaay over my head but the word 'shattered' to describe a bone doesn't sound promising. :(

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #181 on: June 05, 2009, 21:44 »
Still don't know how low (close to the wingtip) the break is - needs to heal strong enough to support weigh and tolerate the kind of pressure a peregrine's flying/hunting style requires.  I'm not being negative folks, just giving you a heads up that even if it does heal well, it is very likely it won't heal well enough for him to be re-released ...

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #180 on: June 05, 2009, 21:06 »
Cool news, carly!  He's healthy, and that's the most important thing!  I just hope the pig doesn't get fat! LOL 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #179 on: June 05, 2009, 20:04 »
Update on the resident male's condition from Mathew:

When we first examined him we discovered he has a carpometacarpal bone fracture and it appeared to be broken in several spots. There were two openings both dorsally and ventrally where the bones have punctured through. So, we cleaned up his wing and bandaged it up so he wouldn’t move it and then took him to the vets the next day for and x-ray. The x-ray showed that his carpometacarpal bone on his left wing was in fact shattered but with the bandaging it was in relatively straight in alignment. Our biggest concern at the present time is to make sure that the wound site does not become infected and it’s so far so good. We have him on antibiotics and some pain medication to make him more comfortable. So unfortunately for now it’s just a waiting game to see how everything heals. I know that all of this information doesn’t sound all that great but on the bright side, the peregrine himself is doing quite well. He’s very bright and alert and eats like a pig!

...he is going to be out for the rest of the season at least. Unfortunately I can’t give you a definite answer as to whether or not the wing will fully recover as these kinds of injuries are difficult to assess and it is a little too soon to tell at this time, but we are doing everything we can.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #178 on: June 02, 2009, 20:39 »
Oh here we go...Woo Hoo!!!  2 Males here..okay, now we just need a lot more!  Come on Princess and Trey..males please, and Transmitter Girl & Beau (I think I got that right) , and Radisson &  Damon!!!  We need Tiercels!!!

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #177 on: June 02, 2009, 20:02 »
I think TPC posted that info.. somewhere in here......   ::)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #176 on: June 02, 2009, 19:51 »
Same question here about the numbers on the band.  The males seem to carry on in sequence from the other site banded today (32, 33, and 34) but the female is quite different. What does it all mean?????

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #175 on: June 02, 2009, 15:41 »
Yes I'm home now..yay..doing laundry and catching up on what I missed!

4PM - Banding update:

Three young were banded as follows:
1. "Master Casper" - Male, 635 grams, 18 days, band 35Y, blue tape.
2. "Master Byron" - Male, 611 grams, 21 days, band 36Y, white tape.
3. "Ms. Marla" - Female, 889 grams, 22 days, band 15X, red tape.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #174 on: June 02, 2009, 15:38 »
Matthew Rossi has provided an update on the banding now and it appears that everything went very well. 2 boys and 1 girl this year  :-*

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #173 on: June 02, 2009, 14:15 »
There was a message that the feed is being shut down temporarily so no more viewing for a while.  :P