Author Topic: Little Owl - Netherlands / Beleef de Lente  (Read 14479 times)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Little Owl - Netherlands / Beleef de Lente
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2015, 12:42 »
Some screen captures from yesterday.

The first is a chick pile, and the second is one of the adults has just arrived to feed them. They have done a lot of growing.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2015, 22:15 »
I have been watching this multi-cam site for quite some time.
These little screech owls are so cute and a hoot ( ;D) to watch!

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2015, 12:47 »
Here are the three of them

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2015, 12:59 »
There are currently chicks at this location. There had been four, but on June 7th one of the chicks died.

http://www.beleefdelente.nl/vogel/steenuil/weblog/400
Interesting video on June 7th, where the mother removes the dead chick, putting it next to the exit. When the father comes with prey, as he is about to leave he notices the dead chick and returns it to the mother.  This was then repeated with the mother removing the chick and putting it next to the exit and the father, after delivering a meal goes to exit, backs back into the box and returns the dead chick to the mother. The third time the mother moves the chick to the back of the box.

Okay, the link does not take you to the video, it takes you to the website. Look for the June 7 video "Een kuuk dood" (A chick death).

You may not want to watch the June 8 video "Toch nog nut" (Still useful) as the dead chick becomes food for its siblings.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 13:05 by dupre501 »

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2015, 16:00 »
There is a new nest box at this location and a pair of little owls are defending the site.

If you check out the video on April 5 it shows one of the owls chasing off a kestral.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Little Owl - Netherlands / Beleef de Lente (2012)
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2012, 08:32 »
This was my first season watching these cams and I'm looking forward to watching next year.  I sure hope that Pa and the next little owl who comes along (is it ever the same one?) both have better experiences!

They only know that they are the same owls year-to-year if they are banded. Neither the male or female were banded this year. If I recall correctly, only one of last year's pair was banded. They think the female this year was young and perhaps having her first clutch of eggs. She was clumsy with the eggs and chick, and had irregular incubation at first. I guess there could have been other factors at play too. There is never a short supply of other birds vying for this nest-box and creating a lot of stress, which is why they closed down the opening to the "hallway" this year.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2012, 16:19 »
Translation from Dutch

first observation - posted by: Ronald STONE / date: June 25, 2012, 8:03 p.m.

A first observation of the dead young learned that apart from a stiff leg more was going on. The condition that the gap in the first 3 days, the rose can not catch up. Far from even. The first impression it made was that it definitely does not look like a young 30 days old. It looked much younger.

weight - At home I have the young directly on the scales. It weighed only 73, 9 grams where the expected weight at that age around the 145 grams. A young 9 days weighs around 75 grams, which for comparison.

wing - The wing length was significantly behind. At an age of 30 days, measuring a wing normally between 124 and 126 millimeters. Measurement at this young yielded only a meager 53 mm at a normal size for a youngster of 14 days.

condition - With the aid of the age and weight, we can calculate the condition index. When a young, which is in good condition fluctuates around the one (margin 10%). The calculation for this young comes out at 0.5. Thus there is a very poor structural condition and growth retardation. What we all images on basis of suspicion, now confirmed, this young was in such bad condition that it is never on our own cabinet would have to leave, let alone outside the cabinet could survive.

further research - These are just the bare facts. Further research might learn the cause of the poor condition. The prey supply in recent weeks can not lie, that was enough for the young to feed. Once we know more we bring you up to date.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2012, 22:29 »
Aw... so sorry to hear about this little guy. :'(

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2012, 21:41 »
Yes it did look uncomfortable and difficult for the little guy, he could hardly stand up. I was really hoping for this little guy. Beleef de Lente has been a real downer this year on multiple cams. I've found it hard, this is my favorite site :'(

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2012, 20:32 »
Just went and had a glimpse at the cam....guess from what I can see, the little one just wasn't strong enough.  Appears to have died.  Perhaps best as I'm sure that injured leg was probably quite painful. 

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2012, 20:08 »
I saw the mother go into the nest today with food and the it appeared alive to me...so, not sure what's going on.
Thought they were going to intervene and not let the little one starve and euthanize it.

I guess we'll find out sooner than later....tis nature's way.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2012, 19:37 »
Oh that's too bad.  Poor little thing indeed :'(

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2012, 19:32 »
It looks like the parents stopped feeding the injured chick. It has been very quiet for a long period and they think it is deceased. Too bad, poor little thing. I guess it was inevitable.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2012, 23:27 »
There is a growing amount of food being left in the hallway.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2012, 14:31 »
I noticed that he did lots of lying on his back and kicking his little legs, but I haven't seen these owl babies before, so didn't realize that it was abnormal.