Author Topic: Out-n-About in Manitoba - 2020  (Read 29022 times)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Out-n-About in Manitoba - 2013
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 19:31 »
Yep !
Just not the one in "Pink"...lol

Ha Ha!!   ;D

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 19:29 »
Yep !
Just not the one in "Pink"...lol

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 19:25 »
Will say that "Mr.X" is a good looking bird...aren't they all ???

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/this_and_that_2013

Are they the last four bird photos in that gallery.  ???
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 19:27 by RCF »

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 19:21 »
Will say that "Mr.X" is a good looking bird...aren't they all ???

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/this_and_that_2013

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 15:10 »
Must be a default for the red colouring to come off.  ???

Apparently it has happened a few other times and I'm afraid I don't know if they have sorted the problem out since then or if its a recent problem.  A peregrine friend of mine out east has seen a couple and suggested who I should be talking to south of the border. With one digit we can read it helps to narrow it down, but we need a bit more information to seal the deal  ;) 

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 14:51 »
Must be a default for the red colouring to come off.  ???
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 14:59 by RCF »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 11:02 »
Okay, bit of an update on the band on one of the birds we spotted in Portage on our travels.

Apparently it is a black/red band from the US Midwest, no idea who yet though.  The mystery was that the red on the bottom half of the band had entirely come off - by that I mean perfectly came off, the whole bottom half of the band is virtually silver.  Not scraped, no scratches, no bits of red here and there, all gone right back to the rivets!  Had us stumped.  New mystery now is that we can see the digit on the top half of the band in Dennis' photos but not a thing on the bottom half!!  According to my contacts in the Midwest who know about these bands, if we can get another look at this bird (there's a BIG if), we will need to rely on either seeing the impression of the digit on the bottom OR hope we can see a couple of digits on the USFWS/CWS aluminium band which might be even harder!  Both are embossed numbers and the latter are much much smaller! 

We'll let you know what we see IF we get another opportunity to see this bird's band  ::)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 10:25 »
How late would be too late for PF's to begin laying eggs in this neck of the woods, TPC? ???

We are about there now - remember 90 days from start to finish = 7 days to lay, 30-35 days of incubation, 35-45 days until fledging.  Add to that another 10+ to all get flying safely then a month to be independent and hunting on their own well enough to migrate ...

So if they were to start incubating say July 1 - hatch beginning of August, fledge middle to late September and then hope for good weather in October so they have time to get their wings under them ...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 22:07 »
How late would be too late for PF's to begin laying eggs in this neck of the woods, TPC? ???

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 16:41 »
Dennis and I and Dr Bob wandered about the Portage area looking for the peregrines we saw a few weeks ago, but we only found one - the banded one, so the male.  We couldn't see the female and couldn't see or hear her at what could be a nestsite and he wasn't talking to her so we aren't sure if perhaps it was just a spring fling ... we'll keep watching however just in case they are late-starters.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 11:05 »
Just got another report about a/the peregrines in/near Portage ... not sure if it is the same pair or just floaters.  Hope to check out soon ...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 09:10 »
PF's spotted canoodling in Portage la Prairie! That's great news! Let's hope they stick around. :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Out-n-About in Manitoba - 2020
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 22:34 »
2013 SIGHTINGS

Not sure yet if this will be a nest site or if the birds will use it like they usually do, as a place to hunt and rest/relax from.  If they do decide to nest, we'll track them down and I'll move this thread to its own board like the other Manitoba nest sites.

Anywho, male and female, canoodling.  Again, looks like a banded bird and an unbanded bird.  Sorry, don't at this moment remember which had the bling.  Might have a partial band number to work with but we will let Dennis do his voodoo before getting too far ahead of ourselves.

More news about this pair, or if they have moved on as I get it!