Author Topic: Logan - 2013 / Cowboy & Jolicoeur  (Read 36765 times)

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: Logan - 2013 / Cowboy & Jolicoeur
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2013, 17:45 »
Candoodling go on at 4:00. She was sitting on one of the letters and he did not stay very long.
Lots of vocalizing and then he flew off to the north.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2013, 10:34 »
Canoodling and crow chasing going on at HSC this morning.
Looks like the crows are nesting in the Christmas tree across the street from the Buhler building again this year. 

Cowboy used to love chasing those darn crows ... scared the pants off Dennis and I when he used to fly at car roof height!!

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2013, 09:57 »
Thanks for this very informative answer, TPC. Always new things to learn.

I'll echo Kinderchick's "thanks", TPC. Now that we don't have a kindergarten class submitting their questions to you, I guess the rest of us will have to actually ask the questions that we've always waited for the kids to ask! I always look forward to your detailed and easy-to-understand answers.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2013, 09:26 »
Canoodling and crow chasing going on at HSC this morning.
Looks like the crows are nesting in the Christmas tree across the street from the Buhler building again this year. 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2013, 10:01 »
I have been wondering, since there seems to be a lot of canoodling going on between various peregrine falcons at this site, (can't keep up with who's with who anymore), is there a nestbox over in this area, TPC, should eggs be laid? ???
No there isn't a nestbox because the site is too close to the Radisson and there really isn't any appropriate locations...If there is a pair here, we will keep an eye on them and see what they do.  "Floaters" are a common and very important part of a peregrine population, so just because they aren't nesting doesn't mean they aren't important for the species' long-term survival. 

Thanks for this very informative answer, TPC. Always new things to learn. I didn't realize that the HSC site is too close to the Radisson. I also didn't have a complete  understanding of "floaters" in the peregrine population, but now I do. Thanks! :-*

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2013, 09:32 »
Two birds spent most of yesterday here.  Various staff are watching and they were both birds were spotted in the morning, at lunch time and supper time and then again at 7:30 p.m.  They were sitting either on the letters or on the rooftop.

This morning (9:10) one bird was sitting on the "H" again.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2013, 09:26 »
I have been wondering, since there seems to be a lot of canoodling going on between various peregrine falcons at this site, (can't keep up with who's with who anymore), is there a nestbox over in this area, TPC, should eggs be laid? ???

No there isn't a nestbox because the site is too close to the Radisson and there really isn't any appropriate locations.  Cowboy and Kate tried nesting but broke one egg at least at the site they chose and the abandoned their other egg.  Last year Cowboy and Joli didn't even try nesting, but Joli was a borderline too young.  This year, IF Joli isn't the female with Ivy and IF Smiley and Joli are still together (we haven't seen him for a week) then we will have to hope they find one of the other nestboxes around town or they find another place and we can maybe help them out a bit.  HSC/CSC is really too close to make nesting here successful, but it is a very popular place to roost (protected, in the sun, good sightlines) and it is on the way to where the peregrines like to hunt pigeons particularly in the spring before other eats come home or when there are lots of hungry mouths wanting food now.

If there is a pair here, we will keep an eye on them and see what they do.  "Floaters" are a common and very important part of a peregrine population, so just because they aren't nesting doesn't mean they aren't important for the species' long-term survival. 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2013, 19:27 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2013, 15:07 »
I can hear the conversation going on....Smiley to Joli.

Not sure that Smiley is around any more ... last sighting we  have of him (confirmed) was on April 16th ... and now that the spy-cam is back up and operating I have seen Ivy and Joli on the east side of the building which is more than I have seen them at the same time on the west side of the building ... (see the Radisson thread for the rest of this ...)

We are still keeping an eye out for Smiley but it maybe that Smiley is off "smiling" somewhere else ...

Offline transplanted maple

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2013, 13:44 »
That is so funny, Birdnut...

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2013, 11:19 »
At 9:25 this morning, both birds were on the east facing letters, each on a "H."
Both were facing the wall.

I can hear the conversation going on....Smiley to Joli.

"I am so embrassed; I will not show my face.  You said this was a great place to have kids and raise a family.  Here to kids will just freeze to death. All I see is snow, snow and more snow.  Now I heard over the air waves, there is more coming tomorrow and Wednesday.  Why did I ever listen to you?"

"Who knew? You should have been here last year. I picked the "H" this morning for a reason."

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2013, 18:33 »
Will say...a sudden stalling of my truck and a quick look through the b-nocks while I looked under the hood did show a speckled breast (Joli) rather than Smiley perched on the East side letters.
Don't know what happened...but then the truck started up and every thing seemed fine  ;)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2013, 18:15 »
Sorry no photos at HSC  :-[...I was on a short time line and needed to do things for "Mrs.Photosbydennis" before heading to the hockey game with Jr.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2013, 13:29 »
Dennis was out solo checking sites today and he found just one bird at HSC today, but I'm afraid I don't know which bird he thinks it was - both Joli and Smiley are similar in size ... we will just have to see what Wowzer might have seen ...

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2013, 09:26 »
Birdie sitting up on the corner of the Buhler rooftop again this morning.
From Dennis's pictures, that is Smiley's favourite spot.

No sign of Joli.