Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2011 / ? & Radisson  (Read 40896 times)

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: U of Alberta - 2011 / ? & Radisson
« Reply #226 on: July 20, 2011, 12:44 »
Such sad news. I was so hopeful that all would go well for your chicks this year.

Offline ee_fudd

• Past Member
  • Egg
« Reply #225 on: July 20, 2011, 11:06 »
So sorry to hear about Green Girl    my heart goes out to Bev, Becky, Bob, Elaine and all the other lovely people who care.  Dropped by last weekend to watch the babies and learned many interesting things about these beautiful creatures.  Hope to get down again sometimes this week after work.  Plan to sign up for Fledgling Watch next year ...   take care,   elaine/dwight

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #224 on: July 20, 2011, 10:49 »
I am so sorry to hear about Green Girl.  My thoughts are with you Elaine and bev, and everyone else who work so hard to watch over these chicks. :'( :'(

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #223 on: July 20, 2011, 10:31 »
I realize that I was not clear on the details last night about our three remaining chicks.  Red Girl did not move from her position on the 9th floor of Windsor Tower, she stayed there the whole time I was there.  It was the two boys who kept flying around, as they both left the top of that cursed  heart institute and landed on Windsor, then Yellow flew behind Windsor, we couldn't see him, and I went down to the street to look for him, located him, but then he took off again and went over to the CSB; meanwhile, Blue Boy was on top of Windsor by this time, and he then flew over to the CSB, where he was at the time of my leaving.  By this time, Dad was on top of an aerial on a building close by, and Mom was gone, either getting food for Red Girl, who had not eaten all day and was screeching her displeasure, or, she was possibly looking for her missing chick, Green Girl. 

The boys are flying well, and I am not worried much about them; it is Red Girl who I am worried about.  Bev, I expect, is down at the site this morning, and Peter will join her later, and Bob and Carol will be down tonight.  I pray everything goes well.  We are all so sad about Green Girl's death, especially Bev.   

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #222 on: July 20, 2011, 08:54 »
I hadn't read the posts here so I was catching up and read Bev's posts and they were so nice and things looks so good for the Edmonton birds.  And then read on a bit further to find that one of the chicks had an accident and died.  Just so sad.   

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #221 on: July 20, 2011, 07:55 »
This is such sad news -- I'm sorry.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #220 on: July 20, 2011, 07:38 »
Oh, Elaine & bev and all in Edmonton who are watching over the birds, I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your Green Girl. How very sad to hear. :'( I know that you all have been working very hard to protect and ensure that they fledge successfully. My heart goes out to you. :-*

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #219 on: July 20, 2011, 05:11 »
I am so sorry to hear the sad news about green girl :'( :'(

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #218 on: July 20, 2011, 04:56 »
I"m so very sorry to read this news, my heart goes out to all of you.  :'(

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #217 on: July 20, 2011, 00:01 »
This is sad news to hear, Elaine.
It must be very hard on all of you.
 I'm so sorry.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #216 on: July 19, 2011, 23:41 »
I am sorry to say we lost Green Girl tonight.  When I arrived, all the chicks were accounted for, the two boys on the heart institute, Red Girl on the 9th floor of the Windsor Tower, and Green Girl on top of a 6-story building near by.  While Peter and I were watching GG preen herself and shake off the rain, she suddenly took off, flying very low, and went around to the back of the heart institute, where we could not see her.  Peter and Dave took off running, while Becky watched the other chicks and I watched for GG from the top of the parkade, then when Dave returned with no sign of GG or Peter, I went to look for her.  By this time, Peter had found her, and was on his way back with the bad news.  She had hit the window by the Emergency entrance, and broke her neck.  A  paramedic had picked her up just as Peter arrived.  When we got this news, we were all so upset, but we had to focus on the remaining three chicks, who picked this moment to fly all over the place, and we did some more running around to track them down.  Eventually we found them all, and by the time I left at dusk, they were safe and sound, Dave had left, and Peter, Becky and Barb were preparing to leave.  I hope nothing further happened; we did not need any more distress this evening.

p.s.  Becky is taking care of the body until the biologist can come and get her. 

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #215 on: July 18, 2011, 23:49 »
BEtween 11am and noon  dad came over to YB and off they went. He was giving YB his first soaring lesson. It was amazing to watch and we had an audience behind us watching in awe as Dad guided YB. I took a lot of photos and these I will get posted tomorrow. Just so little time.   YB is a natural. I t just fills my heart  :-* every time I watch this.

Bev, this description causes a lump in my throat.
Nature gives us some beautiful sights.
Thanks for sharing.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #214 on: July 18, 2011, 22:46 »
Oh bev, what a day for all of you! :o So I hope I have this straight...GG fledged, RG hit a building and came down to the ground, Radisson & YB were attacked by an intruder. :o Holy smokes, that's just entirely too much for one day! You put in such long hours for these lovely birds. They are very lucky. I'm so happy that all the birds are fine, for the time being. :)

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #213 on: July 18, 2011, 22:39 »
Wow what a saga. You must be bushed. Thanks for the play by play!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #212 on: July 18, 2011, 22:17 »
Part 2 july18/2011

WE saw both adults usher out ravens and shorty after, Radisson had a catch  on College Plaza. She did not even get started defeathering , when in flew YB. He wanted it now. ::) ::)  Radisson flew off , with YB in hot pursuit. Was he ever shocked to see that  Radisson left prey at ledge  ;D ;D

A short time later YB flew over to College Plaza and ended up on rim above  the ledge ,that had prey. He could not figure how to get in. Dad came over and proceeded to defeather and eat some of bird. YB was not happy  :( :(but I am sure Dad did this to get him to get on ledge. About 30 minutes later YB ended up on ledge and off dad went . YB had a good meal.

Then it was quiet for awhile . We watched as RG and BB beaked each other. So cute. YB flew over to top roof of Maz and then over to nest box roof and spent a few hours there chilling.

At about 3pm GG was flap hopping and flap flying on ledge of nest building. And then off she was. Way over to top of college plaza.She was there and just missed her landing and slipped, but she veered off and flew back to lower roof of Maz.( a very good flight for her.)  Josephine and I are yelling , up up up . and then a big cheer.  ;D ;D  This was Josephine s first time witnessing a fledge and she was so excited and I was thrilled she got to witness it.

I phoned Peter and told him the sooner the better to come down. I just could see RG was going to take off, and  I was tapped for the day.

Just after 4:30pm. she lifted off but could not get the height for ledge of clinical building. So she gently touched it and then swung around and hit jut of Clincial and then veered off and tried to get back up on Maz but there was not enough room for her to get her height., and she gently hit and slid down . Becky and I just took off running , down 5 flights of stairs ,with Peter behind with box.

RG is huge and just gorgeous.

And as we came out of door , who was staring at us, but RG. She must have flown as she got low, on side of Maz and came to ground across at parkade where we were. now some would have used this for a photos shoot, but I do not believe in this. Our goal is to create as little stress as possible.
Becky stood in front of RG, while  I directed people away from her and Peter came up from behind and gently threw table cloth over her. She was walking a bit , a bit but Peter scooped her up , without gloves and put her in box.

WE got right over to place where  I had a room booked, where we  could keep her and wait for our rehab lady and security. Gord told us what to look for but Patti was very thorough in her exam. After she said RG was good to go , Peter called security and took her up and released her on roof below box.

Radisson went nuts but RG went right up onto ledge.

I got back to parkade and we had another crisis. Radisson had just fed kids on Maz when she was attacked from behind. As she was chasing the intruder away, it took a swipe at YB who just stood still on roof box . there was a few swipes in the air, as Radisson ran it out and perched on College Plaza . She did not see RG go down ,as she was not around. To make matters worse we had not seen DAd in 2.5 hours and all sorts of things were going through our heads ,  I did not leave till I saw Dad at about 6:30pm

so when I left , RG was on roof ledge of clinical science and YB was on top roof of Maz and GG and BB were on lower roof of Maz.  and both adults  in sight.
Gord thinks it could be lone female from high  level bridge. Her man is with Radisson.

what a day, one of highs , lows , sweating and cheering. and Peter will give you his report tomorrow. It is good(I will keep you in suspense)

bob and Carol are with him singing in the rain.

and  now I am going to la la land.