Author Topic: Tower Nest - 2013 / ? & ?  (Read 26333 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Tower Nest - 2013 / ? & ?
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2013, 22:06 »
On our way back to Portage and Winnipeg we stopped by the Brandon Tower site and found the male on the top of fhe toer and the female on the raven's nest.  Sbe hopped across to the south tower and started calling in what sounded like a begging call more than a defensive or protest call. Male hopped off his perch circled a couple of times then took off.  Dennis got photos of Lily (and yes it was Lily) and maybe a couple of the male before he bolted - we'd like to have enough that show facial and breast patterns so we have a hope of identfying him in the future.

And to answer the million dollar question, no there are no eggs or chicks in the raven's nest where we found Lily.  Nice nest though it has been polished smooth into a beautiful bowl - next best thing to a scrape but no eggs or chicks as I said.  Lily is still very brown (carrying part of her immature plumage) so I would think of this as confirmation that she is still a bit too young to  breed but staying here a summer with a male/mate is a good sign for next year!!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2013, 23:31 »
She was in the ravens nest on June 14th doing the same thing.  She looked like she could have been laying eggs just from her stance in the nest even from far away (w/binos). This is just my opinion but because so much time has passed I don't think she was laying an egg today.  Besides today, I have only seen her close to the nest and not in it since the 14th.

http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/projects/pfrp/forum/programs/index.php/topic,3376.msg93481.html#msg93481

You would have a better sense of it RCF since you were watching her! Would have been nice though.  Will be nicer still if she returns next year when she is older particularly if she nests a wee bit earlier in the season so that her kids have more time to practice everything before the start of migration ... so if she's practising at playing "house", more power to her and to him!

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2013, 23:25 »
She was in the ravens nest on June 14th doing the same thing.  She looked like she could have been laying eggs just from her stance in the nest even from far away (w/binos). This is just my opinion but because so much time has passed I don't think she was laying an egg today.  Besides today, I have only seen her close to the nest and not in it since the 14th.

http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/projects/pfrp/forum/programs/index.php/topic,3376.msg93481.html#msg93481

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2013, 22:52 »
We went and checked on these two this evening, they are both still here.  Lily was half lying down in the ravens nest and kakking just like a juvenile wanting to be fed.   ::)  The mister was perched on the security cam and then they both flew off to the south west.  It was a short visit.

That might be a good sign RCF, she could be laying eggs ... it is usual for the adults to leave after laying the first or second eggs ... or it could just be that she is still young and begging for food from her mate, also not unusual behaviour ... fingers crossed for option 1 though ...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2013, 22:31 »
I didn't think they were lost, RCF. Sorry for the misunderstanding.  :-[ Just thought maybe you hadn't seen them around for a while. And I thought maybe you were only seeing Lily these days. :-\

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2013, 22:26 »
So great to hear that you were able to locate these two today, RCF & Rose!; :D

I don't think they were lost. We have been seeing them, but hadn't posted about it until tonight.  ;)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2013, 22:23 »
So great to hear that you were able to locate these two today, RCF & Rose!  :D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2013, 22:16 »
We went and checked on these two this evening, they are both still here.  Lily was half lying down in the ravens nest and kakking just like a juvenile wanting to be fed.   ::)  The mister was perched on the security cam and then they both flew off to the south west.  It was a short visit.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2013, 14:30 »
We saw both peregrines today on the north stack, they were on opposite sides of the top catwalk.  If they were nesting, I don't think they are now.  It also looks like Lily still has something wrapped around the transmitter aerial.  ::) :(

Male

Lily

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 15:03 by RCF »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2013, 22:14 »
Thanks RCF. :-* I forgot about that. ::)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2013, 21:15 »
Is Lily the PF with the transmitter? :-\

Yes  ;)

We saw the transmitter female who has been named "Lily" by the Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project.  She was named in honor of the Neepawa Lily Festival.  She is a captive bred bird hacked/released from Neepawa in 2011. 

http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/projects/pfrp/forum/programs/index.php/topic,3376.msg93084.html#msg93084

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2013, 20:37 »
Is Lily the PF with the transmitter? :-\

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2013, 20:04 »
Only saw the one falcon today, it was sitting on the far east side of the top catwalk on the south stack. I think it was Lily but way to far away to tell for sure.....only saw the front of the bird.  If you didn't know where to look you would never see it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 20:07 by RCF »

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2013, 06:51 »
This will perhaps give you some idea of the depth of the nest. http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/image/150118258

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2013, 10:20 »
If anyone is wondering about the depth of the Raven's nest you can scroll up this page to reply #80 . Lily is standing or half standing in the nest in the first three photos and in the last one she seems to be lying down and only a small part of her tail is showing. When the Raven was incubating you couldn't see her unless she put her head up.