Author Topic: Project Video Gallery on YouTube  (Read 10051 times)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: New YouTube Channel Design - 2012
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 19:04 »
YouTube was bought out by Google in 2006 and now they have decided to change the look of the channels.  The front page looks fine but when you go to the video page to watch it there, there is crap all over the place, it really is horrible.  Apparently we can use the old template up until March 1st, then everyone is automatically switched over, too bad.  There is a huge protest on the web, no one likes the new design and only a few are willing to "go quietly" because they know this is all in pursuit of money.

The site seemed to function fine the way it was, I had no issues with it.  Maybe the people who run it think they needed to have something new and improved.  ::) 

Maybe enough people will protest and they will leave it the way is was...............I am not going to hold my breath though!!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 10:24 »
Thanks bcbird, appreciate the comments.  I'm thinking I might have a link on the blog and/or elsewhere with a list of links to the videos in "larger" screen (not full screen) view that i think might work - that way folks can see the most recent videos without the distractions. 

Hope you enjoyed the ravens at least and I'll keeping working on the resolving my formatting issues with YouTube.  :-\

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 17:36 »
Hi TPC, I just checked out the two links you gave us.  I watched the ravens yesterday on the front page of your channel and wouldn't say I had any concerns.  When I checked the video page of all Channels, I understood what you meant by the strange list of suggested videos.  I wasn't seeing any sliders though.  I am easily distracted by visual clutter, and anytime I have the option, I watch video in the full screen.  That would be my only suggestion for a fix from clutter.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 15:58 »
As good a place as any RCF.  I was just doing some work on the YouTube site when I found the formatting changes to our channel.  The work I was doing was pulling off old videos to set up for this year - same as I do at the start of each year.  What is different this year is that we can now upload videos longer than 10 minutes long so I am going to add some of our best videos from previous years so that folks can go back and check out the chicks.  Plan is to put them up as I have the time.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 19:27 »
This may not pertain to the present subject at hand, but I would like to know where your videos of the 2011 peregrines are. I have searched your channel and can not find them.   ??? ???

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
New YouTube Channel Design - 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 15:16 »
I'd be interested in hearing what other folks have to say about the "new" YouTube design.

Front page of our Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/theperegrinechick
  • this is the one that looks okay (not as nice as the old templage) & which has the "featured" video on it and which you can watch without having to go to the individual video's page.

Video page on all Channels:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj2o-SXHcvc&list=UUtJCRdYISB51xxSCnejTbmw&index=1&feature=plcp
  • this is the one that looks like crap to me at least.  Can't do anything to hide the inane babble of suggested videos - they really do not have any idea what is of interest to me NOR what I would want to subject our viewers to.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Project Video Gallery on YouTube
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 15:14 »
YouTube was bought out by Google in 2006 and now they have decided to change the look of the channels.  The front page looks fine but when you go to the video page to watch it there, there is crap all over the place, it really is horrible.  Apparently we can use the old template up until March 1st, then everyone is automatically switched over, too bad.  There is a huge protest on the web, no one likes the new design and only a few are willing to "go quietly" because they know this is all in pursuit of money.

So what are the problems?  

First and in simplistic terms its messy, too much of none of the things you want.  In more precise terms, the system automatically gives you a whole list of "suggested videos" based on your preferences - even if you don't have preferences.  If you are just looking at our channel (i.e., not logged into YouTube), you get videos from wherever about who-knows-what.  If you are logged into YouTube and are looking at anything you get more video suggestions.  There is no way to turn them off and no way to control what is shown.  There is one suggestion but it won't work unless you are logged into your account on YouTube.  Its very offensive to the eye and the purpose of having a channel for the Project.  And yes, they know we aren't a person, rather an endangered species non-profit, its one of the reasons we now get to upload videos longer than 15 minutes.  Doesn't appear to make any difference however.

Second problem, they have sliders at the top and bottom of the page that do exactly the same thing, though it looks like they just show videos from the channel you are visiting.  Unfortunately, you can't see wht video is what and they look like heck.  Again horrible to the eye and from an operational standpoint.

Third problem, amazingly, even though the video box is techncially the largest space on the screen, its hard to watch the video and no be distracted by all the detritus around the edges.  I was watching the ravens and it was not an enjoyable experience.

So what to do?  

First, I'm going to look for somewhere else to put videos.

Second, I'm going to hunt around for other channels that appear not to get the same kind of inane stuff I have to look at (and everyone will be looking at their own version of innane video suggestions I'm afraid!) and see if I can't find out how/if they do something different to "fool" the system.  Don't have a whole lot of hope for this one, but going to try anyway.

Third, I'm going to recommend to folks that if the new design offends them as much as it offends me, then just watch whatever is the "featured" video unless you are looking for something very specific in which case you will have to go to the YouTube page and put up with the "mess".

Fourth, if all else fails learn to live with it until Google pays attention to the huge protest out there ... even less hopeful about this one.  Never did watch YouTube much, sure won't be now, not even our videos!!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 22:34 by The Peregrine Chick »