Author Topic: Logan - 2012 / Cowboy & Jolicoeur  (Read 32654 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Logan - 2012 / Cowboy & Jolicoeur
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2012, 09:59 »
Do they ever nest at the University TPC???

We have five university campuses in the province (4 in Winnipeg and 1 in Brandon) as well as (at least) 3 big college college campuses (2 in Winnipeg, 1 in Brandon) that are all near past/present nestsistes. 

Here at HSC there is the U of Manitoba's medical campus - in fact, the building they sit on, is the Buhler Building and it is part of the campus rather than part of the hospital itself.  As for the other campuses, we used to have a pair nest at the other U of M campus (U of M has two) but it was abandonned when T-Rex left his wife Burnsie to shack up with Madame at the Radisson.  T-Rex is Ivy's grandpa, so it appears the "lov'em-and-leav'em" gene jumped a generation and missed Trey.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 16:44 »
Do they ever nest at the University TPC???

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2012, 21:26 »
No falcon sighting this week at all at HSC... this evening at 7:00ish there were 7 crows on the rooftop just above letters on the Buhler building. 
I have been checking the CSC building on a daily basis - no falcons there, just lots and lots of pigeons.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2012, 19:41 »
What nobody was out today looking skyward...nobody driving past cranking their neck out the window while stopped at the light/driving down Portage. I drove all the way back from Elie to only find Jules perched where she shouldn't be perched ???
And then a run down town to see one perched in the nest box after finding nothing at HSC.
So after I finished my coffee break it was back to work.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 13:23 »
Go back to page 1. It was TPC that was discussing this.
Ah, yes, thanks for reminding me of this other female, bev. :) I had forgotten about her. But it sounds as if she has not been spotted lately, so may just have been passing through town, as TPC has noted.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 22:46 »
Hopefully Smiley will find a "friend" but not at HSC (sorry HSC gang!) it is too close to the Radisson to be anything but stressful for adults and chicks alike.  As for who he might find, well I'm not sure that the female that was at the Radisson prior to Princess' return is still around, we haven't had any sightings/reports of lone peregrines for quite awhile.  If it was Sandy, this will be her second spring eviction so chances are she will go where she went last year when the same thing happened to her.  But, it is only the beginning of April and birds are still on their way home ... so who knows who might fly through and catch his fancy ...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 20:01 »
Go back to page 1. It was TPC that was discussing this.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 19:57 »
no, I think it was posted that maybe another female was spotted here. Maybe Sandy???I will go back and read in case  I misunderstood. I knwo that last yer female here died. Sad :'(

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 13:51 »
Maybe the female that was here will  want Smiley as a mate.  :) :)

Do you mean the female that was here last year, bev? :-\ If you do, that was Kate and she died last August, apparently after hitting a building. Also, I don't think her mate, Cowboy has returned to Winnipeg this season.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 23:16 »
Maybe the female that was here will  want Smiley a a mate.  :) :)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 19:58 »
I'm going to say Smiley...some lunch date photos with Smiley at the Diner have been added.

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/west_wpg_2012

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 16:02 »
We think Smiley was out at HSC this morning/afternoon because:

1)  He's the only bird (male or female) we have observed in town with a W in his band number (ever)
2)  He's big for a male, or in comparison to our males, but his nestmate-sister, Alice, is huge and his mom Terminator is no tiny miss either
3)  He's still around which we wouldn't be surprised about since he only lost his chance to win Jules' affections in the last couple/three days

It could still be the female that was evicted from the Radisson by Princess but I would have expected that female if she was indeed injured during the fight to stay way clear of the Radisson territory - and we haven't seen a third bird in the downtown area (and we've been looking) since Princess returned home.  If the evicted female wasn't injured it has been long enough that she could easily have moved along to pastures less Princess'.

We'll try to keep an eye on him/the site and if we get a better look at his bands, we will of course let y'all know!!

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 12:08 »
Some birdie finally came back to visit HSC - yesterday at 2:00 p.m. some bird was sitting on the letter n, but I was driving and couldn't get a good look.  Will take another look at lunch time.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 14:50 »
Looks like she is busy with her friend downtown and doesn't come to 'burbs anymore.
Haven't seen her or any other birdie since Thursday morning.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 21:22 »
Looks like the female who has been hanging out here is also the female being spotted at the Radisson ... at least that's what it looks like from the photos. No id yet, other than it is an American female ...