Author Topic: Radisson - 2012 / Ivy & Princess  (Read 166247 times)

Offline Falcon watcher

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
Radisson - 2012 / March
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2012, 09:27 »
Sitting here reading the posts giddy with excitment.  I have a brand new pair of binoculars I am just dying to try out.....  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D YIPPEE!!!!!

Offline Mother Hen

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Radisson - 2012 / March
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2012, 07:01 »
Congrats to Cooper who saw for the very first time.....Cool isn't it?

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Radisson - 2012 / March
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2012, 05:43 »
While downtown last night, hubby saw somebirdie (Ivy?) fly to the west nestbox and ledge. Soon after, another pf
did a swift flyby and disappeared. Interloper? Lots of pigeons around. Let the season begin. Radisson Royals unite and claim your nestbox!  ;D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Radisson - 2012 / March
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2012, 18:30 »
At 1:50 p.m. birdie flew into the nest box (west side). Had a little turn around and flew right back out. I was on second floor of MTS looking up so could only see undersides. Her/his underside is very pale, even wings. Bib quite white, belly quite lacking in dark markings. Only underside of tail appeared dark. She/he looks smallish to me, but fluffy/puffy as opposed to sleek.

My first spotting. :)

This could be Ivy (who likes to visit the nestbox) if he's back or it could be the HSC bird checking out the accommodations .... hopefully the cams will be up and operating again soon and we'll be able to get a closer look at the newcomers ...

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Radisson - 2012 / March
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2012, 17:31 »
There is someone sitting on the west nest. 
Nice to see someone/anyone sitting in the neat again!

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Radisson - 2012 / March
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2012, 14:41 »
At 1:50 p.m. birdie flew into the nest box (west side). Had a little turn around and flew right back out. I was on second floor of MTS looking up so could only see undersides. Her/his underside is very pale, even wings. Bib quite white, belly quite lacking in dark markings. Only underside of tail appeared dark. She/he looks smallish to me, but fluffy/puffy as opposed to sleek.

My first spotting. :)

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Radisson - 2012 / March
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2012, 14:32 »
Can't believe that it's peregrine time again.  AAAARGHH, where do the years go?

Although, I'm also very HAPPY to see our feathered friends returning. Such is life! ;)

Offline wingnut

• Past Member
  • Egg
Radisson - 2012 / March
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2012, 11:16 »
I heard what I thought was a peregrine's call this morning (Crescentwood area) so checked this forum and turns out I wasn't dreaming!   ;D 

Offline Stormy

• Phanatic
  • Hatchling
Radisson - 2012 / March
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2012, 10:31 »
Now I know why you all are called Phanatics . . .  ;D

I don't post much, but I sure do enjoy reading everyone's sightings/comments . . . thank you for being you!

Offline Mother Hen

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Radisson - 2012 / March
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2012, 10:14 »
Hot dog stand on Broadway!!   LOL. To me the breast on the bird is very white...Still glad we have a pergrine amonst us....Feels good to know they are back don't you think?

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Radisson - 2012 / March
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2012, 20:17 »
Had an appt. in the downtown  this afternoon so took my binocs along with me. Checked out the Radisson area and "Trey's/Ivy's Perch" but, unfortunately, no bird in sight. :( Did pass a hotdog stand on Broadway, though, birdnut! :D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 20:19 by Kinderchick »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Radisson - 2012 / March
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2012, 12:10 »
Spotted 3 pm on monday March 12/2012 to be exact....for the records....So my coworkers photo of the Radisson not needed......

Mother Hen on March 12th at 1500h CDT for the records ... almost too bad we didn't have a "pool"!  :'(

Now if we only knew who we had  ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Radisson - 2012 / March
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2012, 12:08 »
Just posted this on the HSC thread ....

Little news from Dennis ... he was able to get a look at the HSC bird this morning as he passed through the area and it has a pink anodized band on one leg - that means its from the US Midwest.  He couldn't get a look at the other leg for the coloured band so we have no idea who it is.  Dennis is also of the mind that it could be a female. 

We are pretty confident however that it isn't Sandy or Princess as this bird's breast is much whiter than hers.  At the moment the bird's breast has a rusty wash on it (they get it during/after the breeding season) so it maybe doesn't look quite as white as we make it sound but basically we mean that the white part of the breast (wash or no) goes lower than on other birds.  Sandy and Princess have barring and speckles that come up to what would look like the collarbone area on a human.  Trey's barring was pale spots on his belly and white down to his belly (on a human, white to his navel).

So two mysteries:

1.  Is the HSC bird the same bird Pam photographed yesterday? at a distance and with the light shining on its breast, the wash would not be visible so all we can say is that the bird has more white on its breast than Sandy or Princess or even Jules.

2.  Who is this American bird?  We did have an American male come visit Sandy at the Radisson nestbox last autumn after Ivy and Princess had left.  If it's a male, it could be him.  We have never had a non-Manitoba male nest in the province - non-Manitoba females yes, but not males.  If it's a female, it looks to be a new bird ... mayhaps a relation of Kate's or Sandy's?  Maybe someone from Grand Forks - a kid of Terminator's from Brandon?  Or someone from even further afield?

And yes, Dennis did take a photo, but without that coloured band, we are still stuck with solving the mysteries  :D

So first bird or maybe first and second birds are back but perhaps not our resident birds yet ...

Offline Mother Hen

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Radisson - 2012 / March
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2012, 07:25 »
Spotted 3 pm on monday March 12/2012 to be exact....for the records....So my coworkers photo of the Radisson not needed......

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Radisson - 2012 / March
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2012, 21:49 »
Don't worry, Dennis, you'll get better at this id thing after a while..... ::)