Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2009 / Ivy & Jules  (Read 82300 times)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
West Winnipeg - 2009 / May
« Reply #292 on: May 19, 2009, 20:11 »
Will be adding to the "West-end Birds" soon...I'm sure TPC wants to get her "claws" on these...lol
These photos come from a different vantage point and this maybe the best location for me ??
Still excited about Trey & Princess on the East Side...don't know how that will unfold...photo wise ?? Nice to know that I have "two" contacts across the street. Thanks GUY'S... :)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #291 on: May 19, 2009, 19:43 »
You must have been ready to tear your hair out over this one.  :)

Nah, just bugged the heck out of Larry & Dennis

They ignored me nicely ... ;D

And it's at this point I step out for some fresh air...or snap some photos. Leavening Larry to deal with the questions... ;D

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #290 on: May 19, 2009, 12:01 »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #289 on: May 19, 2009, 12:00 »
Great, thank you.  I have to admit that I was really confused and was going to go back through the posts to see how they went from 3 to 1 egg. 
Winnipeg math ;D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #288 on: May 19, 2009, 11:58 »
You must have been ready to tear your hair out over this one.  :)

Nah, just bugged the heck out of Larry & Dennis while we were doing the tech ... Is it ready yet? huh, huh. Can I look at it now? What does this know do?  Can we make it bigger? smaller? Purple?

They ignored me nicely ... ;D

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #287 on: May 19, 2009, 11:54 »
Great, thank you.  I have to admit that I was really confused and was going to go back through the posts to see how they went from 3 to 1 egg.  It would be wonderful if both hatched. And glad that you put up that privacy screen.  I really wonder why they have chosen a location with such an incredible number of potential distractions.  You must have been ready to tear your hair out over this one.  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #286 on: May 19, 2009, 11:47 »
Sorry folks, obviously I was a little confusing - Jules & Ivy had three eggs, now down to two.  The two eggs I transferred to the nest-tray looked fine so we will keep our fingers crossed for them.

Estimated hatch watch start date: June 1  - we think they began hard incubation on the 4th, but the weather has been cold and she's twitchy and at the beginning of incubation jumped off the eggs at the drop of a hat (no, no one is dropping hats on her  ;)) just very excitable.  She has calmed down now and is sticking better.  Question will be if she has spent too much time off the eggs and/or if the cold will slow the hatch down.  We will let you know what we see ...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #285 on: May 19, 2009, 10:50 »
Great news on the tray Tracy. to bad about the egg but one is better than none and let us cross our fingers that it hatches .
It is great that you can check things out also. :) :)

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #284 on: May 19, 2009, 08:44 »
Yup, it worked last year for Radisson! 

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
« Reply #283 on: May 19, 2009, 00:37 »
one egg sounds like a good way for a new pair to learn stuff, so best of luck!   :D

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #282 on: May 18, 2009, 22:50 »
Great work all!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #281 on: May 18, 2009, 19:58 »
So glad you were able to them out Tracy and sorry about the lost egg, I hope they have a successful hatch this year.  At least now they may have a better chance and you will be able to monitor them whenever you want without disturbing them.  

You guys are great  ;D

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #280 on: May 18, 2009, 19:51 »
Awe...poor things.

Let's all hope that this one egg Jules and Ivy have hatch!  If not...they have a nest tray for next year.  Baby steps...and it's an invite for them to nest next year!  Positive thinking here folks!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #279 on: May 18, 2009, 19:46 »
Dennis got some wonderful photos folks don't let him fool you.  And while Dennis was snapping pics, Larry and I were busy installing a nest-tray under the eggs and a camera so that we can check on the eggs/nest-tray without having to access the site every other day - access isn't convenient and we don't want to scare the birds off the nest any more often than we need/needed to. 

Anywho, Jules watched us for a little while when we arrived but didn't hop off her eggs to berate us until we actually started to install the camera and the nest-tray  I did the box, Larry handled the technology.  Jules took to the new tray after checking it out very (very) thoroughly.  We also installed a little shield to provide her with a bit more privacy which might help her to not leap off the eggs whenever she gets spooked.  We hope this will help her as a first-time mother in a less than ideal peregrine nest site.  She got back on her eggs eventually (or it just seemed like eventually) and settled down to incubating. 

She's pretty protected from the wind - certainly from the north and east, so that's a help.  They are now down to one egg, we found the third egg on the other end of the nest-site ledge with a concave break on one side.  Can't tell how long its been "out" but its definitely gone.

Dennis and I have some photos on our cameras, not sure when I will get the first of the cam images, but will post them all when I can.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #278 on: May 18, 2009, 19:22 »
We are going to take a run past the West Winnipeg site tomorrow Dennis and I - hopefully that will more photos and tales to tell ....

I'm sure TPC will be posting soon...did show her a couple of photos that I captured. Perhaps it was the wind or the sounds of motors running...think she said "is that the best you got"  ;) :P
Cheers !