Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2013 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 95780 times)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
McKenzie Seeds - 2013 / September
« Reply #757 on: September 16, 2013, 18:02 »
6:45 am
Well, I saw three peregrines this morning, Hurricane was on the green post on the mts tower, Brooklyn was perched on the east ledge of the nest box and one chick was sitting on the west light of the clock tower.  So, there is still one chick hanging around.  After work I only saw Brooklyn and Hurricane on the louvered ledges of the Scotia building, no kids.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #756 on: September 14, 2013, 20:56 »
I have only been seeing Brooklyn and Hurricane since September 9th, haven't seen any chicks since I saw Bogart that day. The chicks could still be around, I just haven't seen them.

Your observations of them are our most recent RCF, I haven't had any updates on their whereabouts via their transmitters since I last posted.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #755 on: September 14, 2013, 20:53 »
I have only been seeing Brooklyn and Hurricane since September 9th, haven't seen any chicks since I saw Bogart that day. The chicks could still be around, I just haven't seen them.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #754 on: September 14, 2013, 19:39 »
Bccs asked about when we will be able to post the Brandon banding video - the answer is I'm not sure.  CBC wasn't able to do the conversion from tape to digital for us - we had the same problem last year but I hoped we'd solved it. No such luck.  Eye-Spy offered to convert if for us but when I received the dvd (its a very big file), the video was unreadable, so we are at a bit of an impasse.  If I can get it converted, I will post to our YouTube channel.

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #753 on: September 12, 2013, 19:43 »
I happen to be in Brandon right now and was driving over the 8th St bridge late yesterday (Sept. 11) afternoon.  Somebirdie was hanging out on the light on the east side of the clock tower.  As I was driving and don't have my binos with me I couldn't tell you who it was.  It was a real treat for me to see a Peregrine as I haven't seen many in Alberta.  :D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #752 on: September 09, 2013, 19:52 »
How great that you're still seeing Hurricane, Brooklyn & Bogart, RCF!  8)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #751 on: September 09, 2013, 18:48 »
I saw Hurricane and Brooklyn and one of the chicks today, it was Bogart.  He was on one of the louvered ledges of the Scotia building, Brooklyn was also perched up there. Hurricane was on the west side McKenzie roof, sitting in the gutter until Bogart chased her off.  He did a lot of yelling, I think he was begging for food but was being ignored by his parents.  ::)  :-X

Bogart

Hurricane
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 13:00 by RCF »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #750 on: September 07, 2013, 19:00 »
I only saw Brooklyn and Hurricane today, no kids.

Hurricane

Brooklyn has that lovely salmon colour wash on his breast.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:59 by RCF »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #749 on: September 06, 2013, 16:22 »
There were three peregrines at the McKenzie building this morning (6:45am).   :)   It was light enough to see so it was Brooklyn, Hurricane and the one kid, so there is at least one chick still hanging around. I saw one chick on the louvered ledge of the Scotia building after work (2:40pm).

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #748 on: September 05, 2013, 18:27 »
I have only been seeing Brooklyn and Hurricane for the last few days, so I don't know if the chicks are still around or off wandering somewhere.  I'll check on the weekend to see if they are around.  :)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
Re: McKenzie Seeds - 2013 / August
« Reply #747 on: August 31, 2013, 16:52 »
I didn't see Hurricane but I saw Spencer and Brooklyn today.  Spencer was eating on the north edge of the McKenzie roof and Brooklyn was perched on the Scotia building. I also watched seven Sandhill Cranes fly over the McKenzie building......there were five and then two stragglers.  8)

Spencer

Brooklyn

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 16:53 by RCF »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #746 on: August 31, 2013, 14:48 »
1447h

Looks like Hurricane perched on the east edge of the nestbox.  According to Environment Canada there is a light rain shower in Brandon but right now and it looks like rain in the background on the camera but can't see any "wet" on the box itself.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #745 on: August 29, 2013, 17:02 »
6:40am

Two chicks were chasing a parent, couldn't tell which parent as it was too dark and it was cloudy. The parent perched and the two chicks lit on the mts tower for a few minutes yelling their displeasure at Mom or Dad . Then both kids were chasing a pigeon that had been on the mts building, one chick made contact but the pigeon is a fast flyer too.  I had to leave to go to work so I hope they caught their breakfast.  I didn't see any of them after work.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #744 on: August 28, 2013, 17:37 »
I only saw Hurricane today, first thing this morning on the east light, then on the louvered ledge of the Scotia building after work.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #743 on: August 26, 2013, 22:58 »
RCF pointed out that I missed posting this sighting on the Forum as well as on Twitter ... IBrooklyn was on the nestbox this morning, just sitting in the sun.  Hurricane arrived and they did their usual (at this time of year) bowing to one another for about 30-40 seconds, then he left and she had a little scrape in the back of the nestbox and then she too bolted from the box.  Same kind of thing has been happening at the Radisson and I daresay in West Winnipeg as well now that all the kids are doing exploring.  Reminds me of empty-nester parents redecorating their kid's room after he/she heads off to college or a new job or a new apartment.